IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering ECU questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 07:24 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Steering ECU questions

Ok, I'm lost. I was looking for some mods to do that could maybe change the steering feel on this car and keep running across this F steering ecu thing, but what I'm gathering is that it STIFFENS the steering. Is this really what I'm understanding?? Why in the holy **** would you EVER want to STIFFEN your steering?!?!?!?!?! lol. We've poured COUNTLESS hours since the 1960's to develop power steering and you want your steering even STIFFER???? I think I'm missing something because out of all my cars this new Lexuses steering is REALLLLYY stiff; you'd want it HARDER????? So you want to literally undo over 65 years of automotive engineering progress? I still think I'm missing something lol.
If I'm actually interpreting all of these "F" steering ECU mod threads correctly, then can someone suggest any mods to go in the total opposite direction and UPDATE my factory steering to something even lighter please? I feel like I'm driving a 58 Buick with 13psi in the tires lol.
Old 04-04-17, 08:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I've never driven a '58 Buick with 13 PSI in the tires; but I have gotten behind the wheel of a '68 Lincoln Continental, and can report that the steering effort was insanely light. As it was in a '72 Olds Custom Cruiser and a '76 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, two other vintage cars I've driven. Light as in I have no idea how fast I can go through this curve, because I have about as much steering feel as I do playing an arcade driving game.

A modern power steering system has variable assist, so that effort is light enough at low speeds to park effortlessly, but firms up for better road feel as speed increases. If that's not what you are experiencing, perhaps yours needs repair.
Old 04-04-17, 09:30 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You are pretty much correct, plenty of people do not like how light the steering is on these cars. Mainly because the steering feels artificially light and provides very little, if any, communication and feedback to what is actually going on between the road, the tire and the steering wheel. It's not necessarily about making it heavier as much as it is about poor communication. Being a sports sedan, plenty of people would rather have a better feel for what is actually happening in the front end during spirited driving which gives you better control instead of an overly assisted, diluted, numb feel with little feedback.

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-04-17 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-04-17, 09:30 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Before I did the ECU upgrade I'd feel the steering wheel was too light. Almost like the steering was going to slip out of my hands at high speeds. With the ECU upgrade 08-10 it's stiff enough. So my question is how the heck do the IS-F owners complain about it being too soft?
Old 04-05-17, 08:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I think the OP needs to read this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...ws&date=040517

Lou