IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tether Error

Old 01-05-15, 04:54 PM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tether Error

It happens quite often that I get a tether error trying to play Pandora via the App Suites. However, once I launch the Lexus Enform App on my phone, it will start to connect again. I don't think it's a bluetooth issue, because it happens even when my phone is connected. It's not a big deal, but it is an inconvenience when I'm driving and have to pick up the phone to launch the app.
Old 01-05-15, 05:14 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I jumped off the Enform ship. Too buggy and it seems slow just to set up every time I go in the car.

Bluetooth connection automatically plays the most recent media player from my phone (google music, spotify, pandora, soundcloud, etc) and I don't have to do anything but sit and turn on the car and drive. Maybe it differs from every phone because my HTC One didn't do this. When I got my OnePlusOne, it did it automatically so I'm a happy camper. Feels good when you don't have to take out your phone at all.

This might not apply to you if you use the Enform to check other stuff like yelp and facebook. I don't like using them other than through my mobile devices.
Old 01-05-15, 05:37 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drbazing
I jumped off the Enform ship. Too buggy and it seems slow just to set up every time I go in the car.

Bluetooth connection automatically plays the most recent media player from my phone (google music, spotify, pandora, soundcloud, etc) and I don't have to do anything but sit and turn on the car and drive. Maybe it differs from every phone because my HTC One didn't do this. When I got my OnePlusOne, it did it automatically so I'm a happy camper. Feels good when you don't have to take out your phone at all.

This might not apply to you if you use the Enform to check other stuff like yelp and facebook. I don't like using them other than through my mobile devices.
My iPhone 5s plays the last media player as well. Works much better than enform suite also better volume.
Old 01-06-15, 08:50 AM
Thunderwuf
Driver

I guess there are quite a few owners here not satisfied with Enform. I have the iPhone 5. When I do get it to play (by launching the app on phone first), the volume is good. It does sound much better than the satellite radio. Still wish they included a subwoofer in the audio package...
Old 01-06-15, 09:50 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thunderwuf
It happens quite often that I get a tether error trying to play Pandora via the App Suites. However, once I launch the Lexus Enform App on my phone, it will start to connect again. I don't think it's a bluetooth issue, because it happens even when my phone is connected. It's not a big deal, but it is an inconvenience when I'm driving and have to pick up the phone to launch the app.
I get the same error if the enform app is closed or needs to be refreshed on my iPhone. Once I refresh or reopen the app the car connects. Poor design IMO, not much to be done.
Old 01-06-15, 10:02 AM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Originally Posted by nixx621
I get the same error if the enform app is closed or needs to be refreshed on my iPhone. Once I refresh or reopen the app the car connects. Poor design IMO, not much to be done.
Good to know that I'm not alone. Oh well... Lexus did a lot of things right with the 3 IS, so I'll live with this one.
Old 01-06-15, 10:10 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

I received an Enform update on my car a few days ago that made the car's connection to my phone much better.
Old 01-06-15, 02:36 PM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
I received an Enform update on my car a few days ago that made the car's connection to my phone much better.
That's good to know, but I'm not sure if mine is already updated. I picked up the car only 2 weeks ago.
Old 01-06-15, 07:30 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
Was this an automatic update?
Old 01-07-15, 06:45 AM
aha2988
Driver School Candidate

dang.. was hoping someone had a solution lol. I enjoy running pandora through the app suite just for the convenience of thumbs uping or downing the music to further improve the station I'm on. I hated having to pull the phone out to thumbs down a song to prevent it from playing again. oh well..

Certainly hoping an update comes along to help the phone app and the car talk better at start up. Sometimes it pairs perfect without any help from me, other times it takes multiple attempts at launching the app, launching pandora, shutting down the app, shutting down app suite..

Last edited by aha2988; 01-08-15 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 08:11 AM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Originally Posted by aha2988
dang.. was hoping someone had a solution lol. I enjoy running pandora through the app suite just for the convince of thumbs uping or downing the music to further improve the station I'm on. I hated having to pull the phone out to thumbs down a song to prevent it from playing again. oh well..

Certainly hoping an update comes along to help the phone app and the car talk better at start up. Sometimes it pairs perfect without any help from me, other times it takes multiple attempts at launching the app, launching pandora, shutting down the app, shutting down app suite..
Good point about thumb up/down feature. Maybe launching the app on the phone prior to starting the engine will help. Just have to get in the habit of doing so.
Old 01-07-15, 10:50 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thunderwuf
Good point about thumb up/down feature. Maybe launching the app on the phone prior to starting the engine will help. Just have to get in the habit of doing so.
Yea. That's normally what I do on the way to the car if I know I'm going to want to use the apps. Easy enough. But if I'm already driving I consider the opportunity missed and just play bluetooth or xm. Lol.
Old 08-02-16, 10:54 PM
benj0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been annoyed with the Pandora app too. It is very seldom that I can actually hear music after fixing the tether error. It shows the song cover but no sound. I gave up and started to use the iphone app and either plug in (charge and play) or BT and keep it in my pocket.
Old 09-22-16, 12:06 PM
johnfox
Driver School Candidate

Default Tether Error

I went to the dealership and they fixed this error quickly. Make sure you Enform app running. In Pandora, click on "Create Station" (you don't need to create the station - just click on it). After that, the Tether Error should go away and Pandora should start fine. They did this for me and it worked. Just need to do this when you see the error when it appears.
Old 09-22-16, 12:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It's a phone issue. You have to have the app running, and the phone will occasionally turn off the app. My iPhone does this regularly, generally if I don't use the app for a day or so. So now I'm in the habit each morning of taking 15 seconds or so to open the app and I'm good to go for the rest of the day. No more tether issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tether Error