IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Best Gas Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 08:26 PM
jay631987
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Gas Out There?

Hey guys what is the best company for gas (premium only)? I know you can't have the best of both worlds in terms of better additives to better gas mileage. So breaking down into two categories what is the best company for additives and gas mileage?
Old 03-25-14, 08:59 PM
Jack1995
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a guy (met him while I was waiting at the dealership, don't know which department he is working) working at Lexus dealership and previously working for Mercedes for 19 years. He told me Cheveron has the best quality and is the cleanest gas out there because of the techron added in the gas. I'm not an expert, this is just what I heard. From my personal experience, my preference are chevron and shell. If I would to compare the two, I FEEL like shell last a bit longer than chevron. I only fill up half tank every time i go to gas station, and it seems like shell's gas runs longer, again its just my personal feeling Hope it helps
Old 03-26-14, 07:40 AM
jay631987
Driver

Thanks man, yea I've heard the same for Cheveron but the sad thing is there are none around me. I heard V-Power is good for cleaning but in terms of MPG...maybe BP can top that? Not sure of that yet...
Old 03-26-14, 07:49 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is really no good gas or bad gas out there. Its all about which brand/station has more additives/gal compared to others.

I've never had issues with the local Citgo/Gulf gas station but when ever i buy fuel from BP, it tends to last longer. There was a recent news spot on ABC or CBS that took gas to a lab to have it tested and proved that Shell was actually the best gas with more additives/gal.
Old 03-26-14, 08:41 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

I use either Chevron or Shell, but mostly Shell. I will use 76 every once in a while also. I cannot feel or tell the differences between the three as they are all top tier gas companies. I use Shell mostly because I get a $0.10 or $0.20 discount per gallon with my Ralphs grocery store points.
Old 03-26-14, 08:48 AM
hangandrew
Rookie

I stick to Shell, Exxon, or Chevron. But personally, I think all gas is the same. Probably wrong though lol
Old 03-26-14, 09:29 AM
phungy
Driver

This should answer your question: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 03-26-14, 09:46 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

What matters when it comes to gas is the Octane Number. As long as you put premium gas, it doesn't really make much of a difference. Here are the reasons:

1. Octane number represents the ignition point for the gas. Each engine has different optimum ignition point, therefore some cars require regular gas (Octane #87) and others premium (Octane #93). What happens when you put regular gas to cars that need premium gas, the gas will be ignited below its optimum point and somewhat release less pressure/power. As the result, your engine burns more gas and your fuel consumption decreases. If you ever dare to try putting on regular gas on cars that requires premium, you will see this.

2. Each gas company say that they use different additives. But chemically, they are very similar one to another. There will be no noticeable differences regardless what you pick. Those big sharks in oil & gas industry, such as Exxon, Chevron, Shell are making you buy their products from advertisement power. They make you think you are buying better gas and pay more $$ for it. But Octane number is more important than the additives. So as long as you buy premium (or whichever gas is recommended by the automaker) you are fine. I am sticking with Costco myself, since it is around $0.30 cheaper on average, plus I got tons of cashback.

Just my $0.02 as a chemical engineer.
Old 03-26-14, 09:49 AM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by phungy
This should answer your question: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
yea im not sure if I can trust that site...it lists Costco as top-tier....but regardless BP and Shell I've always heard good things about.
Old 03-26-14, 09:53 AM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by smardav
Lol cant argue with an engineer! Ive been using Sunoco for a long time since it is easily accessible but their Premium is 91 octane...In the summer time i've notice Shell puts out less MPG than Sunoco...2-3 MPG difference I think...which made me think if I wanted to clean my engine once in a while...buy Shell otherwise Sunoco lol
Old 03-26-14, 10:10 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jay631987
yea im not sure if I can trust that site...it lists Costco as top-tier....but regardless BP and Shell I've always heard good things about.
Costco Gas is top-tier as of March 2014.
Old 03-26-14, 04:08 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smardav
What matters when it comes to gas is the Octane Number. As long as you put premium gas, it doesn't really make much of a difference. Here are the reasons:

1. Octane number represents the ignition point for the gas. Each engine has different optimum ignition point, therefore some cars require regular gas (Octane #87) and others premium (Octane #93). What happens when you put regular gas to cars that need premium gas, the gas will be ignited below its optimum point and somewhat release less pressure/power. As the result, your engine burns more gas and your fuel consumption decreases. If you ever dare to try putting on regular gas on cars that requires premium, you will see this.

2. Each gas company say that they use different additives. But chemically, they are very similar one to another. There will be no noticeable differences regardless what you pick. Those big sharks in oil & gas industry, such as Exxon, Chevron, Shell are making you buy their products from advertisement power. They make you think you are buying better gas and pay more $$ for it. But Octane number is more important than the additives. So as long as you buy premium (or whichever gas is recommended by the automaker) you are fine. I am sticking with Costco myself, since it is around $0.30 cheaper on average, plus I got tons of cashback.

Premium near me (Kwik Trip) is only rated 91. I've not seen Premium with 93 octane rating.
Old 03-26-14, 08:56 PM
561Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jay631987
You must shop at Sam's Club...
Old 03-26-14, 08:58 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shell, Chevron, BP
Old 03-26-14, 08:59 PM
jay631987
Driver

How big of a performance difference is 91 to 93 octane? or is it negligible? the manual says 91 and above...

Quick Reply: Best Gas Out There?