IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Blower motor fan stays on

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 10:20 AM
Mistacyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor fan stays on

07 is250 blower motor won’t turn off when ignition turns off. I disconnected the cables to the blower control module and the fan will still stay on, it only turns off if I unplug the blower motor directly. However today I went to plug in the blower motor to turn the fan on and now the fan will not turn on at all. Is it possible the blower motor is just bad and needs to be replaced ?
Old 09-17-20, 10:35 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 771 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistacyn
07 is250 blower motor won’t turn off when ignition turns off. I disconnected the cables to the blower control module and the fan will still stay on, it only turns off if I unplug the blower motor directly. However today I went to plug in the blower motor to turn the fan on and now the fan will not turn on at all. Is it possible the blower motor is just bad and needs to be replaced ?
Pull the motor, and hook it up to a 12v source. If its working then it's not the motor.
Old 09-17-20, 01:49 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Pull the motor, and hook it up to a 12v source. If its working then it's not the motor.
Look in the fuse panel for the relay. It is responsible for disconnecting power from the motor. It does not control fan speed. If the contacts burn, it could leave the contacts stuck. Also, burned contacts could explain the no start too as they not healthy enough to conduct current needed to run the motor. The relay should be labeled.
Old 09-17-20, 04:55 PM
Mistacyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I fixed it about an hour ago, I tried swapping the blower control module since I believed that’s where it got the power source and also I could not control the fan speed when it was on so I thought that would be it and I had an extra control module, that didn’t work so I just went and go a new blower motor fan since mine was under warranty and everything is back to normal and functioning perfect for now. Hopefully it stays that way. I had a problem with my ac drain being clogged and it was flooding my carpets and water was coming out under the dash around the blower motor from the water being backed up, so I’m assuming water got into the blower motor and shorted out something.
Old 09-17-20, 05:53 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistacyn
Thanks for the advice, I fixed it about an hour ago, I tried swapping the blower control module since I believed that’s where it got the power source and also I could not control the fan speed when it was on so I thought that would be it and I had an extra control module, that didn’t work so I just went and go a new blower motor fan since mine was under warranty and everything is back to normal and functioning perfect for now. Hopefully it stays that way. I had a problem with my ac drain being clogged and it was flooding my carpets and water was coming out under the dash around the blower motor from the water being backed up, so I’m assuming water got into the blower motor and shorted out something.
Interesting. Glad you shared about the speed and water. I am a bit baffled as to how it stayed on when power is chopped. Let us know how this holds up. Glad you fixed it.