3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Conquest Buyer and Satisfaction Poll

Old 12-07-13, 03:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Question Conquest Buyer and Satisfaction Poll

Which of you were previous owners of the German competition and thanks to the 3IS, you now switched to the Lexus brand? Was it a good move? Let us know.
Attached Thumbnails Conquest Buyer and Satisfaction Poll-conquest.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-07-13 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 04:30 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be able to comment later this coming week. That is when I will be picking up my 3IS which will replace my BMW 330xi. A four month wait soon coming to an end!
Old 12-07-13, 08:30 PM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife is moving from a 2002 Z3. She wants a small 4 door and the new 3 series have gotten too bloated. The IS was just the right size.
Old 12-09-13, 12:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I've been tempted to move over to the Germans a couple times the last ten years, but never did the switch. Always have been a trouble-free Lexus owner.
Old 12-09-13, 03:04 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've been tempted to move over to the Germans a couple times the last ten years, but never did the switch. Always have been a trouble-free Lexus owner.
Some of are slow learners. Good for you that you caught on right from the beginning!
Old 12-09-13, 04:38 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Ditto. I've always wanted an X5 but Lexus wins out time and time again
Old 12-09-13, 05:34 PM
KumaF
Driver

I have been sweet with BMW and wanted another one for my next car until they rolled out the F30 with a laughable price tag on it. The MSRP went up so much compared to the E90 while not being any better (or even worse).
Old 12-09-13, 08:44 PM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

The Z3 has been a great car, rock solid reliable, but it's a far simpler machine from a less complicated time. Amazing what 11 years has done to car design, especially all the electronic stuff.
Old 12-09-13, 09:16 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the interior ammenities of Acura/Lexus (Nav, etc.) to be better than BMW/Audi/Benz. How long did it take the BMW 3 series to get a reverse cam in the US?
Old 12-10-13, 09:28 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will chime in once I get my car next month!
Old 12-12-13, 04:28 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

OK, just got my 3IS yesterday, coming from a 2002 (e46) BMW 330XI.

On a scale of 1 - 10, the driving experience of 350 F Sport in sport + mode 8.5, by old 3 series, 10, the current 335i (f30) 6.

Compared to my old 3 series, my 3!S is WAY more comfortable. Comparing the Mark Levinson sound to the premium BMW HK would be like contrasting the clarity of hearing a beautiful symphony live to experiencing the muffled sound of the scratching of glass.

The icing on the cake: the Lexus was $8,000 less (MSRP comparison) than a comparably equipped 335i xdrive

To say I am pleased with the switch would be an understatement.

Last edited by CtSFox; 12-12-13 at 05:44 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 12-12-13, 05:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by CtSFox
OK, just got my 3IS yesterday, coming from a 2002 (e46) BMW 330XI.

On a scale of 1 - 10, the driving experience of 350 F Sport in sport + mode 8.5, by old 3 series, 10, the current 335i (f30) 6.

Compared to my old 3 series, my 3!S is WAY more comfortable. Comparing the Mark Levinson sound to the premium BMW HK would be like contrasting the clarity of hearing a beautiful symphony live to experiencing the muffled sound of the scratching of glass.

The icing on the cake: the Lexus was $8,000 less (MSRP comparison) that a comparably equipped 335i xdrive

To say I am pleased with the switch would be an understatement.
Sweet, nice to hear!
Old 12-13-13, 03:05 PM
KumaF
Driver

I picked up my car today, and these are some of my initial thoughts.

The good part:

From the outside, it is so aggressive and futuristic; it just made all the other cars on the road look too conservative and bland (well, except for that R8 that followed me for a couple of blocks). Noticed a few head-turnings, but atomic silver doesn't get as much attention as say USB. BTW, I saw a USB 3IS in Bayview Village parking lot outside Loblaws today. Don't know if it belongs to a fellow CL member here.

The interior is second to none in this segment. I love all the tech and gadgets. and the way they are put together with excellent fit and finish. The super cool F sport gauge is definitely the highlight of the cockpit. Also I found the Remote Touch to be quite good, I don't know why most reviews thought it was a POS.

I can't comment a lot in terms of performance and handling just yet, since I haven't had a chance to open it up (damn snow). But I do like the quick steering ratio and linear throttle and brake response. The transmission is seamless and smooth as I didn't even notice any gearshifts under normal driving. The suspension is also nicely tuned as it soaks up small bumps very well while still provides the driver with enough info.

The could-be-nicer part:

There is a little vibration when holding brake pedal in D and R when the car is still cold (1k+ rpm idling), but it mostly goes away after the the rev falls back to around 800 rpm. This is a bit annoying but not a big deal. It might just be a DI engine and cold weather thing.

A little more storage room would be welcome. Not that I have a ton of stuff to put in the car, but I just wish there can be a storage where the heated seats buttons are.

Overall, the 3IS is an amazing machine, and BMW would have to come up with something truly great to get me back to their cars again. But until then, 3IS is the best among the competition IMHO.

Last edited by KumaF; 12-13-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 06:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Congrats KumaF and glad to hear you're a happy conquest buyer enjoying your 3IS. It wasn't me at Bayview Village but coincidentally, I was just a few kms west at Woodbine Mall enjoying a Christmas lunch with staff.

To reduce the idle rpms when engine is cold, abstain from using the defroster and/or HVAC for the first few mins, safety permitting. Look at the revs, you will actually see them rise by a couple hundred rpms when on.

As for the snow, this is where the fun begins! Enjoy the AWD on the snow tomorrow as they're calling for 10-15 cm. I was impressed with the traction despite the crappy Turanzas a few days ago when we got about 1 inch. It was even better than my RX F-Sport with 1 year-old Michelins since traction control kicked in far less. The VDIM is also phenomenal. Try to spin the car or slide on a turn while giving it some gas and the the car just snaps back in the direction you intend. What's even more impressive is this system is even smoother and less intrusive than on the RX with barely any sounds and pulses you would hear and feel from the ABS and other systems kicking in. It's like the car suddenly grabbed onto asphalt and got traction. Try it in a safe spot of course to get a feel of the car's capabilities and limits and enjoy your car even in the snow (isn't that why we got AWD on this car in the first place)?

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-13-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 08:42 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

I've owned three 3-series Bimmers in the past, the last being an E36 M3 (a great car). I almost pulled the trigger on a F30 328i, but horrible steering and a flabby suspension pointed me in the direction of Lexus. BMW has definitely lost its mojo. If only Toyota could have put the 335i's sweet inline 6 in the IS 350's engine bay, the car would be perfect (some decent rubber would help too). If BMW can figure out how to make the F30 as good as the E90, they might be competitive again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Conquest Buyer and Satisfaction Poll