IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Audio signal for DSP question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 08:13 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audio signal for DSP question

Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody can answer this. I'm looking at getting an lexus is350 f sport with ML and was wondering if anybody knows how good the HU is as the source going to an aftermarket DSP like the mosconi or helix. I'm hoping the signal to the front channels are full range and flat so I can use them as the inputs. Is there any processing going on in the HU that would cause problems or is it all being done in the amplifier?
thanks.
Old 03-31-15, 03:43 AM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gregerst
Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody can answer this. I'm looking at getting an lexus is350 f sport with ML and was wondering if anybody knows how good the HU is as the source going to an aftermarket DSP like the mosconi or helix. I'm hoping the signal to the front channels are full range and flat so I can use them as the inputs. Is there any processing going on in the HU that would cause problems or is it all being done in the amplifier?
thanks.
I'll be using the ML headunit to feed into my Arc Audio PS8 processor. It should be up & running in the next week or so.
Old 03-31-15, 04:00 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the front channels aren't full range in signal. For a true full range signal, I would recommend a channel summing device such as LC6i, feed it into a DSP, and then feed it into an amp (or maybe feed it into an amp first, then into a DSP).

Our rear door speakers are labeled as "full-range" drivers, but in reality they fade way too much below 100hz. You could attempt to feel into the 2 channel speaker level input signals that sees full-range, but you may or may not get a strong enough signal to get quality sound.

Last edited by Loe; 03-31-15 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 06:45 AM
gregerst
Driver

Most DSP's like the Helix can do channel summing so there's no need for a convertor like the Audiocontrol. I was just curious as to whether anybody had verified the signal output from the head unit before the amp. Some cars employ the crossovers and any processing in an external amp (I'm hoping that is the case) Other vehicles mess with the audio signal in the HU itself.
Old 04-02-15, 06:48 AM
gregerst
Driver

Originally Posted by Fooz
I'll be using the ML headunit to feed into my Arc Audio PS8 processor. It should be up & running in the next week or so.
Cool. I'll be interested to know how that works out. A good audio shop will have access to an RTA that they'll be able to hookup to the output channels on the head unit to measure freq range and how flat the signal it is.
Old 04-02-15, 03:56 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gregerst
Cool. I'll be interested to know how that works out. A good audio shop will have access to an RTA that they'll be able to hookup to the output channels on the head unit to measure freq range and how flat the signal it is.
Yeah I'll let you know, they were supposed to be firing it up last night but haven't had any feedback yet.

They will be tuning with oscilloscope & RTA. These guys are number one in Australia so I'm sure they will work it all out.
Old 04-02-15, 10:21 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Why not just get the Line Level Audio full range that is passing Between the stereo to the amplifier?
Granted Volume **** from stereo will not probably not work anymore due to it being controls by BUS signal sent to amplifier but most aftermarket DSP have own **** anyways.
This way no worry of factory crossovers, etc.

See page 7-8 of wiring schematics to see what I mean
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-a...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-20-15, 12:03 AM
Fooz
Pole Position

My system has been finished for a couple of weeks now.

The line between the headunit & amp is digital so can't be tapped into. My tuner has mixed various outputs from the OEM amp to get the desired feed for the PS-8 processor to send to the amps. He also had to mix in some front middle as the navigation sound comes from here.

I can post up a pic of my PS-8 mixer GUI but probably only any good if someones runs a PS-8.

I'm extremely happy with the system, the only thing that lets the ML down is no lossless format USB inputs. I've been playing with a USB hard drive running AAC files which is the least lossy. So far I can now see the files on the headunit but they won't play. It seems the sampling rate & bit rates are pretty fussy. I have lossless music on my iPhone but the dreaded ipod error is hindering using that. Might have to buy a dedicated iPod or stick a media player straight into the processor.
Old 08-07-15, 05:59 AM
gregerst
Driver

So I ended up picking up a 14' IS350 F-sport without ML. Does anybody know what wires should be used as the inputs for an after market DSP. From my bit of research it appears that I need to use the front L+R channels after the factory amp in order to retain the factory HU controls. Can anyone confirm if this is the case or not? Again this is a non mark levinson system if it matters.
Old 12-27-19, 10:36 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm also interested in this question... Looking at the helix P6 and trying to find how to wire it up? Non ML system...
Old 02-25-20, 06:07 PM
dawnlik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This vehicle is pretty finicky. I have an audiocontrol dm-810, two 4 channel amps and a 2000 watt sub amp. I replaced every speaker except the factory sub. I just removed that and use it as a port. It’s been running nice since August 2019. I used all the factory amp outputs and summed channels to selected outputs and everything works fine. I also have a mechman 240 amp alternator and a Xs Power d3400 battery. I installed all myself and it took A WHILE!!! If you need Pointers I’m here.