IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nebula Gray Pearl or Obsidian?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 12:17 PM
Austin1210
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nebula Gray Pearl or Obsidian?

Getting a 2014 IS 350 F- Sport and can't decide on the color. I am between Nebula Gray Pearl and Obsidian. Does one hide scratches and swirl marks better than the other? Anything else I should know? Thanks!
Old 06-01-16, 12:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Nebula does a reasonable job of hiding swirls and scratches, whereas obsidian seems to highlight every flaw. Huge difference in the two in terms of maintenance and upkeep.
Old 06-01-16, 12:29 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

atomic is what i have. its a good medium for both colors and looks great!

Last edited by robert2423; 06-01-16 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 12:46 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I love a clean black car. But, seeing swirls and the like every time I walked up to the car would drive me crazy. I went with Nebula and absolutely love the color. If you choose black, seriously consider a paint coating if swirl marks will bother you.
Old 06-01-16, 01:17 PM
Austin1210
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I am very **** about keeping my vehicles clean with no scratches/dings/swirls period. I was worried the black will show everything, but when can you find a black that doesn't. I appreciate everyone's input. -Austin

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I love a clean black car. But, seeing swirls and the like every time I walked up to the car would drive me crazy. I went with Nebula and absolutely love the color. If you choose black, seriously consider a paint coating if swirl marks will bother you.
Old 06-01-16, 01:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Agreed.

My RX is NGP and I love it.
Old 06-01-16, 02:32 PM
Austin1210
Driver School Candidate

Are you happy with the day to day look of your CVTs? I was thinking those or the VSF/2 graphite. If you could change them out now would you still stick with graphite?

Old 06-01-16, 02:39 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin1210
Are you happy with the day to day look of your CVTs? I was thinking those or the VSF/2 graphite. If you could change them out now would you still stick with graphite?
I am very happy with the graphite. Would I choose graphite again?.........I would.
I think black wheels look really good, too, but around here everybody has black rims. I like that mine are a little different.

Lately, I've been getting a lot of random compliments on my car.
Old 06-01-16, 03:14 PM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

I love the Nebula Gray. The NGP IS looks so sexy at night.
Old 06-01-16, 03:39 PM
Austin1210
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I agree. I have had 3 Darker Gray Cars. I was hoping for a reason to jump into black, but gray wins again. I tint my cars 5% around and 50% front windshield and really like the look of the tint against the gray.

Originally Posted by patnatty
I love the Nebula Gray. The NGP IS looks so sexy at night.
Old 06-01-16, 03:57 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by robert2423
atomic is what i have. its a good medium for both colors and looks great!
I agree. I was between NGP, black, and atomic silver and chose the unique atomic silver. It's a nice blend of darkish silver.

But any color looks good on this car.
Old 06-04-16, 06:05 AM
Austin1210
Driver School Candidate

I am heavily leaning towards the Atomic Silver after seeing all the colors lined up next to each other. Normally I can choose a color pretty quickly on a car, but youre right every color looks great!

Originally Posted by CarlitoIS
I agree. I was between NGP, black, and atomic silver and chose the unique atomic silver. It's a nice blend of darkish silver.

But any color looks good on this car.
Old 06-05-16, 05:27 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your **** about keeping your car clean then I definitely would not get the black. I had a black iS and it is by far the easiest paint to scratch and I was taking care of it very carefully and my car was glass coated and the paint is ridiculously and easily prone to scratches. Now don't get me wrong it's a gorgeous color and I loved it but it was just way too much maintenance. It even frustrated my detailer. Lately I've been sticking with the ultra white it's just way easier to maintain than black and I'm very happy with it. I keep leaning towards atomic silver for my newest car when I get it but just am concerned with any swirls showing up on the silver. Not trading my RC yet waiting to see what the 2017 Is looks like
Old 06-05-16, 07:18 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obsidian, when taken care of properly, can yield the best satisfaction like no other color ever will, BUT, only get Obsidian if you:

1. Always park away from all the other cars
2. Always keep a long distance between you and the car in front of you
3. Always wash it the right way(meaning no dealership automatic wash or improper wash technique)

then you can have a flawless shiny black paint
Old 06-05-16, 07:35 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get many compliments in person on my black, I just wash it myself and take good care of it. I think black is the best if its kept well.

Quick Reply: Nebula Gray Pearl or Obsidian?