IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 04:52 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone should bring this to the news broadcast to get Lexus' attention and show them the legitimate Club Lexus website specifically this thread as proof. Now would the journalists take risk and write up this report? So surprise it's silent out there in the media with this issue, is it really not that important for consumers?
Old 07-15-14, 06:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by skip000
I should have just kept my 2009 Lexus IS....it started everyday...with the original 5 year old battery...never did replace it , never had to. My new Lexus only has 43 miles on it....and I'm going on vacation next week, where the car is going to sit in my garage for 8 days...not used...what are my chances of it starting right up when I return....worry worry worry. I know my 2009 Lexus would have started right up...since that car sat in the garage for over a week, many many times
I just left my IS parked for 12 days while on vacation and it started right up. I would not worry. Not everyone is having this problem.
Old 07-15-14, 06:45 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my 2014 IS250 fsport for 1 year and never had an issue. I had knee surgery and didn't drive it for over 2 weeks and it was fine. And I drove it sporadically for over 4 months while I recovered and no issues.

You know it is possible that the batteries were just defective in those that are having this issue

I will be curious to see if anything happens with my new IS350.
Old 07-15-14, 06:45 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I just left my IS parked for 12 days while on vacation and it started right up. I would not worry. Not everyone is having this problem.
not everyone had the recurrent carbon buildup issues associated with the early models of the 2IS, but for those that did, they were terrible. that said, my 2IS never left me stranded and i never once used roadside assistance.

it's equally terribly, perhaps more so, to not be able to rely on a new car to start consistently (under the assumption that the battery is not the issue, and for some here it seems as though it isn't.)

what am i driving? a 1999 xjr?
Old 07-15-14, 06:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davyjordi
not everyone had the recurrent carbon buildup issues associated with the early models of the 2IS, but for those that did, they were terrible. that said, my 2IS never left me stranded and i never once used roadside assistance.

it's equally terribly, perhaps more so, to not be able to rely on a new car to start consistently (under the assumption that the battery is not the issue, and for some here it seems as though it isn't.)

what am i driving? a 1999 xjr?
Please don't misunderstand my post. I am not downplaying the issue for those who have had it. I am simply pointing out that it is not a sure thing. The poster asked if he should be concerned about leaving his car while on vacation. I am simply sharing my experience. I have owned my IS for about 9 months and travel frequently for work, leaving it for days at a time without any issue. Therefore, it is my opinion that no, he should not be worried about it.
Old 07-15-14, 07:10 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Please don't misunderstand my post. I am not downplaying the issue for those who have had it. I am simply pointing out that it is not a sure thing. The poster asked if he should be concerned about leaving his car while on vacation. I am simply sharing my experience. I have owned my IS for about 9 months and travel frequently for work, leaving it for days at a time without any issue. Therefore, it is my opinion that no, he should not be worried about it.
apologies in any misunderstanding. i do understand that it may be an unfounded worry for some if not many, although for those of us who are experiencing an issue that hasn't been concretely resolved (per the anecdotes of the member base here via what has been conveyed by lexus) some without any remediation, it's disconcerting to say the least.

prior to yesterday had i read this thread i would have, too, agreed with your post when placing it within my personal framework, although with the car again not starting after ostensibly having the battery charged sufficiently, i'm worried that i might again be left stranded. this morning the car is completely dead. it's as if someone completely removed the battery. it's odd for a three-month-old car with 2,700 miles on it. i hope it is the battery and not some electrical problem, e.g., a parasitic drain.

edit: i'm just super annoyed. that, and i have to ride with the tow truck driver because lexus will tow the car on a flatbed truck, although they will not deliver a loaner to my house some 15 minutes away. the service manager told me yesterday via telephone that he has never heard of this issue before. hah.

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-15-14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-15-14, 07:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

apologies in any misunderstanding. i do understand that it may be an unfounded worry for some if not many, although for those of us who are experiencing an issue that hasn't been concretely resolved (per the anecdotes of the member base here via what has been conveyed by lexus) some without any remediation, it's disconcerting to say the least.

prior to yesterday had i read this thread i would have, too, agreed with your post when placing it within my personal framework, although with the car again not starting after ostensibly having the battery charged sufficiently, i'm worried that i might again be left stranded. this morning the car is completely dead. it's as if someone completely removed the battery. it's odd for a three-month-old car with 2,700 miles on it. i hope it is the battery and not some electrical problem, e.g., a parasitic drain.

edit: i'm just super annoyed. that, and i have to ride with the tow truck driver because lexus will tow the car on a flatbed truck, although they will not deliver a loaner to my house some 15 minutes away. the service manager told me yesterday via telephone that he has never heard of this issue before. hah.
Hopefully your issue is quickly resolved and your dealer treats you well. Good luck!
Old 07-15-14, 08:04 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

You know it's those time when University students like me who needs to go take an exam and the car is not going to start, I would probably tell others but NO ONE would believe me. A Lexus? Brand new? No way! Or say if you need to go to work, who would believe you...... Not without proof!
Old 07-15-14, 08:22 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Hopefully your issue is quickly resolved and your dealer treats you well. Good luck!
thank you!
Old 07-15-14, 03:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

theres a person on the Lexus IS Owners Club facebook page that had the same issue and found the problem

Ok guys here it is
Your vehicle does what is in essence a self-check of the fuel vapor system – it pressurizes the fuel tank & charcoal canister with air. If the pressure holds, the car knows there are no fuel leaks and that all is well. If it does not, the check engine light is turned on.
If you Google “5 hour key off evap monitor” you should find all the technical data you’d want to know on the subject. The system only activates if the car has met certain criteria (driven for a certain amount of time, has the correct amount of fuel, etc.). This is part of the reason why it has been so difficult to find the problem – it only manifests when this test is run.
When this test starts, the computer that activates the system draws on the vehicle battery. In your instance, the draw is of an extreme nature (over 4 amps), and stayed at this level for over an hour. This would easily kill a battery. More, in keeping with the experiences you have relayed to me, it fits snugly with your descriptions of 1) Always happens immediately after you drive it & 2) Can never find a problem after the fact (the evap monitor needs to be actively running in order to see the draw on the battery, and that only happens 5 hours after you shut off the engine).
To be sure, we have not found the exact problem with your car at this point, only isolated the system where the problem exists. Our next step is to test all of the specific components of the system to see which is causing the problem. I will forward you a photo taken as your car attempted to run on of these tests so you can see the draw for yourself & I will be in touch as soon as we learn anything new.
I hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Service Manager
Lexus of Watertown
Old 07-15-14, 04:27 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
theres a person on the Lexus IS Owners Club facebook page that had the same issue and found the problem
that's really quite interesting. i hope that the problem isn't widespread, although i suppose it'd be contingent upon driving conditions per what that service manager has written. for those who drive the cars within certain parameters then the problem manifesting would be completely dependent upon said conditions. annoyingly complex to say the least.

thanks for finding and sharing this with the community here -- much appreciated!
Old 07-15-14, 10:32 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

dude, every time I read your post I get excited to see very sophisticated use of vocabulary.
Old 07-15-14, 10:47 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salvadorik
dude, every time I read your post I get excited to see very sophisticated use of vocabulary.

ah, the influence of a doctoral program.
Old 07-16-14, 12:58 PM
euro.r
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
that's really interesting. Car's at the dealer now for the "battery" problem.
Old 07-16-14, 03:40 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah, the influence of a doctoral program.
How much extra would the course about the shift key have been?

(Only kidding my friend, please take in good spirited humor)

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)