IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Said Goodbye to My IS today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 08:01 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I scored my 15 GS on close out as they were making room for the 16s. Lexus had a $5k rebate and dealer knocked another $5k off. The prices I discussed were the negotiated sales price, so taxes and fees on top of that.
Ohh I see. So your IS was roughly 51-52k OTD, and GS was 54-55k OTD.
Old 02-17-16, 08:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

^^ Yes, that's correct. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-03-17, 08:31 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question

... - Fuel mileage. My normal driving in my IS350 AWD would yield averages around 18-20, almost always in Normal mode with occasional stints in Sport mode, but never in Eco mode. In the GS, if I use Eco mode and baby it I can get 16. In normal mode I'm down around 14 mpg. Let's not even discuss Sport + or Sport S+. ...
WOW ~ just happened to stumble across this thread ~ who else is surprised by these numbers??

Consider, for example, ALWAYS driving spiritedly ONLY in Sport(+) & Normal mode in BOTH the IS & GS. In this case, according to your records, would it be fair to estimate that the GS might average 12 mpg, and conservatively speaking, the IS averaging 16 mpg?

Then again, given the mpg above, say over the course of 10,000 miles per year, and gas at $3 per gallon, relative savings aren't very significant. Plugged in some numbers here, and savings are around $625 per year.

PS >>> I have an old GS300, for a new car my 2nd choice boiled down to a 4th gen GS350 FSport RWD, but ended up buying a 3rd gen IS350 FSport RWD, and still think gas mileage sucks!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 09-03-17 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 02:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Luckily, that was when new and now that the GS is broken in, I get about 1 mpg less in the GS than I did in the IS.

If I run it in Sport S+ and accelerate aggressively I'm around 16-17 in the GS. In normal driving (mostly urban), in mostly Normal mode with occasional stints in Sport S and Sport S+, I'm averaging around 17-19 in the GS.

Oddly enough though, I've topped out higher in the GS than I ever did in the IS. The highest I ever achieved on a highway trip in the IS350 AWD was 25.8 mpg. In the GS350 AWD I've hit 28.4 mpg (same 210 mile trip on both the IS and GS).
Old 09-05-17, 04:43 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry My current biggest issue with Lexus

- Features in an F Sport. When you select the F Sport package on the GS, you don't have to sacrifice things like memory seats or power folding mirrors. My IS was fairly minimally equipped, so on the GS I am enjoying things like memory seats, Mark Levinson, heated steering wheel, remote start, 16 way driver's seat, automatic seat heating/ventilation, dual pane glass, etc.

Why can't they do that for the IS? I'm currently looking to get an IS in a couple of months and prefer the styling of the F-Sport, but love the features of the non F-Sport. Would love to get power folding mirrors on the IS but I know that's unfortunately not an option.
Old 09-05-17, 06:31 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stormryu
Why can't they do that for the IS? ...
They CAN but won't. If Lexus offered those options on the IS, with the packages the way they are now, they'd have to incorporate several different more factory assembly lines. Are you going to buy or lease?

On another note, adding to the OP's list, GS also feels more solid just sitting in it, and better visibility all around.

IS gives ya more unique styling, better maneuverability, fold down rear seats for your skis & surfboard, and it feels lighter (which of course it is) like always having one less person in the car.

Last edited by LaZeR; 09-05-17 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stormryu (09-07-17)
Old 09-05-17, 08:17 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Originally Posted by LaZeR
They CAN but won't. If Lexus offered those options on the IS, with the packages the way they are now, they'd have to incorporate several different more factory assembly lines. Are you going to buy or lease?

On another note, adding to the OP's list, GS also feels more solid just sitting in it, and better visibility all around.

IS gives ya more unique styling, better maneuverability, fold down rear seats for your skis & surfboard, and it feels lighter (which of course it is) like always having one less person in the car.
Yea, I figured something like that to be the case. Not to mention that adding all that would cost more money. I would definitely be willing to pay the extra cost to be able to add those options, but it is what it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I do love the GS body maybe even more so than the IS (Especially the GS-F and can definitely believe people saying it rides smoother and is more refined). But at this point in my life (about to finish college), I rather go for the smaller more maneuverable car and step up to the GS F in about 5-6 years.

I plan on buying the IS around this time next year. I see that the re-design is set to happen for next years model? http://www.autonews.com/section/futtable04

I can't find anything that is anticipated to be updated even though I do some really deep searches. But that is to be expected as the '18s haven't even been released yet. I am happy that they have updated the infotainment screen size starting with the '17s and added LSS+ as standard.
Old 09-05-17, 08:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

It's just a North America thing. In the U.K. you can get an F Sport with real leather. In Japan you can get EVERYTHING on an F Sport (leather, memory seats, parking sensors, etc).
Stormryu (09-06-17)
Old 09-05-17, 08:51 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

... I do love the GS body maybe even more so than the IS (Especially the GS-F and can definitely believe people saying it rides smoother and is more refined). But at this point in my life (about to finish college), I rather go for the smaller more maneuverable car and step up to the GS F in about 5-6 years ...
Ya well wished I could afford a $90,000 car a few years after college!! Even a CPO GS-F (if you could ever find one) runs around $70+/- grand $$$.

Brand New there's around a $10,000 difference in GS vs IS. At least GS is relatively affordable, and many CPO GS350 FSport that are newer and with less mileage are just a couple grand more $$, or priced even lower than CPO IS350 FSport that are older and with higher mileage. (Check the pricing at Lexus dealerships which I do quite often). This is a perplexing phenomenon resulting from such high demand for IS. Folks SNAP up (not allowed to use the word s-n-a-t-c-h CPO.

If you take both FSport RWD GS350 and IS350 to a winding track averaging 130 mph the IS is gonna win

Last edited by LaZeR; 09-05-17 at 10:27 PM.
Stormryu (09-07-17)
Old 09-05-17, 08:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't expect a full IS redesign for a few years. The 2IS ran from 2006-2013, so 8 model years. The 3IS is only 4-5 years in.
Old 09-06-17, 10:54 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I scored my 15 GS on close out as they were making room for the 16s. Lexus had a $5k rebate and dealer knocked another $5k off. The prices I discussed were the negotiated sales price, so taxes and fees on top of that.
so his IS was not really OTD because OTD figures usually include taxes and fees.
Old 09-06-17, 11:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davyjordi
so his IS was not really OTD because OTD figures usually include taxes and fees.
Correct. I do not use OTD figures, but rather the negotiated sales price. To me, OTD figures aren't a good baseline because every state has different taxes and fees. For example, our neighbor Oregon has no sales tax, yet here in Washington we're over 10%. Not sure what other states charge for license tabs, but mine are over $700 per car here in my part of WA.
Old 09-07-17, 09:22 AM
Stormryu
Rookie

Default All aspirations after getting my EE degree.

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Ya well wished I could afford a $90,000 car a few years after college!! Even a CPO GS-F (if you could ever find one) runs around $70+/- grand $$$.

Brand New there's around a $10,000 difference in GS vs IS. At least GS is relatively affordable, and many CPO GS350 FSport that are newer and with less mileage are just a couple grand more $$, or priced even lower than CPO IS350 FSport that are older and with higher mileage. (Check the pricing at Lexus dealerships which I do quite often). This is a perplexing phenomenon resulting from such high demand for IS. Folks SNAP up (not allowed to use the word s-n-a-t-c-h CPO.

If you take both FSport RWD GS350 and IS350 to a winding track averaging 130 mph the IS is gonna win

it's a good thing I didn't start off with the fact that I plan on (Well, want to anyway) buying a NEW 911 Carrera 4 GTS which I priced out to be at
$136K about 2 years after the GSF or before the GSF.

