IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Replacement for stock sub (premium Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 02:39 AM
JediKnight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement for stock sub (premium Nav)

Hi Folks,

So I have come from a 2004 1IS straight into a 2015 3IS F-Sport with Premium Nav and enjoying everything about the new car - except the sub on the rear deck.

There are lots of posts about this and most are resulting in fitting a new sub with additional or replacement amp.

However, I frequently use the space in the boot so reducing this space is not an option.

I am investigating OEM style replacement of sub powered by an additional amp. The shallow mounting depth requirement of the JL Audio 10TW3-D4 currently has the spotlight. Of course, a suitable enclosure would be built under it. Picture of sub is below.

Does anyone have experience of this sub as replacement for the stock sub on rear deck?

Last edited by JediKnight; 11-19-15 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-19-15, 07:42 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oem sub is 8" dia so the hole would need to be enlarged on the rear deck. That means cutting metal. Or you need to find a way to mount the sub from the under side. I would look for an 8" sub with long linear excursion (xmax) so you don't need to build an enclosure.

Or you could take the approach I did. I'm using two 15" subs installed infinite baffle, same is free air. Where the trunk is essentially the enclosure. There are many advantages to this over sealed or ported subs. Such as no weight from a sub box or loss of trunk space. You could do something similar with two 10's or a 12 or whatever you choose. Here's my thread with pictures on the IB install. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml-system.html
Any sub that's designed for sealed box can play free air or IB (infinite baffle). They usually sound better playing that way too. The only thing you have to watch for is over driving it as there's no 'air spring' of the box to protect the sub from over excursion. If you set you gains correctly on the amp and enable the subsonic filter it won't be an issue.
Old 11-20-15, 08:14 PM
JediKnight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Gregerst. I checked out your thread. Nice :-) Two 15" subs?? WOW! Looks like a lot of fun!! I picture the scene from Back To The Future 1 where Marty McFly connects his guitar to a 10ft woofer, plays a single chord from his guitar and is blown half way across the room by the sound waves. Fun!

I hope there is no 'pop' at power off. If I arrived home and those subs 'popped', I'd have all the neighbors looking out their windows to see who had just fired a cannon!!

I imagine the sound from these bad boys would really add a new dimension to the movie trailer voice-over of Don LaFontaine or even the voice of Optimus Prime (Peter Cullen).

I visited an audio installer shop earlier this week to chat about my options. They had a demo car (sponsored by X-Fire) kitted out with 4 x 15" subs (it could have been 6!) They fired up one of their demo tracks. Now THAT was a Marty McFly moment!! Stuff was falling off the shop shelves!!

Last edited by JediKnight; 11-20-15 at 08:17 PM.