IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

first car wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 02:18 PM
sleazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first car wash

so I get free car washes at the dealer. The only day I would have time is on Saturday and I can only imagine how long the wait is going to be. So basically I'll be doing the first wash myself. This is my first NEW car, and I was looking for advice on such things as what soap is best, sponges to use/not use, wax, and any other information that you think is important.
Old 08-02-13, 03:36 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use a basic wash mit that has the cloth wormy looking things on it. Any car soap will work. Use cold water. For wax you can try the new Meguiars stuff. Or Zaino

I first spray the wheels with simple green to help release all the brake dust.
Old 08-02-13, 03:56 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing, no sponges. The flat face of the sponge traps grit and scrapes it across your car, leading to swirls. Below is a list of what you will need:

1) Lambswool wash mitt - traps dirt inside so the grit doesnt touch the paint
2) 2 buckets - one for the car shampoo, the other for rinsing after each panel
3) Microfibre drying towel/pure leather chamois - for drying without swirls, i personally use a chamois because I find it is much easier to use
4) Tar remover - to take tar off the car
5) Iron decontaminant - Get rid of the iron deposits/rail dust on your car. It may be brand new but youll be surprised by how much rail dust the car already has. IronX is the best in my opinion
6) clay bar - to remove other bonded contaminants on the vehicle, again, the car may be new, but youll be surprised by how much crap is on there
7) Tyre gloss - to bring out the shine in the tyres, zaino z16, chemical guys new look are very good
8) Plastic protectant - to keep the plastic trim nice and black and protect it from going grey/white
9) a good car shampoo - meguiars gold class is good and wont strip wax
10) pH neutral wheel cleaner - keep those rims looking shiny and get the dirt off. pH neutral so it doesnt negatively affect the wheel. Lots of horror stories around about acidic wheel cleaners
11) A polish - to keep the "natural" swirls at bay
12) Wax/sealant - to protect the finished vehicle, i personally use collinite 476s and meguiars #16 as they last for 3 months+

Oh and please dont scrub the paint as hard as you can. It should feel like you are barely touching the car. Just glide it over, thats all.
Old 08-02-13, 05:40 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by sleazy
so I get free car washes at the dealer. The only day I would have time is on Saturday and I can only imagine how long the wait is going to be. So basically I'll be doing the first wash myself. This is my first NEW car, and I was looking for advice on such things as what soap is best, sponges to use/not use, wax, and any other information that you think is important.
Check out this site: http://www.autopia.org/
Old 08-02-13, 05:58 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

DO NOT LET THE DEALER WASH THAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!! Wash it yourself... Seriously. Even when you go in for service, make it a point to remind them, NO WASH. Or put signs in the windows, Seriously.
Old 08-02-13, 07:36 PM
LEXUS1904
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
DO NOT LET THE DEALER WASH THAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!! Wash it yourself... Seriously. Even when you go in for service, make it a point to remind them, NO WASH. Or put signs in the windows, Seriously.
Why not?? Swirls? Non-microfiber cloths?
Old 08-02-13, 07:52 PM
tunezz
Driver School Candidate

NEVER take a car through automatic car wash....unless you love swirlies all over your paint. I dont let dealer wash my car either
Old 08-02-13, 08:01 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS1904
Why not?? Swirls? Non-microfiber cloths?
let's put it this way... if you let the dealer wash your car the paint will never be the same unless you get a professional detail done after they ****** up your paint. after i buy a new car i always take it to DD and let Phil bless me with a new car prep (because the dealer has already trashed your paint before you rolled out with it), i just have to maintain it after he's done. my car has no scratches or swirls etc, and the new car prep was done in april. my car never sees a carwash... touchless, brushless, whatever. some don't care but i can't see someone allowing another person or machine to ****** up the paint on a beautiful car... makes the car look ugly, TJM.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 08-02-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-02-13, 08:28 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Totally agreed. Now I know I am not alone. I always request the dealership to have "no wash" when going in for a service. Now they all know and it is by default when I go there.
Old 08-03-13, 08:24 AM
Timmah
Driver

Make sure you use two bucket method. Invest in a microfiber wash mit. use two bucket method one for soap and one for clean water. dip wash mit into clean water before dipping into soap. use wafle weave towel to dry car just lay it on the pannel pat dry and pick up and move to next section. If you have a leaf blower that would be the best to method to prevent swirling up the car.
Old 08-03-13, 08:43 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Dealer car wash sucks. My car already got scratches from pre delivery detail, I thought this dealer might be different but they're all the same.
Old 09-01-13, 09:50 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Is a "touchless" from start to finish car wash acceptable?
Old 09-01-13, 10:14 AM
palidino
Rookie

I just run my car thru the gas stations auto car washes. Is tht bad?
Old 09-01-13, 10:45 AM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
First thing, no sponges. The flat face of the sponge traps grit and scrapes it across your car, leading to swirls. Below is a list of what you will need:

1) Lambswool wash mitt - traps dirt inside so the grit doesnt touch the paint
2) 2 buckets - one for the car shampoo, the other for rinsing after each panel
3) Microfibre drying towel/pure leather chamois - for drying without swirls, i personally use a chamois because I find it is much easier to use
4) Tar remover - to take tar off the car
5) Iron decontaminant - Get rid of the iron deposits/rail dust on your car. It may be brand new but youll be surprised by how much rail dust the car already has. IronX is the best in my opinion
6) clay bar - to remove other bonded contaminants on the vehicle, again, the car may be new, but youll be surprised by how much crap is on there
7) Tyre gloss - to bring out the shine in the tyres, zaino z16, chemical guys new look are very good
8) Plastic protectant - to keep the plastic trim nice and black and protect it from going grey/white
9) a good car shampoo - meguiars gold class is good and wont strip wax
10) pH neutral wheel cleaner - keep those rims looking shiny and get the dirt off. pH neutral so it doesnt negatively affect the wheel. Lots of horror stories around about acidic wheel cleaners
11) A polish - to keep the "natural" swirls at bay
12) Wax/sealant - to protect the finished vehicle, i personally use collinite 476s and meguiars #16 as they last for 3 months+

Oh and please dont scrub the paint as hard as you can. It should feel like you are barely touching the car. Just glide it over, thats all.

I add grit screens/guards in my buckets to ensure the grit and grime stay in the bottom of the buckets.