IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mark Levinson... Worth it? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 05:03 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ML system is one of my favorite things about the car and I think it's pretty amazing. I have a very nice audio setup in my house, and the ML rivals it imo.
Old 12-09-13, 06:01 AM
felixlau
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for the ML if it's a single add on option.
If I'm not wrong , it runs on optic fiber providing a clean sound.
It shines when u turn up the volume as compared to the standard which I have in my car.
Unfortunately here in Singapore , ML only comes in the Luxury package together with other add ons like BSM, memory seats, GPS etc at an extra cost of S$16,000.00 !
Old 12-09-13, 06:21 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had Acura ELS, Lexicon and now ML. ML is the best to me.
Old 12-09-13, 06:51 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
I have had Acura ELS, Lexicon and now ML. ML is the best to me.
we had the Acura ELS in the TL and it was nice, but it lacked power. i would say the ELS with a digital audio disc was downright phenomenal even by aftermarket standards.
but the problem is digital audio discs are hard to find and my musical variety is much more vast and i hate changing cd's all the time.
i prefer to listen to pandora or ipod and anything in surround sound will be only simulated surround at that point.
so without the surround i think the point is moot between the 2.
but the lexus ML has way more power and more speakers than the ELS.

speaking of, does anyone know if the ML actually has 5.1 surround like the ELS does? if you play a dvd audio disc will you get discreet 5 channel output?
Old 12-09-13, 07:03 AM
jizoe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's worth it IMO. I had a 250 without and got a 350 with.... soooooooooooo much better.
Old 12-09-13, 10:45 AM
Cougar24
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to end up getting a 250F and I didn't realize that there are no 250F's in the country that have ML installed... So it looks like I'm out of luck. After what everyone said, I was feeling alot better about the ML too...

Any suggestions on what to replace the stock speakers with?
Old 12-09-13, 10:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

for the 3IS ML isnt a standalone option anymore, you have to get Navi with it. So they have a Navi package and a Navi/ML package.
Old 12-09-13, 11:18 AM
Cougar24
Driver School Candidate

I asked my dealer for the Nav package with ML and he said that for the 250F, you have to submit a special order for that specific package. Since they would have to special order the car, I wouldn't be able to get much of a deal on it - So I would actually be losing over $2k just to get the ML. I might as well install my own system than hold out for the MLs.
Old 12-09-13, 11:38 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
speaking of, does anyone know if the ML actually has 5.1 surround like the ELS does? if you play a dvd audio disc will you get discreet 5 channel output?
Not sure if you have already seen this. It says there is a 7.1 channel architecture. However, since this is a little dated, I am not sure if that output is for our cars. The related files link on the site provides a little more insight.

http://www.marklevinson.com/Info/Story/49
Old 12-09-13, 11:44 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And to add my 2 cents to the OP . . . . . . . . After being spoiled with ML in the past, I searched around for my previous IS-C specifically for the ML, had to have it on the incoming IS. I think getting the ML is worth it. I have had Bose, Lexicon, and Pioneer premium systems. I think the bass in the Bose was the best. But since I am beyond my thumping years, I think I like the true sound of the ML the best. The surround effect is great, and if you have the time to play around with the settings, there is no doubt you will find the ideal setting to play any style of music just the way you want to hear it.
Old 12-09-13, 12:42 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

worth it in my opinion, but be sure to listen in uncompressed or HD radio formats to experience the most ML can offer... sounds great in my 3IS!
Old 12-09-13, 01:03 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

In short, Yes. Yes it is . . .
Old 12-09-13, 07:42 PM
Cougar24
Driver School Candidate

I've always heard that Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics were the best car speakers. Does anyone else have any other recommendations? I know that the IS has a 15-speaker system.. what size speakers do I need to be looking for?
Old 12-09-13, 07:43 PM
afdavey
Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
Why is it next to impossible to find an IS with ML at a NY/NJ dealer?

Also seems RWD IS' are more likely to have ML.

Strange.
I had the same encounter - I went south. Picked the car up at a Savannah GA dealer - 'wanted' a RWD, U White w/ red interior, plus...
Seems in the NE everything was AWD - dealers were not that interested in locating a RWD.
Attached Thumbnails Mark Levinson... Worth it?  (Merged Threads)-screen-shot-2013-12-09-at-10.42.00-pm.png  
Old 12-09-13, 07:46 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

surprised so many people are voting yes for the ML! guess they improved it from the 2nd gen IS

Majority of people I know who have the 2nd gen IS says the ML system sucks flat out!

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson... Worth it? (Merged Threads)