IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need help removing the tail light assembly for my 2015 IS 250

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 09:38 PM
scribbler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help removing the tail light assembly for my 2015 IS 250

Hey guys, last week a tree branch fell and shattered my tail light. It's covered by insurance but I have a $500 deductible so I decided to try DYI replacing the tail light assembly that goes into the passenger quarter panel.

I was able to remove the assembly and detach the turn signal bulb, but I can't figure out how to detach the LED connector. Here's a picture. If I turn in the direction of the arrow it just stops and won't turn any further. I've tried jiggling and pulling but I don't want to break anything.

I've scoured Google and this forum but I'm only finding results for the previous generation IS which had 3 bulbs that were pretty easy to take out. It's like I'm the only person on the internet who has wanted to swap out the tail light for this model! So is it possible to remove this myself or am I going to have to take it into the shop? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-23-16, 07:36 AM
JustNoize
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I just broke my tab this weekend doing my led reflectors you have to turn it away from the arrow!
Old 05-23-16, 08:50 AM
scribbler
Driver School Candidate

You were able to remove the wires connecting to the LED? That little tab that pokes out in the picture (in the 5 o clock position) is on like a stepped ledge -- sorry I don't know how to explain it. If I spin in the direction of the arrow it stops after like a millimeter. If I spin the opposite direction it hits the next step up. Are you saying I have to lift the tab over that little step and continue twisting in the opposite direction?
Old 05-23-16, 09:20 AM
JustNoize
Driver

Originally Posted by scribbler
You were able to remove the wires connecting to the LED? That little tab that pokes out in the picture (in the 5 o clock position) is on like a stepped ledge -- sorry I don't know how to explain it. If I spin in the direction of the arrow it stops after like a millimeter. If I spin the opposite direction it hits the next step up. Are you saying I have to lift the tab over that little step and continue twisting in the opposite direction?
HMM... you have me 2nd guessing myself, but then again mine is broken so i no longer have to worry about that dumb tab, but im telling you try turning that way, once that gray piece unlocks you will have a clip form the other side of that piece to the light, you can then unclip it like a normal automotive light connector an Vio-La Its off
Old 05-23-16, 10:17 AM
scribbler
Driver School Candidate

Success! Thanks man, you just saved me $50 to do it at the dealership. For anyone reading this in the future:

Here is a little diagram

Using pliers get underneath the tab circled in orange. Gently lift and push the tab in the direction of the orange arrow. It should twist out just like the turn signal bulb. Then, like JustNoize said, once you remove that cover there are more wires underneath leading to the connection for the LED. Just pinch that and pull out.
Old 05-23-16, 11:51 AM
JustNoize
Driver

Success! Thanks man, you just saved me $50 to do it at the dealership. For anyone reading this in the future:

Here is a little diagram

Using pliers get underneath the tab circled in orange. Gently lift and push the tab in the direction of the orange arrow. It should twist out just like the turn signal bulb. Then, like JustNoize said, once you remove that cover there are more wires underneath leading to the connection for the LED. Just pinch that and pull out.

payment is accepted in the form of amazon.com gift cards. PM me for my address
Old 05-23-16, 01:01 PM
scribbler
Driver School Candidate

If I didn't just drop $300 on this tail light I'd send some cash your way! lol
Old 05-23-16, 02:58 PM
JustNoize
Driver

If I didn't just drop $300 on this tail light I'd send some cash your way! lol