IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Playing DVD on ML System while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 11:38 AM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Playing DVD on ML System while driving

I know there are many posts about how to play the DVD while driving but I can't find any for the 3IS... probably because is still too new.

My car is an IS350 F with the ML Sound System. I can verify already that the DVD player is attached (just like on other models) to the Parking Brake and that it will only play if the brake is applied.

Question is, how to do the "hack" on this new system so it thinks the brake is always ON. I would really like not to have to take apart the console to do this, maybe there is a way to get the cable under the console close to the Parking Brake?

If anybody has any idea please post here so we can discuss it.

Disclaimer: I am not going to watch any DVD while driving, this is only for the passengers. In fact, the screen location on the new 3IS makes it very easy to place a small cover on the left side to block the screen completely. I am doing his so my wife can watch movies while we go on long trips (we take 3 hour trips about once a month).

Thanks!!
Old 09-26-13, 11:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm sure Prostigeous Society or Beat Sonic USA is working on a Navi hack bypass unit but it's not out yet. Try PMing Beat Sonic and see if one is in the works, they are a vendor here on ClubLexus
Old 09-26-13, 12:52 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

FYI, this is illegal in several states.
Old 09-26-13, 01:03 PM
kanphoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the BeatSonic on my F Sport this week. I do not have the DVD option but it does bypass the lock out of bing, inputting address etc... while you drive. One big flaw is that when it is engaged the GPS stops tracking you. It makes the GPS think you have not moved. Because of this I installed the toggle switch by my left knee where all the empty slots are. This way when I need it I can get to it quickly.

I used this one http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nav-dvd-...us/nt6223.html

I was in contact with Eric Kwon eric@beatsonicusa.com he was quick to reply and let me know that the model above worked with the 2014's
Old 09-26-13, 05:41 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

How easy is it to install and access the wiring harness connectors that you need for this?
Old 09-26-13, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by kanphoto
I installed the BeatSonic on my F Sport this week. I do not have the DVD option but it does bypass the lock out of bing, inputting address etc... while you drive. One big flaw is that when it is engaged the GPS stops tracking you. It makes the GPS think you have not moved. Because of this I installed the toggle switch by my left knee where all the empty slots are. This way when I need it I can get to it quickly.

I was in contact with Eric Kwon eric@beatsonicusa.com he was quick to reply and let me know that the model above worked with the 2014's
how can that be? if you have nav, you should be able to play dvd already? on the new gs all cars with nav can play dvd, mark levinson or not. i assume that's the same for the IS

Last edited by rominl; 09-26-13 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 05:55 AM
corsjr28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
how can that be? if you have nav, you should be able to play dvd already? on the new gs all cars with nav can play dvd, mark levinson or not. i assume that's the same for the IS
I believe you only get DVD playback with Mark Levinson on the IS, does not come standard.

Originally Posted by kanphoto

Please let us know how difficult the installation was - and were the instructions easy to follow?

I'm currently waiting for my IS to arrive via special order and like the OP, this was something I really wanted to be able to do for my passengers (DVD playback while driving). Thanks!
Old 09-27-13, 06:37 AM
jly488
Driver School Candidate

i just tried playing a dvd on my IS without ML audio and it works!
Old 09-27-13, 08:29 AM
AMalick
Rookie

Default DVD Playback while in motion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm sure Prostigeous Society or Beat Sonic USA is working on a Navi hack bypass unit but it's not out yet. Try PMing Beat Sonic and see if one is in the works, they are a vendor here on ClubLexus
I made email contact with Prestigious Society regarding this in August and this is the verbatim response I got.

"Thank you very much for your inquiry and congratulation on a beautiful new IS350 F Sport! For the 2014 IS application, we will offer our Navi-Video Enhancement System instead of the Navigation Enhancement System. The IS application is scheduled to release late next month. The price will be $329.99 just like our rest of the 2013+ Lexus model.

The advantage of the Navi-Video Enhancement System is that it automatically and permanently enable DVD playback. It also comes with our Smart Access system therefore, no separate switch.

Our products comes with vehicle specific step by step photo finished installation instruction. So you do not have to worry about outsourcing the installation if you wish to perform the installation yourself"

This is the link, but you will notice that its still not available. http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

I'm only taking delivery in November so I don't mind waiting till the kit is released. In South Africa where I live, the IS 350F Sports comes standard with non ML DVD playback capability & Navigation.
Old 09-27-13, 10:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by corsjr28
I believe you only get DVD playback with Mark Levinson on the IS, does not come standard.

Please let us know how difficult the installation was - and were the instructions easy to follow?

I'm currently waiting for my IS to arrive via special order and like the OP, this was something I really wanted to be able to do for my passengers (DVD playback while driving). Thanks!
no, on the new lexus, you can play dvd regardless of mark levinson. tried it in the new gs, and a customer of mine just told me he could play dvd in his new IS (with no mark levinson)
Old 01-22-14, 10:20 AM
AMalick
Rookie

Originally Posted by AMalick
I made email contact with Prestigious Society regarding this in August and this is the verbatim response I got.

"Thank you very much for your inquiry and congratulation on a beautiful new IS350 F Sport! For the 2014 IS application, we will offer our Navi-Video Enhancement System instead of the Navigation Enhancement System. The IS application is scheduled to release late next month. The price will be $329.99 just like our rest of the 2013+ Lexus model.

The advantage of the Navi-Video Enhancement System is that it automatically and permanently enable DVD playback. It also comes with our Smart Access system therefore, no separate switch.

Our products comes with vehicle specific step by step photo finished installation instruction. So you do not have to worry about outsourcing the installation if you wish to perform the installation yourself"

This is the link, but you will notice that its still not available. http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

I'm only taking delivery in November so I don't mind waiting till the kit is released. In South Africa where I live, the IS 350F Sports comes standard with non ML DVD playback capability & Navigation.
Finally got my car and I can now confirm that the beatsonic NT6223 TV Navi controller works like a charm to enable DVD while in motion as well as opening up all the features that are normally blocked while driving. I just completed the install myself. It took me all of 45 minutes because I was very careful when removing and replacing panels.
Old 01-22-14, 02:20 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMal, is there a DIY for this? do you have to take out the radio unit or just pannels?
Old 01-22-14, 02:33 PM
AMalick
Rookie

Default Its very simple

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
AMal, is there a DIY for this? do you have to take out the radio unit or just pannels?
Its pretty DIY, You can use this thread which I updated to see how to remove the panels and the radio unit. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...head-unit.html

The radio unit removal is very very simple once the panels are out of the way. That part took me under 5 minutes.

Then this manual for the GS model kind of explains the actual beatsonic overide unit installation. The beatsonic installation is identical other than the panel and radio unit removal of course
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013 GS DIY.pdf (1.42 MB, 835 views)
Old 08-19-16, 04:06 PM
felen310
Driver

now i want to buy the beatsonic NT6223, any one know where i can purchase this from? i went to the beatsonic website but couldnt find that model
Old 08-19-16, 04:09 PM
Stevent
Driver

Originally Posted by felen310
now i want to buy the beatsonic NT6223, any one know where i can purchase this from? i went to the beatsonic website but couldnt find that model
PM Beatsonic and they can help you find the model you need and they can give you the CL pricing.

Quick Reply: Playing DVD on ML System while driving