IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cabin filter air flow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 07:20 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabin filter air flow?

Does anyone know the direction of air flow where your cabin filer goes? Does the air come in through the top and flow down? Or is the flow under the fitler where the fan spins, come up and out? I bought a Wix cabin filter on amazon and after reading the reviews there is a discrepency of which way to install it. Here is the review in question, its for ES 350 though

This is just to save everyone a headache or a mis-installation. On the OEM filters, there is an arrow indicating the orientation of the air filter in the slot. I.e. "UP" with an up arrow.

The Wix filter has an arrow, but nothing indicates in the directions or on the filter whether it indicated orientation, or the direction of airflow. Big issue!

I called Wix and the initial tech support couldn't figure it out. I was put in touch with a product manager and she told me the arrow indicates AIRFLOW. This is very important. On a Lexus ES 350 or Toyota Camry for example, the directions included were basically for the OEM filter, which would result in putting this filter in upside-down.

So, make sure to understand which direction the air is flowing. In the 2008 Lexus ES 350 and Camry, for example, air flows top to bottom and thus on this Wix filter the arrow should point DOWN, whereas on the OEM filter it would point up.

The filter itself seems like an excellent product, but the installation instructions are misleading. I wonder how many of these things are out there installed incorrectly- probably plenty.

If Wix had better directions, this would be a 5-star. Great price for a replacement cabin air-filter, and the technology is solid in terms of charcoal activation, odor removal, mold/pollen removal, etc. I've only had it installed for a day, so haven't really tested this thoroughly yet, but it seems to be working great and the air in the vehicle seems a good bit fresher (the filter I replaced was pretty old, so this is a big improvement).
Old 06-27-16, 07:39 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The air flows down but the arrow on the factory filters indicates which direction faces up - makes perfect sense, right? And matters are complicated by aftermarket filters using the conventional arrow indicating the direction of air flow through the filter.

Dave Mac
Old 06-30-16, 09:29 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
The air flows down but the arrow on the factory filters indicates which direction faces up - makes perfect sense, right? And matters are complicated by aftermarket filters using the conventional arrow indicating the direction of air flow through the filter.

Dave Mac
Wait, really? The arrow should point up? Crap.
Old 07-01-16, 06:15 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
Wait, really? The arrow should point up? Crap.
lol youre confusing me. What filter do you have? If its a WIX off amazon it should point down.
Old 07-01-16, 06:33 AM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
lol youre confusing me. What filter do you have? If its a WIX off amazon it should point down.
By the sounds of what everyone is describing, if you are using the Toyota/Lexus Stock Cabin air filter, then the arrow should point up. (Lexus's Arrow is there to tell you installation orientation of the filter when being installed, which is up towards the dashboard.)

If you are using an aftermarket cabin filter (Wix, Mann, etc....) it will likely need to point down. (Aftermarket vendors typically put the arrow on the filter to tell you the Air Flow Direction which is down on these vehicles)

It is a bit confusing but hopefully this clears it up for some people.
Old 07-01-16, 08:38 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I've never yet seen a cabin filter where the arrow printed on it wasn't clearly labelled as either "up" or "air flow".
Old 07-01-16, 09:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I completely agree with the above statement. Decent Cabin Filters do state either AIR FLOW direction or UP direction.

However I have seen filters (not necessarily cabin type) where it looks universal and can be flipped either way (mainly Engine Air Filters).
Old 11-16-16, 08:12 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Arrow points the direction of air flow like filters on a furnace at home. Air flows down from cowl into cabin.
Old 11-16-16, 10:29 AM
RussZTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my car for almost 2 years now. Replaced with Wix filter and still get smells from outside. Anytime I drive through smoke, behind a car or diesel truck, I instantly smell it. I got to where I just turn my AC off when I am approaching anything. Yes, this is with the inside recalculation on.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 11-16-16, 12:06 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RussZTT
Had my car for almost 2 years now. Replaced with Wix filter and still get smells from outside. Anytime I drive through smoke, behind a car or diesel truck, I instantly smell it. I got to where I just turn my AC off when I am approaching anything. Yes, this is with the inside recalculation on.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Charcoal embedded filter takes care of smell. not ordinary filter which only takes care of trapping pollens and dirt/dust.
Old 11-28-16, 09:35 AM
RussZTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Htony
Charcoal embedded filter takes care of smell. not ordinary filter which only takes care of trapping pollens and dirt/dust.
Unfortunately, it didn't take care of the smell for me.
Old 11-28-16, 11:13 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you check your recirculated arm still work? The reason I ask cause some people replace the filter without putting it down in recirculated mode and broke the control arm. If the arm was broken, the door couldn't be close that is why you smell out side elements with recirculated mode when you using AC
Old 11-30-16, 08:58 AM
RussZTT
Driver

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Did you check your recirculated arm still work? The reason I ask cause some people replace the filter without putting it down in recirculated mode and broke the control arm. If the arm was broken, the door couldn't be close that is why you smell out side elements with recirculated mode when you using AC
Yes, it still works.
Old 12-03-16, 10:19 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am looking to replace my cabin air filter online but cannot find the toyota part#. Does anyone have it? thanks!
Old 12-03-16, 01:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^87139-07010

Look Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ce-please.html

Post #6

Lou

Quick Reply: Cabin filter air flow?