IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Drifting/wheelspin question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 10:35 PM
jd93
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drifting/wheelspin question

Probably a dumb question but I've been driving in the snow with my 2015 is250 awd fsport for the first winter and am trying to figure out the traction system.

I assume pressing the traction button once turns off just the traction, where as holding it down for 5 seconds turns off traction and some sort of stability system correct?

What light is flashing on my dash when I disable these systems and attempt to slide or drift around in a snow covered parking lot? It quickly illuminates and flashes and disappears almost like it's just telling me the wheels are spinning? Or is this some sort of third traction system that I'm not properly disabling?
Old 01-24-16, 06:57 AM
Dizordered
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jd93
Probably a dumb question but I've been driving in the snow with my 2015 is250 awd fsport for the first winter and am trying to figure out the traction system.

I assume pressing the traction button once turns off just the traction, where as holding it down for 5 seconds turns off traction and some sort of stability system correct?

What light is flashing on my dash when I disable these systems and attempt to slide or drift around in a snow covered parking lot? It quickly illuminates and flashes and disappears almost like it's just telling me the wheels are spinning? Or is this some sort of third traction system that I'm not properly disabling?
Me too, I've been trying to figure it out. What i noticed though, when the traction control button is pressed once, it prevents the system to correct wheel spin at low speeds only... as soon as i give it a bit of gas, traction control takes over. I'm guessing this is only to help you get out when you're stuck in heavy snow from a parking....

To completely turn it off, the car has to be at a complete stop. Press and hold the traction button until you see a light on the left of your dash. Then, everything is off and you can drift freely!!

I know torque split is 70%rear and 30%front and that it becomes 50:50 when there are wheel slips. Is there a way to control that?!

i mean, you completely turn off traction control, and even turn on snow mode... or whatever. How can you control the torque split? Is there a way like to lock it 50:50?

Snow mode: i realised it only kills the gas input and allows you to start in 2nd gear. I thought it would control torque split somehow.....

Last edited by Dizordered; 01-24-16 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 09:51 AM
jd93
Driver

Originally Posted by Dizordered
Me too, I've been trying to figure it out. What i noticed though, when the traction control button is pressed once, it prevents the system to correct wheel spin at low speeds only... as soon as i give it a bit of gas, traction control takes over. I'm guessing this is only to help you get out when you're stuck in heavy snow from a parking....

To completely turn it off, the car has to be at a complete stop. Press and hold the traction button until you see a light on the left of your dash. Then, everything is off and you can drift freely!!

I know torque split is 70%rear and 30%front and that it becomes 50:50 when there are wheel slips. Is there a way to control that?!

i mean, you completely turn off traction control, and even turn on snow mode... or whatever. How can you control the torque split? Is there a way like to lock it 50:50?

Snow mode: i realised it only kills the gas input and allows you to start in 2nd gear. I thought it would control torque split somehow.....

Yeah once tractions fully disabled and I give it some gas the light illuminates on the dash, from what you said it's probably telling me that it's sending power to all 4 wheels equally now because it detected spin. I know if I'm just taking it easy or at low speeds sliding the light doesn't flash but when I press it hard it comes on, which makes it kind of unreliable and unpredictable when attempting to drift around.

Snow mode is garbage when trying to have fun in the snow, it cuts all the power to the wheels and starts out in a higher gear, haven't used it at all
Old 01-26-16, 09:16 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jd93

Snow mode is garbage when trying to have fun in the snow, it cuts all the power to the wheels and starts out in a higher gear, haven't used it at all
i dont know that it cuts power so much as lenghtens the amount of pedal travel to atain the same amount of actual throttle. Ex, sport-normal-eco-snow.

On my rwd 350 on snow mode i was able to easily navigate 8" of slush of 15 degree inclines this weekend (with winter tires) with no problem. In snow mode the level of interference from electronic nannies was very evident so snow mode might re-calibrate the traction control a little also but i cant confirm that
Old 01-26-16, 09:21 AM
jd93
Driver

Also, from what I've heard our awd cars are 70-30 split. when the car detects slip it engages 50-50, is it possible that putting the car into snow mode auto sets the car to 50-50 or is it the same as before and requires wheel spin to turn on 50-50? Anyone know anything about the AWD system?