IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus vs BMW

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 07:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99
^ ^ ^ I'd quote that, but I want to save cyberspace.

Dude, what's with your "reviews"... They all say the same thing. I see what you are saying. Although you drove the base model 335i. Suspension-wise, yeah, it is not nearly as agile. Upgrading to the sport suspension (called Adaptive M Chassis) or even going for the best (Dynamic Handling package w/ Variable Assist) completely changes the game. That is why the 335i won the most recent MT competition between the S4/ATS/3IS (non-F) I have no clue, though, how you came to this conclusion:

Having OWNED both the 2IS and 335i, the 2IS handled nowhere near as well. For one thing, the seating position in the 2IS felt like a golf cart, versus the 335i which feels more like my old S2000. I could take this hairpin turn near my house at 30 MPH without losing grip in the 2IS. In my 335i, I can do this at 37 MPH (HUD helps me keep tabs). The precision in the 335i just feels superior. It is immediately noticeable in my opinion. The 2IS felt almost as fast as the 335i, though. I took it to the drag strip and ran a 13.6@ 102 on a HOT day- pretty damn good. I don't know why all the 3ISs do it in the 14s. There's no way the tranny slows it that much. Bad drivers early on?
In my comparisons, I am referring to the old 2IS350 with the base suspension, versus the new 335i also with the base suspension.
I normally only test the base suspension because I personally prefer a good ride.
I have test driven the new 3IS in F Sport with electronic dampers, but never the new 335i with the Sports suspension.
The old base IS350 handles much more securely than the new standard base 335i, which is too floaty and insecure at the limit.

Glashub's quote of Car and Driver Page 3, third paragraph: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...m-sport-page-3
sums it up perfectly when they say: "Even with the optional suspension, body control falters".
The new 335i's damping [shock absorber] control is poor.

Exactly which model and suspension grade of old 2IS and new 335i do you own?
The 2IS350 with normal or Sports suspension, and the new 335i also with the normal or the Sports suspension?
Even with the optional Sports suspension, Car and Driver Magazine agrees with me that the 335i's body control is poor.

Btw, contrary to reports that the new 3IS is only 35 to 50 lbs heavier - the new 3IS is actually 100-200 lbs heavier depending on model, so the new 3IS is not as accelerative in the straight line, or around corners as the old 2IS.
So far, all these cars including the 3 Series, IS and C Class have increased in size and weight over the years, and this is actually particularly detrimental to their handling. Meanwhile, the straight line acceleration can be compensated for by increasing capacity, or adding turbos etc...

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-18-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 07:49 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
What he said, clearly does not apply to you, so I don't understand why you're so upset about it. Leasing doesn't work for everyone and there WILL be people out there who can swing an IS350 payment but not a 335 payment.

I just don't understand the issue here. Would it have made you feel better if he added a disclaimer that reads "If you can afford either car and decide on the IS, this does not apply to you, please disregard" ???
Condescending is condescending whether it applies to me or not -- it's written on a public forum. Why don't you run what he wrote by a few people and then report back what they had to say?
Old 07-18-13, 07:51 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By your own admission, its a public forum, hence, its already been "run by" several people. Only one is crying about it...
Old 07-18-13, 07:53 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Why do you search out my posts to attack? Been going on for a while. Since you're so good at searching I'm surprised you didn't search for the meaning of condescending before posting again out of your ****. Here you go:

con·de·scend·ing

/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/

Adjective

1.Acting in a way that betrays a feeling of patronizing superiority.
2.(of an action) Demonstrating such an attitude.
Old 07-18-13, 07:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Don't flatter yourself, I assure you your posts aren't being sought out by me.

You defining the word condescending changed exactly nothing. We all know what it means, only one person thinks its happening.
Old 07-18-13, 08:02 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbayse99
^ ^ ^ I'd quote that, but I want to save cyberspace.

