IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AC compressor not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 07:34 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC compressor not turning on

I have an 07 250 and just discovered my AC isnt blowing cold air. I cant seem to hear the compressor kick in either. Drove the car for about 15min to and from dinner tonight. Was wondering if anyone ever had the same issue and can give me some advice? Ive never had to have an AC recharge on any of my cars so i dont know the symptoms. Hopefully this isnt to much of an expensive fix. Thanks
Old 04-30-17, 07:06 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

I also wanted to add i just had the air bag recall done and an adjustment to my dash because a vent was popped out from the dash replacement. My AC button light is coming on though when i press it. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-17, 07:33 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

If the a/c compressor isn't kicking on it is usually due to the pressure sensor, or being too low on refrigerant. It will kill the compressor to run it dry, so the pressure sensor will only allow it to kick on if it the pressure is within the required tolerance. So if the sensor is dead or the pressure seeped out, it will not cycle. Have you popped the hood and physically looked to see if it's coming on? It's in the lower right corner of the engine when facing the engine bay.

It's really hard to say what could be wrong with it without hooking up a manifold to the system and testing the sensor.
The following users liked this post:
Olarewajum (09-09-21)
Old 04-30-17, 08:56 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
If the a/c compressor isn't kicking on it is usually due to the pressure sensor, or being too low on refrigerant. It will kill the compressor to run it dry, so the pressure sensor will only allow it to kick on if it the pressure is within the required tolerance. So if the sensor is dead or the pressure seeped out, it will not cycle. Have you popped the hood and physically looked to see if it's coming on? It's in the lower right corner of the engine when facing the engine bay.

It's really hard to say what could be wrong with it without hooking up a manifold to the system and testing the sensor.
No i have not looked to see if it was coming on but i have been playing with the AC button in the car while the door is open and i do not hear it kick in. Also i did notice that my coolant is about an inch below the full line. That wouldnt be the issue would it? Im going to fill it up later
Old 04-30-17, 09:28 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
I also wanted to add i just had the air bag recall done and an adjustment to my dash because a vent was popped out from the dash replacement. My AC button light is coming on though when i press it. Any ideas?
Was it working prior to the airbag recall? The old airbag procedure was to remove the dash, while the new one is to, supposedly, go through the glovebox. Always possible something got left disconnected.
Old 04-30-17, 09:55 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

With that being said, couldnt he just get a can of refrigerant and shoot it into the system? If the system is low and the sensor isnt letting it cycle maybe this will enable it to work. The cost if probably $30 or so. Probably the cheapest potential fix he could do.
Old 04-30-17, 11:34 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
Was it working prior to the airbag recall? The old airbag procedure was to remove the dash, while the new one is to, supposedly, go through the glovebox. Always possible something got left disconnected.
Not sure wish i knew. First time using the AC this season. Im going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask them what the air bag repair process was.
Old 04-30-17, 04:44 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Just popped the hood and checked. If that fan is suppose to be turning its not
Old 05-01-17, 05:20 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by flynryan
With that being said, couldnt he just get a can of refrigerant and shoot it into the system? If the system is low and the sensor isnt letting it cycle maybe this will enable it to work. The cost if probably $30 or so. Probably the cheapest potential fix he could do.
Cheapest, maybe, but certainly not the right way to do it. If his refrigerant is indeed low, the correct thing to do is to find and fix the leak, then use a vacuum pump to remove all of the air and moisture from the system, and only then recharge it.
Old 05-01-17, 10:18 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Bichon.
When I had a/c problem, everything inside looks normal except no cold air.
Did a leak check and compressor is seized and leaking from shaft seal.
Replaced myself and charged at a shop and all is good.
Old 05-01-17, 06:54 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by flynryan
You could try. Problem with that is, if that's not the issue then you only make the situation worse. Those cans only hook up to the low side so without a manifold to read the high side pressures, you really don't know where you stand on the issue. You're just throwing something at it and hoping for the best. Overcharging it will also cause it's own set of problems, and without a high side gauge you are merely guessing.

Best case scenario is that if that does "fix" it, it will just eventually leak back out and you'll be right back where you started.
Old 07-17-18, 12:38 AM
PalmTreez
Driver School Candidate

----(SOLUTION) —— I posted this in another thread but i thought it would help in this one too.
My Lexus IS250 2007 did the same thing. My AC compressor was cycling on and off. It got hot outside (95F) and it would only turn on a few seconds (about 5 sec) at 20 second intervals and would eventually stop cycling.

Solution (how i fixed the problem):
-when I checked my freon pressure was in the red (high pressure).
-I recovered freon from the low pressure valve to decrease the pressure.
-Did this until the compressor stayed on.Then made sure it stayed in the green.

Last edited by PalmTreez; 07-17-18 at 05:05 PM. Reason: worded the steps incorrectly
Old 07-17-18, 12:57 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

^^ One has to wonder how it got "over charged" to begin with. It didn't do it to itself!

If you're going to dabble, buy a proper gauge set and set the pressures per the ambient temperature pressure chart for high/low side pressures.

If using a new gauge set be wise and purge the air from those new hoses or they take the moisture and air suck it right into your system which degrades your charge!
Old 07-17-18, 05:08 PM
PalmTreez
Driver School Candidate

The next day my compressor stayed on for about 10 min then started to blow hot air. I may have a leak in my system. Going to try to find out where the leak is. May have bumped my AC line (next to the alternator) and air may be getting into my system. Will update when problem is solved!
Old 07-17-18, 05:15 PM
PalmTreez
Driver School Candidate

It probably got overcharged with "air" god knows I didn't do that. Haven't touched my AC system in 4 years and never had an issue with it.

Quick Reply: AC compressor not turning on