IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2.5L V6's days are numbered

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 11:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

NOW they finally have my attention with the 3IS.

But I am still perplexed and disturbed at the company's marketing. They seem to be going out of their way to introduce all new models with old tech/carryover motors/transmissions (strike 1), screw first year buyers (strike 2), and leave a lower first impression out of the gate with everyone else (strike 3). I see no advantage delaying greatly improved engines only by one model year. And don't anyone tell me it's to gain sales momentum. You need the greatest momentum at the redesign or facelift, not shoe-horned inbetween. No other manufacturer makes it a habit introducing cars or major features this way.

So once again, Lexus has created a lame duck model like it did with the last GS. Pity 2014 resale value too (strike 4).

I'd also like to point out a piece of this story leaked over a year ago, hinting to what Hoovey is stating today. I believe it was Toyota announcing they were working on a new turbo four, to be added to the Camry facelift and many other corporate cars. I think we even had a thread on it. So here's that claim now coming to fruition.

Thanks Hoovey for this most excellent news.
Old 05-13-13, 02:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
NOW they finally have my attention with the 3IS.

But I am still perplexed and disturbed at the company's marketing. They seem to be going out of their way to introduce all new models with old tech/carryover motors/transmissions (strike 1), screw first year buyers (strike 2), and leave a lower first impression out of the gate with everyone else (strike 3). I see no advantage delaying greatly improved engines only by one model year. And don't anyone tell me it's to gain sales momentum. You need the greatest momentum at the redesign or facelift, not shoe-horned inbetween. No other manufacturer makes it a habit introducing cars or major features this way.

So once again, Lexus has created a lame duck model like it did with the last GS. Pity 2014 resale value too (strike 4).

I'd also like to point out a piece of this story leaked over a year ago, hinting to what Hoovey is stating today. I believe it was Toyota announcing they were working on a new turbo four, to be added to the Camry facelift and many other corporate cars. I think we even had a thread on it. So here's that claim now coming to fruition.

Thanks Hoovey for this most excellent news.
it was actually said to "come to one car in 2014" as much as I remember, probably NX200t... maybe that was 2013, not 2014 then?

but as i said before, its not like they have engine ready and they are waiting to introduce it... it is not ready... hence IS250 and GS250.
Old 05-13-13, 07:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ other way around. They shouldnt have brought the old 2.5 back at all. How could the engine not be ready yet unless they have been sitting on their asses this whole time
Exactly. The GS 300 and GS 430 were in the majority of reviews and they were absoloute in a year as the GS 300 and GS 450h/460 came which were not in as many reviews. The press already made their minds up on the cars which is a huge marketing tool.

The GS 350 came a year later with much more power and nearly just as good MPG but it didn't enjoy the "new" marketing since the car was now a year old. Why they would do the SAME THING with the IS is beyond me, it didn't work with the GS at all.

When Lexus stated they were going to keep engines updated I think most of us thought maybe a mid-cycle refresh, not one year after the debut of a car.

The IS 250 is being reviewed and tested left and right already since the car is "all-new".
Old 05-13-13, 08:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Exactly. The GS 300 and GS 430 were in the majority of reviews and they were absoloute in a year as the GS 300 and GS 450h/460 came which were not in as many reviews. The press already made their minds up on the cars which is a huge marketing tool.

The GS 350 came a year later with much more power and nearly just as good MPG but it didn't enjoy the "new" marketing since the car was now a year old. Why they would do the SAME THING with the IS is beyond me, it didn't work with the GS at all.

When Lexus stated they were going to keep engines updated I think most of us thought maybe a mid-cycle refresh, not one year after the debut of a car.

The IS 250 is being reviewed and tested left and right already since the car is "all-new".
I didn't think about that, but yeah, truth
Old 05-13-13, 09:00 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great news! I'm hoping to hear news on an updated IS350 engine too.
Old 05-13-13, 10:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
older, emissions, market equalization due to competition just some of the reasons I'm sure. Otherwise the 300 would not have been dropped from the GS line in the first place
its the same engine as the 2.5 and 3.5 just 3 liters. 3GR-FSE
Old 05-13-13, 03:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I got "wind" of this towards the end of January....

I guess we will have to wait & see on how Lexus will package the Turbo motors...

This will also be a massive project for Lexus and all the dealership training that will be required for techs and etc. etc.. etc..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-13-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 05:28 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its the same engine as the 2.5 and 3.5 just 3 liters. 3GR-FSE
Is the 3.0L more efficient than the 2.5L though? If not then it doesn't matter, US stopped using it, overseas like Middle East they still have the IS300
Old 05-13-13, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I got "wind" of this towards the end of January....

I guess we will have to wait & see on how Lexus will package the Turbo motors...

This will also be a massive project for Lexus and all the dealership training that will be required for techs and etc. etc.. etc..

~ Joe Z
I think most people did when the NX200t patent came out

there's always training for new products. Lexus is good about making sure service and sales are well versed in the product
Old 05-13-13, 06:31 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it an I4 or a flat four like in the FRS.
Old 05-13-13, 07:16 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait to hear about the an update for the 3.5 V6 engine.
Old 05-13-13, 08:54 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mrraider
Is it an I4 or a flat four like in the FRS.
I'm assuming the NX will have a I4 turbo design for FWD, and the IS will have a I4 variant for RWD. That's of course speculation. I don't think anyone but Lexus knows that. Keep in mind you'll probably see a RC200t and GS200t eventually and I just don't see them using a flat four in those (IMO)
Old 05-13-13, 10:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I think most people did when the NX200t patent came out

there's always training for new products. Lexus is good about making sure service and sales are well versed in the product
That's not what I meant..... We all have different types of sources of info..!!

Again what I meant was the huge undertaking of training techs on "how to" work on turbo motors and of course the reliability of the design for the end consumer.

You don't just switch over to using Turbos at the snap of a finger..

- Joe Z
Old 05-14-13, 02:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm assuming the NX will have a I4 turbo design for FWD, and the IS will have a I4 variant for RWD. That's of course speculation. I don't think anyone but Lexus knows that. Keep in mind you'll probably see a RC200t and GS200t eventually and I just don't see them using a flat four in those (IMO)

that 2.0t will probably go into full lineup sans LS... maybe even in LS in China, as there engines over 2.0l are taxed more.

In any case, for anyone even remotely thinking about speed in IS250, they should upgrade to IS350 :-)
Old 05-14-13, 05:39 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm praying for a turbo version of the flat 4 found in the BRZ/FRS. Imagine the handling benefits from the low centre of gravity of that engine. The GS200T/IS200T would have the lowest CG in class.

Last edited by natnut; 05-14-13 at 05:44 AM.

Quick Reply: The 2.5L V6's days are numbered