IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LEAST favorite feature of the 2is

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 04:03 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
Default LEAST favorite feature of the 2is

So there is a thread for our most favorite parts of our cars . How about those things that we loathe or simply dislike about our cars? Just the pessimist in me I suppose.....
1). Rain sensing wipers- I am o.c.d. when it comes to wiper speed and these suckers are way too sensitive

2). High idle on cold mornings- yes I know it helps warm her up faster but sometimes I have to go after 5 minutes of warm up time and she makes the first few minutes of driving awkward.

Any other things that urk yall?
Old 04-10-18, 04:32 PM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

really heavy trunk lid
expensive to maintain- costs 3-10x more per part than a typical toyota
navigation could've been 3d even in 2006
interface is dated
the sun visor on the ISC does not extend
massive fender gap on the front wheel at stock
bass extension isn't very low on the stock speakers
drivers side kick panel does not extend low enough- exposed circuitry down there
tpms overly sensitive, and does not indicate which specific tire is low on air

but overall, i absolutely love the car
Old 04-10-18, 05:33 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ed21x
really heavy trunk lid
interface is dated
drivers side kick panel does not extend low enough- exposed circuitry down there

Ehh, I'd disagree on the parts thing. Part prices are fairly in-line with the Camry I had before my IS.

As for TPMS, need to remember the car came out in 06 so there wasn't really anything of the sort back then, iirc anyways. You want that, you have to go with a newer Lexus. The 3IS has it.

Last edited by Zmon; 04-10-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 05:55 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Can i say transmission?
Old 04-10-18, 07:31 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Wish the rear had more leg room and fold down seats... but you know what? all the faults for this car including carbon buildup would be forgiven by me if we had proper rear calipers that don't seize
Old 04-10-18, 10:22 PM
triple7is
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to physical appearance features, I wish the 2is look more balance from the side view. I feel like the front half is "skinnier" compare to the back half. Take for example the ISF, it's bigger front makes the overall body shape balanced. Wish isx50 was more boxy. Maybe its just me. Also car window is little small.
Old 04-11-18, 12:08 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The rear differential is easily the worst "feature" of the car.
Old 04-11-18, 07:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
As for TPMS, need to remember the car came out in 06 so there wasn't really anything of the sort back then, iirc anyways.
I beg to differ. My niece is still driving a hand-me-down '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it displays the individual pressures in each tire, including its position on the truck.
Old 04-11-18, 11:29 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ed21x
really heavy trunk lid
interface is dated

Yea I agree with some of these plus one. 1. No extendable sun visor?? REALLY??? I've seen these on cavaliers lol. 2. No individual readout on the TPMS? ON A LEXUS? My 2011 Chrysler 200 ****bird had that. Was unbelievable. 3. No remote start? Old Chryslers have remote start stock lol. Really? Oh yea and 4. When it's not fully warmed up yet the idle is CRAZY high. No way any car should idle this high during warm up phase. I can beat most cars off the line at a red light by just taking my foot OFF the brake pedal lol. No need for that at all. 5. I can't run my fog lights by themselves. Isn't that the ENTIRE POINT of fog lights????? lol. If it's really foggy out, and my headlights HAVE to be on, I can't see CRAP. I mean NOTHING. Fog lights on or off, if the head lights are on I can't see crap. Totally worthless. No way a car of this caliber should have these deficiencies. Other than that I still love my IS. Wish it was a black 2013 with the Levinson sound system but I'll be ok. Slowing modding it to fit me. Though I'm still not sure how people think these cars don't corner nice. They corner excellently. Not sure what you guys are trying to do in a luxury "sports" sedan but they're not Corvettes nor were they ever intended to being suitable for Nurburgring lol. They're Lexuses guys lol.

Last edited by Buddiiee; 04-11-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 11:49 AM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 12:25 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One damn cup holder smh...

and cv boots that leak when lowered, awd to thank for that ugh
Old 04-11-18, 12:48 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 01:19 PM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 543 Likes on 321 Posts

VDIM. Great in concept, poor in execution (at least for its first iteration on the IS350). Back in 2005 when then IS350 made its debut and was featured on multiple head-to-head magazine reviews, it was the VDIM that sapped the enjoyment from the driver which constantly knocked its overall rating score down a few points.

Due to how intrusive it is, I end up having to turn off traction and stability control every time I start up the car.
Old 04-11-18, 01:23 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
The rear differential is easily the worst "feature" of the car.
Agreed! A "sports sedan" should be equipped with an LSD. SHOULD be industry standard, if using the words "sports sedan"...at least in my mind.

Originally Posted by redspencer
VDIM. Great in concept, poor in execution (at least for its first iteration on the IS350). Back in 2005 when then IS350 made its debut and was featured on multiple head-to-head magazine reviews, it was the VDIM that sapped the enjoyment from the driver which constantly knocked its overall rating score down a few points.

Due to how intrusive it is, I end up having to turn off traction and stability control every time I start up the car.
Totally agree! Needs more "sports sedan", less "luxury sedan" in the suspension electronics tech dept.
Old 04-11-18, 01:36 PM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer

It might be frustrating in places with great year-round weather like FL/CA/TX, but it's a (literal) lifesaver if you're further North (eg. me in the Midwest). The number of times it's saved my bacon in snowy/icy weather...doesn't help that I've a RWD.

My least favorite feature (or lack thereof) is that there's no stock Bluetooth. Seems a little unfortunate for a Luxury sedan, but forgivable considering age of the vehicle.

Last edited by Viru; 04-11-18 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: LEAST favorite feature of the 2is