IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

No more silver trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 07:24 AM
bfrd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No more silver trim

I did not care for the silver trim so I have covered it.

I chose to alternate colors to not have black near black or red near red. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
Old 10-08-13, 08:24 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting take. Can we get more pics?
Old 10-08-13, 12:42 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the parts film on sewel, and you can buy the wood panels to swap out for the silver.
However I haven't been able to make out what parts you need and how much these cost.

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2014.html
Old 10-08-13, 01:33 PM
MrBlonde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it, especially coz there was simply no choice but the silver in the F-Sport. May I ask how you did it?
Old 10-08-13, 01:48 PM
bfrd
Rookie

All of the parts are simply wrapped in vinyl. The door trim pieces are all black 3M DI NOC. I think I ordered a 1' x 3' sheet and had plenty left over. The dark red vinyl is a brand called RVinyl, but I can't say that I like it very much. The film reacts to heat in much the same way as the 3M does, but doesn't stick nearly as well. I got both from amazon.com. Aside from the film all you need is a heat gun or hair dryer and some sort of plastic squeegee. Rough cut the vinyl film, then remove the backing and stick it to the part. Then just work carefully and smooth out the surface. Use heat where needed to wrap around the edges. Once everything is adhered trim any excess and re-install.

Since the red vinyl isn't very good I used a little bit of hot glue on the back side just to help tack down the edges. It will still be completely removable. All of the trim pieces were removed and reinstalled by hand with no tools required. I have about $20 or so invested in the vinyl, so it is a fairly inexpensive change.

Once I get the steering wheel re-done I will take some more pictures.
Old 10-08-13, 01:53 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I'm in for more pictures if you got them!
Old 10-08-13, 05:57 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neat idea! Definitely want to see more pics!
Old 10-09-13, 05:02 AM
bfrd
Rookie

Here are a few more pictures. I will need to find time during the day take pictures, because the lighting in my garage is terrible. I just never find myself with free time when it is daylight.

Here is a little wider shot of the passenger area

Driver door panel

Mostly a teaser shot, but I think you get the idea

Tight shot of the center console area

Again, I am not digging the sticking power of this RVinyl. I am having to go back and re-stick a couple of areas.
Old 10-09-13, 05:11 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the extra pics. No tools? How did you remove the carbon trim pieces?
Old 10-09-13, 05:19 AM
bfrd
Rookie

Originally Posted by carderoni
Thanks for the extra pics. No tools? How did you remove the carbon trim pieces?
I just used my fingers. You could use a small plastic pry tool, but I didn't find that was necessary. They are just held in by clips. They come out without much effort and reinstall even easier. My 11 year old daughter reinstalled the back trim pieces.
Old 10-13-15, 06:03 PM
sbcluser
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrd
All of the parts are simply wrapped in vinyl. The door trim pieces are all black 3M DI NOC. I think I ordered a 1' x 3' sheet and had plenty left over. The dark red vinyl is a brand called RVinyl, but I can't say that I like it very much. The film reacts to heat in much the same way as the 3M does, but doesn't stick nearly as well. I got both from amazon.com. Aside from the film all you need is a heat gun or hair dryer and some sort of plastic squeegee. Rough cut the vinyl film, then remove the backing and stick it to the part. Then just work carefully and smooth out the surface. Use heat where needed to wrap around the edges. Once everything is adhered trim any excess and re-install.

Since the red vinyl isn't very good I used a little bit of hot glue on the back side just to help tack down the edges. It will still be completely removable. All of the trim pieces were removed and reinstalled by hand with no tools required. I have about $20 or so invested in the vinyl, so it is a fairly inexpensive change.

Once I get the steering wheel re-done I will take some more pictures.
Did you ever vinyl wrap the steering wheel? Any pics? How did you disassemble?
Thanks for sharing...
Old 10-14-15, 02:24 PM
glo6035
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you upload a picture showing the entire wrapped center console? Thanks
Old 10-15-15, 08:26 AM
bfrd
Rookie

To get to the components in the steering wheel locate the two small panels on the backside of the wheel and pop them off. They should come off very easily. The airbag assembly is held into place by three torsion springs (stiff wire). You may need a flashlight to find them. You are looking for a thick silver wire. Use a screwdriver to push the wire to the side. As soon as you move the wire aside you should feel the steering pad move a little. Once all three springs are loose the pad will come off. Just disconnect the harness and you are done. From that point it is pretty self explanatory. To reassemble connect the harness and snap the pad back into place. The springs will automatically snap home.
Old 10-16-15, 02:19 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BRAVO!!!!

That looks really nice. Now that I see it, it makes me wonder if applying clear wrap isn't a great way to protect the metal trim if you actually like the look or the really nice but easily damaged streaked aluminum in the GS.