(reason I want the GSF other than my appreciation for it, is because I need a car with 4 doors. Even before I start a family, I want a car with 4 doors. Coupes have never been my style until I really started appreciating the 911 (also appreciate the LFA, P1, 918) but those are another stratosphere .

I'm doing electrical engineering as an undergrad and it just so happens that the disciplines i'm trying to decide between (Radio Frequency/Power Distribution/Digital Signal processing) that I can make anywhere from a decent living to a really decent living. I'm not going to be rich or anything like that like a doctor would or a lawyer, but if I work hard enough I hope to be able to live comfortably. The reason why it's not going to be sooner, is because I'm going to be taking care of my mom and dad first. Move mom into a new house and get her a new car & also buy dad a new car. Mom worked 60+ hour weeks just to be able to get me tutoring throughout middle school and high school as well as buying my all sorts of gifts (video games, etc), over the years. The Least my deserves is to see me graduate, help move her, get her a new car and be there to help her like she has me since I was born, you know? None of it's guaranteed, but these are just some of the goals I set in which I hope to reach with some hard work. Hopefully I make it.

Back to the GSF

by the time I'm able to actually get a GSF (2022-2024) I wonder if they're still going to be having this 80-90k price base or if they're going to increase it when they put in the new engine and new tech? At its current price for brand new, I wish it had just a little more tech in it (android auto, 360 camera, different infotainment system input other than the mouse or a revised version) but it's not like I think the car at its current point is totally inept.

"If you take both FSport RWD GS350 and IS350 to a winding track averaging 130 mph the IS is gonna win "

​​​​​​I definitely believe the IS to be the better handler in the winding roads, (excited for the new LSD?) when compared to the GS cause of less weight. Can't wait to test drive one. I love my '08 legacy, but ole girl is starting to give small amount of problems here and there, even though I do my best to take care of her. Will always be my first car.

Unfortunately for me I'm going with the all-wheel drive version because of the snow seasons. I know you can get away with running a dedicated set of winter tires on the rear wheel drive version and doing well but I live in a hilly area so I'm definitely going to need that all-wheel drive so no LSD option for me. I'm constantly checking the prices for the IS semi-daily. I want the F Sport, but I want the luxury options so if they don't change the current way they do their packaging, I'm leaning towards forgoing the F-sport and getting the luxury package (hard to find an AWD F-SPORT with the Mark Levinson system. At least where I've been searching which has been about a thousand mile radius from me). Also I noticed the IS gets better reported gas milage when compared to its similar sister even though they're both rated at the same MPG and have same gas tank size.

Last edited by Stormryu; 09-07-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 09:36 AM
Stormryu
Rookie

Cool

I wouldn't expect a full IS redesign for a few years. The 2IS ran from 2006-2013, so 8 model years. The 3IS is only 4-5 years in.

Shhhhh. Let me hype myself by thinking We'll get an update next year, so I can be disappointed when it doesn't happen, so I can accuse you guys of not informing me that it wasn't going to happen in the first place and you guys allowed me to hype myself up in the first place, in which you link this EXACT thread in which you already told me it most likely wasn't going to happen. Which then is followed up with me not logging into my account for a couple weeks out of embarrassment.

Deal?
Old 09-07-17, 09:56 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

... I'm doing electrical engineering as an undergrad and it just so happens that the disciplines i'm trying to decide between (Radio Frequency/Power Distribution/Digital Signal processing) that I can make anywhere from a decent living to a really decent living. I'm not going to be rich or anything like that like a doctor would or a lawyer, but if I work hard enough I hope to be able to live comfortably.
Sorry dude but I don't belive in the highlighted BS. If one has opportunity to do so, it's better to dream big, shoot for, and always target more than "comfortable". Real Estate should come first before cars which sets you up for life.

Last edited by LaZeR; 09-07-17 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Said Goodbye to My IS today.