IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 06:22 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

It's hard to believe that I already logged over 30k miles on my IS! I've been shopping for tires to replace the factory Bridgestones and am leaning towards the Pilot Sport AS3. Are any of you running these? The reviews seem to be very good overall. These will go on my factory 5 spokes using the factory tire dimensions.

Thanks.

Last edited by akshunj; 11-20-14 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Damn typo!!!
Old 11-20-14, 07:19 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PSS is the best from my experience.
Old 11-20-14, 07:33 AM
ShayIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these tires on my factory rims. They are great! It doesn't snow much here in the Pacific Northwest but it does rain a lot! I had my factory tires on the car for a month until it started to rain and was hydroplaning. I really feel the grip on the road with the Michelin Pilot AS.
Old 11-20-14, 08:03 AM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the reviews I've read they're great but Continental Extremecontact DWS are better if you'll be driving in snowy conditions.
Old 11-20-14, 08:41 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by akshunj
It's hard to believe that I already logged over 30k miles on my IS! I've been shopping for tires to replace the factory Bridgestones and am leaning towards the Pilot Sport AS3. Are any of you running these? The reviews seem to be very good overall. These will go on my factory 5 spokes using the factory tire dimensions.

Thanks.
Wow - you got 30k miles on the originals? Way to go!
Old 11-20-14, 09:23 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Wow - you got 30k miles on the originals? Way to go!
Yeah lot's of highway miles haha. I live close to Cape Cod and commute to Boston 2 or 3 days a week.
Old 11-20-14, 09:27 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShayIS350
I have these tires on my factory rims. They are great! It doesn't snow much here in the Pacific Northwest but it does rain a lot! I had my factory tires on the car for a month until it started to rain and was hydroplaning. I really feel the grip on the road with the Michelin Pilot AS.
Thx. How is the handling when you get in the twisties?
Old 11-20-14, 09:32 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alpha12
From the reviews I've read they're great but Continental Extremecontact DWS are better if you'll be driving in snowy conditions.
Interesting. I saw the snow traction was average for the PS3s, but for the Contis they recommended getting a set of winter tires. The Contis were cheaper too.
Old 11-20-14, 09:44 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I Vote for Continental Extreme contact DWS there a little better in overall condition's.
Old 11-20-14, 10:03 AM
ShayIS350
Driver School Candidate

The tires handle extremely well in the twisties although I don't push too much because I have a 2yr old in the back most of the time. We had an ice storm here last week and it handled beautifully.
Old 11-20-14, 10:09 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I bought PS A/S3 but I still have the factory tires on with around 60% treadlife left on them. My current odo shows around 17.5K so I think it is feasible to get 30K out of the stock tires.
Old 11-20-14, 10:48 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 27k mile lease. Is it feasible that I'll get through the lease and not have to replace tires along the way?
Old 11-20-14, 01:39 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought some Michelin Pilot Alpin 4s for my winters and absolutely love them!
Old 11-20-14, 01:45 PM
4WDrift
Rookie

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
PSS is the best from my experience.
Uh you're in the desert, so no credence for rain / snow.

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
I have a 27k mile lease. Is it feasible that I'll get through the lease and not have to replace tires along the way?
Post above yours indicates probably.

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
I Vote for Continental Extreme contact DWS there a little better in overall condition's.
Yes; I posted this in another forum.
I'm familiar with the Extreme Contact DWS - compared to the Bridgestone RE970 or the Goodyear Eagle GT with stiff sidewalls, the DWS rode a lot smoother with lightened steering effort and had better snow / ice traction in exchange for a slight loss in razor sharp steering response while retaining very decent cornering grip, echoing Tire Rack surveys as a time tested performer. Less rubust sidewalls, just avoid curbs.

I'd recommend it or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 depending on one's dry vs. snow priorities, I'll give up some dry for better snow / wet performance where it really can make a difference. Winter tires are not an option for me and DC hasn't quite needed it lately. If you're wet only then the A/S 3.

Gary
Old 11-20-14, 02:00 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
I think so. The only reason I am replacing mine is due to bad alignment that dramatically wore out the inside of the passenger's side tires.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport AS3