IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS220D Fuel pump question (non-starter)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 03:11 PM
JP83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS220D Fuel pump question (non-starter)

Hi, I have an is220D (07) non-stater at the moment, car just died less than a mile from home and wont start since.

The issue is fuel related, I have accessed the in tank fuel pump and with a test light I can confirm the fuel pump works when using the priming function with the satellite switch, with a good flow to the high pressure pump. However the in tank pump is not energized when you initially turn on the ignition or while cranking, I have checked all fuses and relays and nothing appears to be blown.

My question, is there any sensor etc. that could be faulty that would prevent the ecu from powering the pump while cranking? I have not fully checked wiring but with the priming function working I am confident it should be good.

All and any suggestions welcome at this stage.

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-07-16, 11:43 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just a suggestion which may or may not work. when i changed my fuel pump, even though the pump worked ( initial pump/prime when putting the car in acc mode ) you can hear it prime for a second or so.

What i did was hook up the fuel pump to a car battery and ran the pump for a few seconds and then started the car, ( this made sure fuel was still being pumped. ). this started the car and then i turned the car off. i rehooked the fuel pump to the car and everything started up fine.

just a suggestion and may or may not be the fix.
Old 07-08-16, 02:54 AM
JP83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
just a suggestion which may or may not work. when i changed my fuel pump, even though the pump worked ( initial pump/prime when putting the car in acc mode ) you can hear it prime for a second or so.

What i did was hook up the fuel pump to a car battery and ran the pump for a few seconds and then started the car, ( this made sure fuel was still being pumped. ). this started the car and then i turned the car off. i rehooked the fuel pump to the car and everything started up fine.

just a suggestion and may or may not be the fix.
Thanks for the reply. My issue is slightly different though. What I have done now is disconnect the fuel line before the high pressure pump. When I use the priming function I get a good flow of fuel. There is no power to the pump with key on or with cranking.

I ran 12v direct to the pump and even though it noises it doesn't send amy fuel to the engine bay. But if I remove the hose from the tank pump the 12v is pumping out of the tank. I'm at a loss here. Lexus technician reckons is an injector by I still don't see why my direct 12v supply won't pump to the engine?