IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Electrical Issue-Now Weird Things are Happening...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 09:12 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electrical Issue-Now Weird Things are Happening...

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here. Hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far!

So a few weeks ago, my usb to cig lighter adapter failed and blew up...literally. Seconds after, my bluetooth audio device started sparking and spewing smoke.

Now my aux port won't work unless I have my phone plugged and charging in the cig lighter.

I'm hoping it just did some damage to my aux port and replacing it will solve this weird issue. Could it be possible that my radio unit got fried in all of this? Would be an expensive fix
Old 01-03-18, 08:27 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Now my aux port won't work unless I have my phone plugged and charging in the cig lighter.

I'm hoping it just did some damage to my aux port and replacing it will solve this weird issue. Could it be possible that my radio unit got fried in all of this? Would be an expensive fix
Honestly, I'm not sure why plugging your phone into a cig lighter (I assume with a 3rd party USB adapter) would have anything to do with the aux port to the radio. So you had your Bluetooth device in the cig lighter I assume? It blew up and your aux port quite working? If that's the case, check your fuses. Again, I have no idea what your cigarette light has to do with the Aux port, but maybe some wire got toasted under the socket and pushing a charger in gets a connection. And yes, it would be an expensive fix if you have to repair the radio.
Old 01-03-18, 05:55 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Honestly, I'm not sure why plugging your phone into a cig lighter (I assume with a 3rd party USB adapter) would have anything to do with the aux port to the radio. So you had your Bluetooth device in the cig lighter I assume? It blew up and your aux port quite working? If that's the case, check your fuses. Again, I have no idea what your cigarette light has to do with the Aux port, but maybe some wire got toasted under the socket and pushing a charger in gets a connection. And yes, it would be an expensive fix if you have to repair the radio.
I don't have a OEM bluetooth audio system. So I have a BT device that plugs in AUX port and needs to be powered by USB.

I have a Dual USB adapter in the center console. BT device and phone charging cable were both plugged in. Been riding like this for over a year with no issues.

Since the USB adapter and BT device sparked and burned, I had to go back to a conventional AUX cord into the port and my phone. That's when I discovered the head unit would not go into AUX mode unless something was drawing power from the power outlet. I confirmed this by getting a new USB adapter and plugged my phone into it to charge. When phone was charging, head unit would go into AUX mode when AUX cord was connected to phone and AUX port. Pull out the USB cord from the phone, speakers make a pop sound and then head unit switches to Radio.

Something weird is going on...I know...
Old 01-04-18, 05:45 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
I don't have a OEM bluetooth audio system. So I have a BT device that plugs in AUX port and needs to be powered by USB.

I have a Dual USB adapter in the center console. BT device and phone charging cable were both plugged in. Been riding like this for over a year with no issues.

Since the USB adapter and BT device sparked and burned, I had to go back to a conventional AUX cord into the port and my phone. That's when I discovered the head unit would not go into AUX mode unless something was drawing power from the power outlet. I confirmed this by getting a new USB adapter and plugged my phone into it to charge. When phone was charging, head unit would go into AUX mode when AUX cord was connected to phone and AUX port. Pull out the USB cord from the phone, speakers make a pop sound and then head unit switches to Radio.

Something weird is going on...I know...
I think I'm getting the picture now. When you AUX port, you are referring to a mini phono jack like the one in your phone. I was thinking USB like in my '12. When you said cig lighter, I thought you were referring to the cigarette lighter in the ash tray and not the 12V power jack in the center console.
Old 12-31-19, 11:45 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

I have since bought an bluetooth FM transmitter device. The high pitched noise is pretty much gone now but when there is no music or connection, the high pitched noise is there. Definitely an electrical issue going on related to the AUX. Most likely in the radio unit. Anyone have suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this? My plan is to removed the radio unit and inspect the circuit board to look for any obvious damage from the previous sparking I had.
Old 01-01-20, 06:18 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Your getting a lot of back ground noise when plugged in to the aux cord with a Bluetooth device ?
if that’s the case buy a 3.5 filter from amazon. There other threads on it. Once I installed the filter all the noise went away.
Old 01-01-20, 10:11 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Petet
Your getting a lot of back ground noise when plugged in to the aux cord with a Bluetooth device ?
if that’s the case buy a 3.5 filter from amazon. There other threads on it. Once I installed the filter all the noise went away.
I used to have an inline filter but ever since one of my bluetooth devices burned up, the inline filter would blow immediately. I've ran through several and it pops right away which leads me to believe there's a short or ground somewhere.

I'm currently using a FM transmitter bluetooth device and the background noise is barely there anymore but there still is. It sounds like there is some faint white noise coming from the speakers even when the radio is off.