IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3is vs Q50s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 05:54 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly what he said. you just need to: 1) determine your price point and max, 2) determine if you want a sport or luxury version, 3) go test drive both models, 4) make the determination for yourself... i can't stress the last one enough.. you shouldn't take a poll to ask random *** strangers on the forums to see what $45k car you should buy. thats ridiculous. plant your but in the car and see what your emotions tell you.
i will be doing test drives soon as well.

Just wanted to hear some opinions on one side what they thought of it
Old 04-25-14, 05:57 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJW
As a former, and happy 08 G35 owner, I didn't consider the Q50 much.

I don't spend a lot of time on G or Q50 forums, but a few people who were considering Q50's told me strongly not to get the Q50. They said a lot of owners were having nothing but trouble with the infotainment crashing and locking up along with the steer by wire being problematic. This may or may not be a big issue, but it was enough to scare me. I hate biggy electronics, especially when they control all aspects of the car.

I did a brief amount of research and as much as I liked the car, it didn't seem to be getting good reviews anywhere. It also reminded me a bit too much of my G. Lots of similar switchgear, shared parts etc. I like the looks, but it just didn't attract me in any way. I also drove a G37 and while the extra power was nice, the 3.7 engine was very unrefined, even compared to my 3.5. I believe this was addressed somewhat in the Q50.

Where Infiniti does it better IMO is a lot of little things.

- The trunk uses a small, compact hinge - not the giant U hinges that aren't even boxed in on the IS.
- Under the hood, the battery/brakes and nicely concealed in their own compartments.
- More options, even with sport package.
- Better storage spaces (and that includes sunglass holder)
- More intuitive controls.
- Of course, more power.

What I liked about the Lexus
- it's more compact, while not being small in any way. Better proportions.
- the design just seemed fresher and more modern, in and out. Hard to explain, but both my wife and I were just emotionally drawn to it. Without going into minute details, you just look at it as a whole and think "what a nice car".
- While both brands have pretty good reliability records, reputation, Lexus is second to none. I had a few out of warranty issues with my G that I thought shouldn't occur.
- The Lexus dealers here are top notch. Clean, modern, very high end. We have two Infiniti dealers, one is just in the corner of a Nissan dealer - the other is nice, but not on the same level.
I have a 09 G coupe modded..
I just like to hear both sides lol
Old 04-25-14, 05:59 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Whitigir
They are different, it just fit me better. If op was going for a sportier version, Q50 will be more sporty feel than the IS
Leaning toward the luxury sport side about 40k range.. The STI is a nono.. the 2015 is blah looks like a kia lmfao.. now the older STI's was thinking about those but the engine worries me
Old 04-26-14, 08:30 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratedg
Leaning toward the luxury sport side about 40k range.. The STI is a nono.. the 2015 is blah looks like a kia lmfao.. now the older STI's was thinking about those but the engine worries me
If you are looking toward Luxury Sport, then STI has no Luxury in it, just Raw and Pure Sport, it will ride like you are on bare feet.

Then go for Q50 or Q50 Hybrid. The Lexus IS 3rd gen is very nice, but Lexus can not get away from their Traits. At least, not yet.

Q50 = Traditional electrical assist steering wheel
Q50 Hybrid = Steer by wire, with Electrical assist as a backup in case failures happen

If you like the feed back from the bumps and vibrations from the road conditions, go with Q50. If you don't really care about that, go for Hybrid, that thing packs a Punch with Huge MPG, the Hybrid Performance on Q50H is comparable to Lexus GS Hybrid, which is 2x the price

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-26-14 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-26-14, 11:43 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I wouldn't be so sure about the new 3rd gen IS being not as sporty as the Q50

From many reviews, it seems like the IS is the sportiest in class (save the Cadillac ATS) with great steering, rock-solid chassis and well sorted suspension which allows it to have great ride yet be planted in the corners. What sportiness and steering it gives up to the ATS, it more than makes up for in utility,luxury and fit-and-finish :

IS vs 335i vs ATS :

IS vs Q50 head-to-head:

IS has managed to rank best-in-class in many comparos. Haven't really seen the Q50 do that yet...

What I have seen is the Q50 being criticized relentlessly for its artificial steering. Seems like the Q50 is for those who just want to tick all the options boxes while the IS is for those who prefer the true joy of driving.

Last edited by natnut; 04-26-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 05:06 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Isn't a fully loaded Q50 over $55k?
Old 04-26-14, 09:49 PM
3IS4ME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratedg
Not to mention the "new" STI has that dinosaur power train instead of the 2.0 in JDM STIs or even domestic WRXs.
Old 04-26-14, 10:02 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All I am going to say is Lexus is built better in every way.
Nissan's are not what they used to be....they sell but their resale value is crap, their service is complete crap in terms of TSB's.

Had one...sold it never looked back.
Best thing about them IMO is the power...they are very good on low end torque...make them seem faster than they are...easy to pop off the line quick with a VQ engine.

Lexus is milder on the peppiness all the time thing...but the IS350 is a sleeper...it will shock many with just how fast it is once you test it at a stop light.
and its built better...less trips to the dealer for anything but minor issues
Old 05-02-14, 02:44 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Originally Posted by natnut
I wouldn't be so sure about the new 3rd gen IS being not as sporty as the Q50

From many reviews, it seems like the IS is the sportiest in class (save the Cadillac ATS) with great steering, rock-solid chassis and well sorted suspension which allows it to have great ride yet be planted in the corners. What sportiness and steering it gives up to the ATS, it more than makes up for in utility,luxury and fit-and-finish :

IS vs 335i vs ATS :

Lexus IS350 Review - Sports Sedans Pt3 - Everyday Driver - YouTube

IS vs Q50 head-to-head:

2014 Infiniti Q50S vs 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport! - Head 2 Head Ep. 40 - YouTube

IS has managed to rank best-in-class in many comparos. Haven't really seen the Q50 do that yet...

What I have seen is the Q50 being criticized relentlessly for its artificial steering. Seems like the Q50 is for those who just want to tick all the options boxes while the IS is for those who prefer the true joy of driving.
ill be heading up to mobile pretty soon to test drive both of them.. but it looks like the sporty side leaning toward the IS..

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Isn't a fully loaded Q50 over $55k?
isn't that for both cars? didn't think 55... a bit under that.

Originally Posted by 3IS4ME
Not to mention the "new" STI has that dinosaur power train instead of the 2.0 in JDM STIs or even domestic WRXs.
STi is a nono lol guaranteed
Old 05-02-14, 02:58 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
All I am going to say is Lexus is built better in every way.
Nissan's are not what they used to be....they sell but their resale value is crap, their service is complete crap in terms of TSB's.

Had one...sold it never looked back.
Best thing about them IMO is the power...they are very good on low end torque...make them seem faster than they are...easy to pop off the line quick with a VQ engine.

Lexus is milder on the peppiness all the time thing...but the IS350 is a sleeper...it will shock many with just how fast it is once you test it at a stop light.
and its built better...less trips to the dealer for anything but minor issues
Will be continueing research, seems like half and half right now