IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extra services to get done while subframe is dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 12:53 PM
gpr2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extra services to get done while subframe is dropped?

So my engine and transmission mounts are starting to get a bit worn, and I was planning to have them done at a shop.

My mechanic tells me they will have to drop the whole subframe, is there any other bushings I could replace or service while he's at it (or general services to get done)?

It's almost at 120k miles, so I don't mind spending some extra money on anything that might firm up the handling/suspension or overall feel of the car. The handling can seem a bit imprecise (and wanders a little) at times at highway speeds, even after tire balancing and alignments.

I also plan to get the GSF/RCF LCA bushings so, should I get those installed at the same time or are those the same amount of work regardless of the subframe drop?

Before I get this all done, I plan to DIY my steering rack bushings (with FIGS), also in an effort to sharpen up the handling.

Cheers!
Old 08-24-20, 01:39 PM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't looked at a parts diagram for this car but can only assume swaybar bushings are going to be right there for a subframe drop. I'd leave the steering rack bushings for that time too. I'd consider CV boots too, one of mine split around 130 and the other side is dry and rotted too.
Old 08-24-20, 01:49 PM
gpr2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually did the sway bar bushings recently, I didn't need to move anything other than the big plastic cover. You don't even need to jack up the car really.

For the steering rack bushings isn't it just two 19mm bolts? The only thread I can find about doing it is https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-bushings.html and it seems like people are able to do it without messing with the subframe (first guy said it's a PITA, but no one else mentions much difficulty aside from the guy who couldn't break the bolt free). He has an AWD IS250, so I'm not sure if it'll be easier for me on my RWD, or harder for me because the 350 engine is bigger, there doesn't seem to be a good DIY anywhere.

I can see the upside of getting it done while I'm at the shop, but I kinda like to wrench as a hobby if the project is small enough.

Part of my reasoning is I want to identify which part ends up making the most difference, but if it's not worth the hassle I'll just let the shop do it all at once.
Old 08-24-20, 01:54 PM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not worth the hassle to do yourself if the subframe is getting dropped IMO. steering rack bolts are always a PITA.
Old 08-24-20, 02:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,415 Posts

LCA Bushings (either RR Racing or Figs Polyurethane bushings) or the RCF LCA bushings, F-Sport Sway bars, and as mentioned take a look at the boots for cracks/leaks, and being worn. Both my 2006 Camry SE and 2013 Sienna had to have the whole CV and boots changed post 100K
Old 08-24-20, 05:10 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,241 Posts

This is me coming from years of transmission R&R, but I see two very clear options that do not involve dropping the subframe which is not a big deal other than the steering shaft, but in most cases you can jack the engine up enough to replace the mounts. If not, the right side easily allows the 4 bolts to be pulled and remove the mounting bracket from the engine.

If you pull the subframe it can change camber and caster if not returned to its origin AND this is true of the LCA too. So, both of these require an alignment. The rack bushings themselves will not alter the alignment, but could change the steering wheel ever so slightly. Alignment not changing assumes no one is changing tie rods or stuff like that.

But to another users input, if the steering coupler is pulled from the rack, that would be the best time to do those bushings. Be sure to secure the steering wheel so the clock springs don't get ruined.

The left side may have starter blocking your path but still, I'd jack the engine up slightly before pulling the SF. 4GR right.

Above is my 350 right side.