-- Exterior Mirror Puddle LEDs Install (WITH PHOTOS) -- - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

-- Exterior Mirror Puddle LEDs Install (WITH PHOTOS) --

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-14, 01:23 PM   #1
HIDPH
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North America
Posts: 1,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking -- Exterior Mirror Puddle LEDs Install (WITH PHOTOS) --

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to share our DIY for changing out the factory bulbs and installing LEDs for the 2014+ IS exterior mirror puddle lights. It is not the best DIY in the world and we've tried to put together one and share it with the ClubLexus community and hope that it may be of assistance to you folks here. This is known to be one of the harder installs out of the rest of the lights on the 3rd gen IS.

LEDs are available through us and we can be contacted via email or private message. Please direct all product inquiries and ordering/pricing to us via email or private message (Moderators: this is not a sale thread).

Please exercise caution not to break anything and patience is key to any installation. The installation is not difficult by any means and can be done by anyone with minimal skills. Again, patience and caution is key.

Disclaimer: we will not be responsible for any damage/injuries/accidents, etc. that may arise from referencing or relying on our DIY. This is an strictly provided for guidance and information and we note that this DIY will be used at your own risk.


















Courtesy of HID Powerhouse
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 01:55 PM   #2
Alius
Pole Position
 
Alius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 243
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh wow, that looks easier than previously thought. Thanks for the DIY!
Alius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 02:31 PM   #3
HIDPH
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North America
Posts: 1,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alius View Post
Oh wow, that looks easier than previously thought. Thanks for the DIY!
You are welcome
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 02:34 PM   #4
mj7801
Driver School Candidate
 
mj7801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice. Thanks!
mj7801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 02:56 PM   #5
2014IS250
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In the sky...
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did this awhile, much easier then it looks.
2014IS250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 05:22 PM   #6
HIDPH
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North America
Posts: 1,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj7801 View Post
Nice. Thanks!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014IS250 View Post
Did this awhile, much easier then it looks.
+1, that's true.
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 06:47 PM   #7
mj7801
Driver School Candidate
 
mj7801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just ordered mine!
mj7801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 07:23 PM   #8
jennypenny
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 394
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We'll written!

I'll try it soon. Thanks!
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 09:19 PM   #9
HIDPH
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North America
Posts: 1,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj7801 View Post
Just ordered mine!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
We'll written!

I'll try it soon. Thanks!
Many thanks
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 02:13 PM   #10
cb80923
Driver
 
cb80923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Easy!

Thanks for the DIY. Took 10 min for first mirror - 3 min for second mirror. Figured out that when re-assembling - putting the two screws back in that are closest to the car FIRST made things easier for me.

Wish Lexus had made the "hole" in the bottom of the mirror bigger - more light would shine through...
cb80923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 11:51 AM   #11
HIDPH
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North America
Posts: 1,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb80923 View Post
Thanks for the DIY. Took 10 min for first mirror - 3 min for second mirror. Figured out that when re-assembling - putting the two screws back in that are closest to the car FIRST made things easier for me.

Wish Lexus had made the "hole" in the bottom of the mirror bigger - more light would shine through...
Yes, it is a very small hole which does make it difficult for light to come out of the cover/housing.The 2nd gen IS uses a larger housing for the mirror puddle lights and more light is allowed to pass through. With the third gen IS, they redesigned the exterior mirrors entirely and it has a smaller cover/housing and therefore less light is coming out. It is what it is and we did many LED test fits to determined that certain LEDs are not as bright in the cover/housing.
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 01:26 PM   #12
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver
 
AndyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,416
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDPH View Post
Yes, it is a very small hole which does make it difficult for light to come out of the cover/housing.The 2nd gen IS uses a larger housing for the mirror puddle lights and more light is allowed to pass through. With the third gen IS, they redesigned the exterior mirrors entirely and it has a smaller cover/housing and therefore less light is coming out. It is what it is and we did many LED test fits to determined that certain LEDs are not as bright in the cover/housing.
Totally agreed what you said.

This is the downside of the new design used in 3IS. How the LED/SMD chips are oriented is way more important in the case of 3IS side mirror puddle light.

On the other hand, I find the construction of 3IS side mirror housing much easier to disassemble. It is also less likely to crack the tabs by accident during the disassembly. (actually the mirror housing used in current RX is even more prone to cracking when compared to 2IS)
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 11:41 AM   #13
HIDPH
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North America
Posts: 1,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Totally agreed what you said.

This is the downside of the new design used in 3IS. How the LED/SMD chips are oriented is way more important in the case of 3IS side mirror puddle light.

On the other hand, I find the construction of 3IS side mirror housing much easier to disassemble. It is also less likely to crack the tabs by accident during the disassembly. (actually the mirror housing used in current RX is even more prone to cracking when compared to 2IS)
That's true, the 3IS exterior mirrors not only have a better design cosmetically and the assembling/disassembling was much easier compared to the 2IS and 2010+ RX models.
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 12:24 PM   #14
HIDPH
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North America
Posts: 1,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

All emails have been replied.

Good luck with the install folks!
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 02:28 PM   #15
azfsport
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice DIY! Just ordered from your website..
azfsport is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<<< HID Powerhouse <<< **2008-2013 IS-F H.I.D. and L.E.D. Lighting Upgrades** HIDPH Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace 454 08-13-15 12:54 AM
Airbag Emblem Insert & Carbon Fiber Finish Mirror Covers for 2014+ IS & NX / RX / GS HIDPH Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace 180 08-13-15 12:53 AM


Tags
2014 is , 2nd , diy , gen , gs300 , hids , install , leds , light , mirror , puddle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: