IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Snow and front grill

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 10:56 AM
Lxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow and front grill

Surprisingly happy to hear the IS AWD handles as well as mentioned in some of the other posts. I am from New Engleand and thinking of a future purchase - so would be interested in others experiences. Specifically, winter driving and the front bumper grill ground clearance. I think I read it's somewhere around 6 inches? Does this cause any abnormal snow covered street issues? As one member in jest called the car a "luxury snow plow"?
Old 01-07-15, 12:05 PM
Lindenlea
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lxi
Surprisingly happy to hear the IS AWD handles as well as mentioned in some of the other posts. I am from New Engleand and thinking of a future purchase - so would be interested in others experiences. Specifically, winter driving and the front bumper grill ground clearance. I think I read it's somewhere around 6 inches? Does this cause any abnormal snow covered street issues? As one member in jest called the car a "luxury snow plow"?
There is no question that there is not great ground clearance on unplowed streets.But in reality,unless you live in the country and are travelling on unmaintained roads, it is not a big deal.I live in a city where there is snow for 5 months a year,and so far it has been a minor annoyance only, to clear a little bit of snow.
Old 01-07-15, 12:48 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Montreal and our streets are plowed at least 2 times during a snow storm and completely cleared within 24 hours, so I haven't had any issues. Exception : I had to drive one time in an badly plowed street (you know when you only have 2 tire tracks and the middle is a mess?). Thankfully it was powdery snow, nothing damaging, but I could hear snow on the undercarriage. I'm sure I suffered more than the car

On the other hand my brother works at a Lexus dealership and tells me they keep getting IS's with broken (literally) front grills because of snow/ice.

Bottom line : drive carefully and avoid bad streets if possible. That's the price to pay. If that's too much for you or if you live in a rural area, then consider another car.
Old 01-07-15, 01:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Whereas most vehicles clear a sidewalk or parking lot curb without concern, the IS doesn't so stay away from these and hard compacted snow.
Attached Thumbnails Snow and front grill-is_closecall.jpg  
Old 01-07-15, 04:52 PM
Lxi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all. Yeah, I suppose it's only those who live in this kind of climate that consider worrying about such things. I had a feeling a broken grill could be a possibility. Of course, it's awesome design is so worth the risk.
And no curbs!
Old 01-07-15, 09:56 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I driven through 30 cm of fresh, powdery snow with no damage. Any snow that has been sitting around for a few days even could partially melt or densify into real hard stuff, which I avoid.

As for the curbs, I found myself backing into spots much more often to avoid this. The front is notoriously low and doesn't clear typical curbs. Luckily, my office has the new half height curbs.
Old 01-08-15, 09:04 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Whereas most vehicles clear a sidewalk or parking lot curb without concern, the IS doesn't so stay away from these and hard compacted snow.
Are there any black plastic flaps under the front bumper for F-Sport IS?

For regular IS, there are two and I suspect some noise may occur when you exit or enter a mall/plaza where there is a deep curb/pavement joint. Those flaps may be noisy when they hit some compact snow.
Old 01-08-15, 09:49 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lxi
I have an IS F-Sport and I drive carefully It's all about being careful when you park or drive. Mind you that mine isn't lowered - yet I see you're in CT. What part of CT are you in? I'm in the New Haven area!
Old 01-08-15, 10:15 AM
Lxi
Driver School Candidate

And I'm in Avon. We get a lot of snow up here.
Where did you guys make your purchase, McDermott? I was down there the other day, spoke with Rob the general manager. Hoffman Lexus is closer to me, have to take trip out there. How was your experience with your dealer?

Last edited by Lxi; 01-08-15 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-08-15, 12:33 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lxi
And I'm in Avon. We get a lot of snow up here.
Where did you guys make your purchase, McDermott? I was down there the other day, spoke with Rob the general manager. Hoffman Lexus is closer to me, have to take trip out there. How was your experience with your dealer?
I see! Avon does get decent amounts of snow. Regarding McDermott Lexus, I will PM you.

Thanks
Old 02-03-15, 05:01 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just drove my car on some unplowed CT hilly roads after the recent snow storms here. No problems of any kind.

I did like the Contis on my old BMW better than the Bridgestones though (better stopping).
Old 02-03-15, 11:08 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get a lot of snow here, but even then I've had no real issues with scraping or anything, the rims usually fills up with snow, but there's not much in the grill. I'm assuming you get lots of wet snow, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, however, don't do any off-roading once the snow freezes over.

And from one New England fan to another:

Old 02-05-15, 06:43 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I just drove my car on some unplowed CT hilly roads after the recent snow storms here. No problems of any kind.

I did like the Contis on my old BMW better than the Bridgestones though (better stopping).
Yes, my cousin who owns a '14 IS350 F-Sport swapped his tires for some Contis. He says they're great in the snow!