IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Said Goodbye to My IS today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 10:35 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Sorry dude but I don't belive in the highlighted BS. If one has opportunity to do so, it's better to dream big, shoot for, and always target more than "comfortable". Real Estate should come first before cars which sets you up for life.
On top of that. Electrical engineers are what makes our digital world today work. I'm in the engineering field and there is PLENTY of money to be made.

Also. If Lexus doesn't adapt Android auto by the time i'm looking for my next car I wont be looking at Lexus at all.
Old 09-07-17, 02:32 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
On top of that. Electrical engineers are what makes our digital world today work. I'm in the engineering field and there is PLENTY of money to be made.

Also. If Lexus doesn't adapt Android auto by the time i'm looking for my next car I wont be looking at Lexus at all.
​​​​​​Word, another engineer. What is your discipline/what is your focus?

I really do want android auto. But really don't know if/when we'll get it. Lexus doesn't really seem to be for the integration. But I'm curious, we don't have Android auto or car play. But we have Siri Hands Free 🤔?
Old 09-07-17, 02:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormryu

I really do want android auto. But really don't know if/when we'll get it. Lexus doesn't really seem to be for the integration. But I'm curious, we don't have Android auto or car play. But we have Siri Hands Free 🤔?
Lexus has already signed a contract with Apple for Carplay and is reportedly in negotiations for Android Auto. Carplay is supposed to be introduced with Lexus on the upcoming ES sedan.
Old 09-07-17, 04:42 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Lexus has already signed a contract with Apple for Carplay and is reportedly in negotiations for Android Auto. Carplay is supposed to be introduced with Lexus on the upcoming ES sedan.

do you have any idea of why Lexus has Siri hands-free but doesn't have full-blown car play? Like at this point, why did Lexus think that Siri hands-free was enough but waited this long for car play & Android auto?
Old 09-07-17, 05:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Reportedly the reason for the delay on CarPlay was because Lexus and Apple were in disagreement about how Apple handles customer data. Apparently Apple doesn't collect the same info for Siri.
Old 09-09-17, 07:13 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Well guys, it's been about 2 months and 1200 miles since I got the GS. I've had a few requests for info about how the two cars compare, so I thought I'd provide a little comparison of the two, detailing what I find are the positives and negatives of each in relation to each other. Again, just my opinions and experiences thus far. ... Overall I'm very happy with the GS, just as I was with the IS. I think they are both fantastic cars and there are no wrong choices here. For me, with a 4 member family (two of which are in car seats), we fit better in the GS. The GS is a lot more car, and since I bought my IS when deals were few and the GS when deals were plentiful, I didn't have to pay much for it.
Sometimes I drive my cars back to back, right after each other, for example going to work every day or running errands I drive the IS, and to pick up several folks at the airport with luggage or going out for a night when I'm the DD, I'll take the GS.

Because the GS is bigger & heavier (of course not like a truck or SUV - just comparing IS vs GS), I feel more safe, secure, and solid in the GS over the IS, especially as it applies to passengers or driving ~100 mph. Is this completely moot/whack or do you perceive the same?

Last edited by LaZeR; 09-09-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 06:49 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormryu

I work mostly with industrial automation and also do some virtual systems architecture. Fun stuff.

I understand their are licensing issues with Apple Carplay and Android Auto but for the sake of competition they need to get it done. My girlsfriends 17' Civic Hatch which is 25k less MSRP than anything Lexus offers came with both.