IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone Else Lowered And Having End Link Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 09:45 AM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Else Lowered And Having End Link Issues?

Got a 14 IS250 AWD F-Sport. Dropped on J5 Coilovers. Previously dropped on RSR Super Downs.

Towards the end of my tenure with the RSR springs, i noticed a rattle coming from the rear. Swapped everything out for the coilovers and noticed the rattle was still there. Took it into my shop and they found the drivers side sway bar end link was blown. I decided to swap out each side in the rear, bought the pair of links off Sewell and installed. Rattle went away and everything felt tight and firm.

Fast forward about 1-2 months and the rattle is back. This time i think its the passenger side. Sounds similar enough to where i think its probably another end link, but havent had it diagnosed yet.

Has anyone else been dealing with fragile end links? I had my previous cars lowered on stock stabilizer bar, control arms, etc but never had to replace anything. Are the stock end links too long for a lowered car? Too much pressure being put on them? I have the coilovers running soft damper settings right now. I have bottomed out on a few serious potholes and road lips, so I think stiffening them up and reducing the compression may help, but would appreciate some feedback/suggestions.
Old 01-04-15, 11:03 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm interesting, I have a bit of a rattle noise going over speed bumps myself. I wonder if it's the end links though.

Keep us updated, as I'm on RSR Down's too. Might need an aftermarket solution if the Lexus ones aren't going to hold out.
Old 03-04-15, 12:20 PM
b00st3
Driver School Candidate

Just found a blown front end link on RSR Downs. I kept hearing a clicking sound whenever the suspension compressed and when I looked underneath, I found that the grease had come out of one of my end links. Trying to order a replacement now...
Old 03-04-15, 06:49 PM
nick0327
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone else experience this? I just switched to RSR down two weeks ago. Would appreciate any information on this matter.
Old 03-04-15, 07:22 PM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by b00st3
Just found a blown front end link on RSR Downs. I kept hearing a clicking sound whenever the suspension compressed and when I looked underneath, I found that the grease had come out of one of my end links. Trying to order a replacement now...
Thats how i found mine too... same metallic clicking. Havent had issues with fronts though... knock on wood.

My second rattle turned out to be a pillow mount issue with my rear passenger coilover. Turned out multiple shocks had blown on my J5 set. Pretty disappointing considering how quick it happened after install. However, the guys at J5 surprisingly sent me a full set of replacement shocks thanks to their great warranty. I replaced a blown front and decided to swap out the rears, with the hope all rattling would disappear once the coilovers were disassembled and put back together with fresh shocks. I was lucky enough to see the pillow mount rattle disappear.

However, im still hoping some warmer weather makes this kit feel a little better. Theyve been really hard to dial in correctly and comfortably during winter. If you ride them on a soft/comfortable damper setting, then you run the risk of bottoming out pretty easily. If you run them stiff, youre bouncing like crazy over any and lips, cracks, bumps in the road. And a stiffer setting also creates that infamous thump in the trunk at slower speeds over cracks in the road. Fingers crossed for spring... but i am sort of hoping to see an air ride come out for us AWD guys.
Old 03-05-15, 05:54 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

How low are you on the J5s? Just wondering. I'm on them too but just lowered an inch. My rear spring are being replaced soon due to one sagging. I hope it's just a random problem, but your experience doesn't make me optimistic.
Old 03-05-15, 12:18 PM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by mello03
How low are you on the J5s? Just wondering. I'm on them too but just lowered an inch. My rear spring are being replaced soon due to one sagging. I hope it's just a random problem, but your experience doesn't make me optimistic.
When i first installed i was probably 2.5" low (keep in mind i was initially at AWD height). Rears were tucking and fronts had a slight tuck as well (im on stock F-Sports). Couldnt run comfortable damper settings at this height, though, and it was a huge drawback. I was dialed in two clicks from full stiff. It was way too bouncy for a daily commuter. I raised it up now to where my fenders are sitting right above the tires. Much better clearance and allowed me to run slightly softer (now im at 3 clicks from stiff, considering experimenting at 4).

I was happy to receive a full set of replacement shocks from J5, but im not as optimistic (or honestly, impressed) with the ride quality anymore. My shop even ventured to say that I'd be back in soon because the shocks just dont seem to be top class. Considering I paid ~$1600, that is disappointing.

PS... i swore that one of my rears was sagging as well, when all the shocks started going out. But i couldnt tell whether it was an optical illusion due to paranoia or not. You might want to see if that shock is leaking just to be safe.
Old 03-05-15, 02:06 PM
Mushi31
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to sound too stupid or anything, could you post a picture of the end link issues? I am lowered on Tein's but just wanted to keep a heads up if i do hear anything and what not. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-15, 05:53 AM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So I finally made a decision on the springs and one of these threads pops up...
Old 03-06-15, 12:25 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car is getting lowered as we speak, hopefully this issue doesn't come up
Old 03-06-15, 12:39 PM
nick0327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by b00st3
Hey can you provide a link of where you are purchasing the end link? Just want to be ready if this happens to me as I am also lowered on the RSR Downs. I think since the front is lowered about 1.5 in as oppose to the 1 in in the back, the chances of it being blown out are higher. I will keep an eye on my and will update if anything ever happens.
Old 03-08-15, 02:01 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nick0327
Hey can you provide a link of where you are purchasing the end link? Just want to be ready if this happens to me as I am also lowered on the RSR Downs. I think since the front is lowered about 1.5 in as oppose to the 1 in in the back, the chances of it being blown out are higher. I will keep an eye on my and will update if anything ever happens.
Ditto, and bump!
Old 03-09-15, 05:40 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
When i first installed i was probably 2.5" low (keep in mind i was initially at AWD height).
Is the AWD higher than the RWD? (stock, I mean)
Old 03-09-15, 06:23 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
Is the AWD higher than the RWD? (stock, I mean)
Anyone Else Lowered And Having End Link Issues?-screen-shot-2015-03-09-at-9.17.20-pm.png

Same height but AWD has less ground clearance.
Old 03-16-15, 12:56 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone else had endlink issues?

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Lowered And Having End Link Issues?