Dude, what's with your "reviews"... They all say the same thing. I see what you are saying. Although you drove the base model 335i. Suspension-wise, yeah, it is not nearly as agile. Upgrading to the sport suspension (called Adaptive M Chassis) or even going for the best (Dynamic Handling package w/ Variable Assist) completely changes the game. That is why the 335i won the most recent MT competition between the S4/ATS/3IS (non-F) I have no clue, though, how you came to this conclusion:

Having OWNED both the 2IS and 335i, the 2IS handled nowhere near as well. For one thing, the seating position in the 2IS felt like a golf cart, versus the 335i which feels more like my old S2000. I could take this hairpin turn near my house at 30 MPH without losing grip in the 2IS. In my 335i, I can do this at 37 MPH (HUD helps me keep tabs). The precision in the 335i just feels superior. It is immediately noticeable in my opinion. The 2IS felt almost as fast as the 335i, though. I took it to the drag strip and ran a 13.6@ 102 on a HOT day- pretty damn good. I don't know why all the 3ISs do it in the 14s. There's no way the tranny slows it that much. Bad drivers early on?
The 3IS beat the 2013 BMW 335i M Sport overall according to C&D. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

You know that right?

I've driven the 2IS for a few days and own the 3IS Fsport. If you haven't had a chance to put the Fsport in Sport + mode and throw it through some twisting roads then you should. I think you'd be surprised.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-18-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 08:05 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Don't flatter yourself, I assure you your posts aren't being sought out by me.

You defining the word condescending changed exactly nothing. We all know what it means, only one person thinks its happening.
I think you may issues. I suspect that 95% of the drama in your life is created by you for your entertainment. Clearly you've found 8 years worth of reasons to not buy a car so why would this year be any different?

Last edited by Glashub; 07-18-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 08:10 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Ramon I'm reserving this space for you because I'm certain you can't resist your obsession to stalk.
Old 07-18-13, 08:13 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glashub
I think you may issues. Go drive your 8 year old IS around the block and like Dorothy wish you back in Kansas again where you can option an IS exactly as you like it. Clearly you've found 8 years worth of reasons to not buy a car so why would this year be any different?
What's this got to do with anything we were just discussing? Lol

Sorry glashub, I don't need to lower myself to personal attacks.
Old 07-18-13, 08:17 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
Why do you search out my posts to attack? Been going on for a while. Since you're so good at searching I'm surprised you didn't search for the meaning of condescending before posting again out of your ****. Here you go:

con·de·scend·ing

/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/

Adjective

1.Acting in a way that betrays a feeling of patronizing superiority.
2.(of an action) Demonstrating such an attitude.
Can you guys please stop? There is a constructive way to debate the pros and cons of different cars and personal attacks is not it.

Also, you should probably go look up the definition of "irony" next. *snicker* Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 07-18-13, 08:21 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Noun
The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
Old 07-18-13, 08:22 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

What's this got to do with anything we were just discussing? Lol

Sorry glashub, I don't need to lower myself to personal attacks.
I can't lower my standards fast enough to get to where you are Ramon. Back off of me. You got it. You understand that homeboy?
Old 07-18-13, 08:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stillhart

Also, you should probably go look up the definition of "irony" next. *snicker* Sorry, couldn't resist.
I see what you did there, pretty good catch. In light of the more recent posts, ITG on urban dictionary is another good one to know.
Old 07-18-13, 09:12 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Great.
More defending of BMW's honor from jbayse99

In the end :
2014 IS > F30 3 series in chassis
F30 > 2014 IS in powertrains

Anything else is just revolving around the same 2 points.

Fact : BMW is locked into the F30 chassis for the next 5-7 years until a brand new 3 series chassis can be developed ( considering typical German car lifecycles.)
Fact : brand new Lexus powertrains are just 1-2 years away

Last edited by natnut; 07-18-13 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 09:23 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by natnut
Great.
More defending of BMW's honor from jbayse99

In the end :
2014 IS > F30 3 series in handling, steering feel and chassis solidity, looks, techy stuff, trunk size, exclusivity, MSRP, reliability
F30 > 2014 IS in straightline accleration, torque, classiness, back seat space, availability of cheaper used models, safety, aftermarket support

Anything else is just revolving around the same 2 points.
You left off a few points. To me, things like trunk space and back seat space matter a lot, as I have a family to haul around. In the real world, many performance aspects fade in the background compared to practical issues like "can I get my stroller in the trunk" or "can I fit my in-laws in the back seat with the car seat". Magazine tests don't tell the whole story.

FWIW, I can't fit my stroller in the trunk of the F30 and I can in the IS. That cool suspension that gives more trunk space makes a huge difference, cuz it's not even close in the bimmer.

(Maybe if we turn the discussion away from performance metrics, we can get it moving in a more productive direction?)

Quick Reply: Lexus vs BMW