IS350 Audio Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 06:13 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
Default IS350 Audio Install

Hey all,

Long time lurker, but this is my first real thread. First off, shouts to everyone for maintaining such a productive and welcoming community. I've been a member in a few less than enjoyable forums in the past, so to buy a 2is and find this place in all its glory was quite a treat.

I haven't quite introduced my car yet so naturally there's a lot to discuss, but for the sake of keeping my thread on-topic I'll just be talking audio.

I digress, more about the whip.

My car has Nav w/ ML and let's just say I'm rather unsatisfied with both options. To remedy the problem, I've enlisted the help of some aftermarket goodies. Phase 1 is as follows:

Pioneer AppRadio 4 w/CarPlay
Bypass
BeatSonic MVX-140L 2-DIN installation kit
Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control module
USB/AUX/HDMI extensions
Stinger wiring
Zenclosures 2 x 12" recessed sub enclosure
MTX Audio subs and amp (interim)

Now, I'm a fan of clean, organized and minimally invasive installations so I prefer to do the job myself. This isn't my first rodeo, but it is rather involved compared to my previous installs.

The BeatSonic kit is hugely convenient for me because I can revert back to factory at any time. It also allows me a plug and play solution which I find exciting. It is quite pricey, and I think we can all agree that the low mounting position is less than ideal, but all in all I'm happy with the purchase.

The Axxess harness works seamlessly with the BeatSonic piece, mix that up with CarPlay and I've got the luxury of updating the horrible factory voice recognition by way of Siri. Bonus.

Thanks to some super useful CL threads, installing the wiring for the amp will be a breeze. I will be running extensions for 2 USB ports, AUX for the Pioneer unit, and HDMI in. I scooped these handy pieces that replace the cigarette lighter wells and end up looking like factory ports. I've installed my gain **** in a blank beside my rear shade button, also looks factory.

If I had one question, I'd have to ask does anyone know how both lighter assemblies can be removed with little to no modification? I've searched and searched but as far as I can tell nobody has done this in their 2is.

I'll post photos and updates as soon as I begin. Just got out of surgery so It'll take me a week or two to be able to do this install. If anyone has any input or advice I'm all ears!

Phase 2:

New 12" subs and amp
Aftermarket speakers all around
Remove factory sub to port into the cabin
Stealth front camera
BAGS!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post, I appreciate you all

P.S. Victoria, BC local. If anyone is near, hmu let's organize a meet!

Last edited by Grizsk; 10-15-16 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 10:02 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't know much about aftermarket audio installs. Regarding the lighter assemblies, if you're talking about removal, there are information here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...le-moving.html. You can disassemble it to some extend and end up with a tray only. I did it about 3 years ago to put some USB cables through that so I can't remember all the details. I end up putting the lighter back in the tray because I couldn't route cables through them (maybe a piece couldn't be removed), and I cut a small hole for the cables. I have the impression that it was tricky to assemble the lighter back into one piece.
Old 10-16-16, 11:31 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Thanks for the info, I can't believe I've never seen that thread! I'll be performing that little DIY as part of my install now.
Old 10-23-16, 03:11 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad got that AWSC to work. It is a royal POS. I always use something from PAC if there is an option. I'll basically be doing this exact same sort of install shortly. I have a Kenwood Double Din to install, with back up camera, Sirius, ipod, etc. I also have a brand new JL HD900/5 amp sitting around, so figure I should go ahead and replace the stock amp and do some replacement speakers. Haven't even looked into where to start for that yet though.

I'm all the way over in Alberta. Head down to Mission once in awhile where some of my family live. I don't hate myself enough to want to cross over to that island ever though. lol.
Old 10-24-16, 12:57 AM
Grizsk
Driver

The ASWC sort of works for me, my Group A buttons work flawlessly, but it won't route my Group B buttons through my new head unit.

Sounds like a solid install, do you plan on using the BeatSonic kit? I installed my 2 x 12" subs in the Zenclosures sealed box fitted for the 2IS and it sounds perfect, I couldn't ask for more. It sounds so good, that part of me is leaning towards putting off the speaker/amp upgrade. I can live with my system now that I have a decent 13 band EQ to work with!

I highly suggest someting compatible with Siri. My HU has CarPlay and I'm so so so happy to have ditched that old poor quality voice control on the stock nav. How's the Alberta scene? I think I have the only 2IS350 in Victoria haha
Old 10-24-16, 03:15 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizsk
The ASWC sort of works for me, my Group A buttons work flawlessly, but it won't route my Group B buttons through my new head unit.

Sounds like a solid install, do you plan on using the BeatSonic kit? I installed my 2 x 12" subs in the Zenclosures sealed box fitted for the 2IS and it sounds perfect, I couldn't ask for more. It sounds so good, that part of me is leaning towards putting off the speaker/amp upgrade. I can live with my system now that I have a decent 13 band EQ to work with!

I highly suggest someting compatible with Siri. My HU has CarPlay and I'm so so so happy to have ditched that old poor quality voice control on the stock nav. How's the Alberta scene? I think I have the only 2IS350 in Victoria haha

I just ordered the beatsonic kit yesterday after I picked the car up. Nice job on the subs. I have an old 10" in a premade box sitting in my closet, so just going to install that. I don't need anything crazy anymore, but a little extra thump is nice.

I don't care much about Siri or carplay or whatever. Just as long as I have NAV, BT, Sirius, and Ipod connection through the system that I can control with the steering wheel controls. Same deal with the Double Din, I already have a unit laying around from an old car I sold long time ago. I think it is the Kenwood 570HD, but honestly can't remember off the top of my head. I know it does what I need it to.

Alberta Scene? Hard to say. 780Tuners has weekly meets, but I avoid those. It's a lot of kids with beat up JDM cars driving like fools. Not exactly a place I feel comfortable showing up to park my Viper. I'm the event co-ordinator for the Western Canada region of the Viper Owners Association. So I generally have my car fun out of town. I'll be down in BC quite a bit next summer, but mainly in the Okanagan.
Old 02-20-17, 08:27 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any pictures please? Seems a lot of work!!
Old 04-10-17, 09:25 PM
xman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 04-12-17, 09:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes pics would be absolutely great!
Old 04-12-17, 06:01 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xman
Pics or it didn't happen.
second that.
Old 04-12-17, 06:45 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Haven't had much time to post.. I have some install pics and a few of the finished product. I'll need to charge my old phone or take new pics of the head unit installed when I get a chance.

Btw it totally happened.

BeatSonic Harness
BeatSonic Harness
Console Removal
Electronics Removal
Rear Console Removal
Rear Console Removal
Rear Console Removal
Console Removal
Clean Install (Alongside Factory Harness)
SFP
285/25ZR20
Partial of Head Unit Installed
Booms

Lil Mod

Last edited by Grizsk; 04-12-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 09:25 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Install looking really nice. Where did you ground the radio? The beat sonic harness calls for a ground. I need to ground mine properly. Thanks.
Old 04-12-17, 09:31 PM
Grizsk
Driver

There's not much in there as far as groundability. I don't honestly recall, I either found a super slick spot or got lazy and connected it to the factory bracket in hopes that it eventually ends up where it needs to go 😬
Old 04-13-17, 08:39 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Thanks, I have no audio atm. I remove everything and in the process of building an amp rack along with everything else. I really like how clean that sub box fit. Hope I can build one that fits just as perfect for my sub. I'll post up a build log once I'm done.
Old 04-13-17, 08:52 PM
Grizsk
Driver

I used the Zenclosures box, kinda pricey being heavy and shipped from Florida to BC but immaculate results.

Quick Reply: IS350 Audio Install