IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to adhere something to dash without damaging it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 07:47 AM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question How to adhere something to dash without damaging it?

Hey all,

I am trying to adhere a "VAVA phone mount" to my dash at the shown location above, but despite using the alcohol prep pads to clean the surface and pressing down firmly to achieve full adhesion the mount always falls off within 24 hours. I understand that there would be easier locations such as above the A/C vents, but I would like to use the indicated location if possible because a wire could be easily routed along the driver side edge of the center panel, and it's easier for me to view for GPS usage.

Are there any adhesive solutions that won't permanently damage the dash material (i.e. that can be removed by a chemical that won't damage the plastic)?
As a last resort, could I disassemble the dash and drill a small hole to mount it? (I believe a small hole would be easier to fill than repainting the damage from a strong adhesive or solvent)
Old 01-23-19, 10:17 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Honestly, I'd find a different mount. There's no simple way to mount something to a dash using adhesive (especially non-damaging ones) that see extreme temps changes.
Old 01-24-19, 01:26 PM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Honestly, I'd find a different mount. There's no simple way to mount something to a dash using adhesive (especially non-damaging ones) that see extreme temps changes.
Different mount, or different mount location? The VAVA mount uses 3M adhesive, which I've read is pretty high quality.
Old 01-24-19, 03:59 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 767 Likes on 670 Posts

I'd doubt you'll find any adhesive to help it stick to a textured surface. If it does then it will probably be to strong of a bond, and damage the area after removal.
Old 01-24-19, 04:59 PM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I'd doubt you'll find any adhesive to help it stick to a textured surface. If it does then it will probably be to strong of a bond, and damage the area after removal.
So removing the dash and drilling a small hole to physically mount the phone mount would be a better option? I'm just thinking of resale value years down the line-- a small hole would be easier to fill and color match than a whole cracked/marred circle.
Old 01-24-19, 05:34 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 767 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2IS
So removing the dash and drilling a small hole to physically mount the phone mount would be a better option? I'm just thinking of resale value years down the line-- a small hole would be easier to fill and color match than a whole cracked/marred circle.

Honestly it's your car. That's something you need to decide. Yeah It'll probably be easy to cover up, and no need to remove the dash. Just remove the instrument cluster. You'll have access to that area. Well depending how far in you want to position it. You may just need to remove the bezel.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 01-24-19 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2IS (02-01-19)
Old 01-24-19, 07:51 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Hm I'd have suggested something like 3M VHB but I don't know about removing it...
Old 01-24-19, 08:41 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

...What about a vent mount?
Old 01-24-19, 10:58 PM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zmon
...What about a vent mount?
The mount I bought cost about $20 and is out of its return period, so I'd rather not have it go to waste if I can avoid it at all. The magnets are strong enough to firmly hold my phone in place and at the angle I want, the only failing point is the adhesion to the dash.
Old 01-24-19, 10:59 PM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Honestly it's your car. That's something you need to decide. Yeah It'll probably be easy to cover up, and no need to remove the dash. Just remove the instrument cluster. You'll have access to that area. Well depending how far in you want to position it. You may just need to remove the bezel.
Ah, thank you for the tips! I'll look in to disassembly of the instrument cluster.

Old 01-25-19, 07:51 AM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Drilling into your dash for a $20 mount seems a little intense. Throw it on Craigslist or eBay and buy one that is designed to fit better.
Old 01-25-19, 09:06 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2IS
The mount I bought cost about $20 and is out of its return period, so I'd rather not have it go to waste if I can avoid it at all. The magnets are strong enough to firmly hold my phone in place and at the angle I want, the only failing point is the adhesion to the dash.
I certainly wouldn't go destroying my dash for a $20 mount to be honest. I don't know if you've had your dash replaced or not, but I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near it with a drill if it was replaced already, nor would I want to put any adhesive on it to risk any future damage. I would cut my losses and just look into a windshield or vent mount, maybe sell it or just pass it off to a friend/family member who could use one.
Old 01-25-19, 09:57 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny88880
Drilling into your dash for a $20 mount seems a little intense. Throw it on Craigslist or eBay and buy one that is designed to fit better.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-25-19, 10:14 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

WoW, drilling holes in a dashboard to mount cheap phone holder, hmm that totally makes sense...(!)
Would phone mount that attaches to the windshield work? They sell plenty of magnetic phone holders that attach to the dash vent.
When you disassemble dash or cluster and break something, trust me it will cost you lot more than $20 dollars to fix it.
Old 01-25-19, 10:40 AM
Ed Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default phone mount

To your original question, I've had luck with 3M industrial grade adhesives for projects like this. You may give this a try before more radical approaches and disassemblies of the dash?

3M™ Hook and Loop Fastener MP3526N/MP3527N

For application clean surfaces well with Acetone, or at the very minimum an IPA. I use a degreaser made for automotive paint applications but that is not necessary. Clean the surfaces completely with sterile gauze, like you'd use for first aid, or in a pinch clean paper towels though they can leave particles behind. Cut the adhesive strips to maximize your surface area, that is as big as you can get it onto your mount pad. When handling the cut pieces use tweezers to remove the adhesion backing to ensure that your fingers never touch the surfaces, not even a little. Apply sufficient and even force when introducing the piece to the dash. The 'pebbly' nature of a dashboard is not the perfectly flat surface that is ideally suited to adhesives so you will have to press in an effort to get the adhesive past the bumps and into the crevices as much as possible.

The reason I suggested 'hook and loop' is that in the event of a bump hopefully the velcro will fail before the adhesive. The 3M product has a high shear rating, but putting your phone in and out of the holder without care could look more like a peel force applied which is quite different. You would want to exercise care with insertion and removal for best results I would imagine.

Unless Lexus has added a plasticizer on the dash material to repel adhesives I believe the right product applied with diligence can at least outlast 24 hours before failure.

Try not to be sloppy with the Acetone, it will destroy the plastic of an instrument cluster immediately. Just apply a little to the gauze and then only clean the patch to which you will apply the mount and vice versa. If it works really well, which I hope it does, for removal you can slide dental floss behind it and floss the patch off which will remove the bulk if done carefully. Follow this with a little goo-gone for the remainder.

Good luck and if it doesn't work perhaps it was worth another try?

Just as an aside, I employed this method with a 3M hook and loop that is entirely plastic to affix some chrome headlight washer covers onto the bumper of a 95 Jag XJS. I needed to 'dress it' quickly and didn't want to pull off the bumper and do it right at that moment. They have survived hand car washes and speeds exceeding well over 100mph. I've recently discovered that those covers are now NLA so I will have to get out there and do them correctly I guess. They've been like that for ~10 years, though admittedly the car isn't driven too frequently.

Ed
Dallas, Tx
The following users liked this post:
Jay2IS (01-27-19)

Quick Reply: How to adhere something to dash without damaging it?