IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New headlight option is coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 06:04 AM
EZLex
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

am i missing something? why would they use an HID for highbeams? Isn't that redundant since HId's take a minute to "warm up" or does that not matter? I always thought HIDs for highs were no good. Either way i still plan on trying these out come spring. Can't wait to see a review!
Old 12-10-18, 08:31 AM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah the HID for high beam really seems odd to me - especially since the response time in the video looks too fast to not be LED. Can someone in that group reach out for clarification?
Old 12-10-18, 08:47 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Well they probably figured even with the 3rd led. There wouldn't be enough light out put where high beams are needed. They do seem to give you the option to run stock bulb. Therefore you can probably somehow retrofit an LED setup as well into the headlight. JM2C
Old 12-10-18, 03:19 PM
Mysta
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any deals on these? Was about to clean up my 2012 headlights but seems like an easy option.
Old 12-12-18, 01:45 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Whats the word on these? They are in production currently and will be availabe in 2019? I have 2012 LED OEM's but these looks nice and the price will be good I bet.

I have the VLand tail lights and love them.
Old 12-12-18, 02:21 PM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the price is ok I might get these.
Old 12-12-18, 08:23 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
Whats the word on these? They are in production currently and will be availabe in 2019? I have 2012 LED OEM's but these looks nice and the price will be good I bet.

I have the VLand tail lights and love them.
Vland contacted me today to tell me that "these are still producing" lol. They estimate delivery around Christmas or up to a few weeks after.

Originally Posted by Allan1
If the price is ok I might get these.
The price was $469 with free shipping last month it's back to the regular price now of $539. Dunno about if shipping is still free.
Old 12-14-18, 02:55 PM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joelseff
Vland contacted me today to tell me that "these are still producing" lol. They estimate delivery around Christmas or up to a few weeks after.

The price was $469 with free shipping last month it's back to the regular price now of $539. Dunno about if shipping is still free.
That was only for the group buy. $539 plus shipping is what it will be from now on.
Old 12-14-18, 02:57 PM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm assuming it was to save a couple dollars on their end by having the high beams be HID. Cause really, how many times are you gonna use your high beams? Not enough for it to be a full LED like the other lights that are on all the time.
Old 12-14-18, 03:32 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtlyzd
I'm assuming it was to save a couple dollars on their end by having the high beams be HID. Cause really, how many times are you gonna use your high beams? Not enough for it to be a full LED like the other lights that are on all the time.
That's such a dumb decision anyways IMO. Unless they figured out instant-on HIDs, they're just about useless for flashing people. Then you have that time delay for when they're fully warmed up to use anyways. I can't imagine the bulb + ballast was cheaper than using an LED...
Old 12-14-18, 05:42 PM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtlyzd
Depends on where you drive I suppose. I use my high beams frequently, driving on empty highways at night or on wooded roads in my area, and my current LED high beams have been a blessing. If I was spending $500+ for a "Full LED" headlamp unit I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for it to actually be Full LED.
Old 12-15-18, 12:33 PM
URAGEEK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found these for sale on ebay now... Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link or not... seller is carlamp15. pics below are NOT them. see caption below!

I also took some pics of an LS on what they were based on.
Old 12-16-18, 07:12 AM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The price is not bad at all. Would be great if someone gets them first and gave some actual feedback.
Have to buy the taillights also from them to match up.

Ebay

Last edited by Allan1; 12-16-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-16-18, 07:24 AM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Viru
Depends on where you drive I suppose. I use my high beams frequently, driving on empty highways at night or on wooded roads in my area, and my current LED high beams have been a blessing. If I was spending $500+ for a "Full LED" headlamp unit I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for it to actually be Full LED.

Yeah the Hi's being HID is a head scratcher... I'm also wondering if the high beam stays on at 30% power like the stocks or Vipmotoz? In the video with the lights on the car it looks like the swoosh was the only thing on in one shot but they could have engaged the parking brake or had their DRL feature turned off.

My dealer has adamantly refused to turn mine off citing safety issues and wouldn't even let me sign a waiver. I have the stock 2010 HID lights with a CANBUS error free LED in the Hi's now which is far better than the ugly stock halogen bulb.

I had Vipmotoz for a season but even that, to have the swoosh on it would need to be in parking/city lights mode on the stalk and the Hi beam would be on at 30%. Looked kinda meh.

Well we should find out soon about all these questions. Waiting for an actual user review. Will post one as well once I get and install them.
Old 12-16-18, 09:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,299 Posts

^^^^Does the LED light up as the running light? Reduced power? Pict?

Lou

Quick Reply: New headlight option is coming soon