IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vibrations -mechanic needed!

Old 05-30-16, 04:46 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Vibrations -mechanic needed!

Alright so here is the backstory, my 2012 awd 350 has been vibrating on the highway anytime I go over 65 mph. The vibration itself is similar to a unbalanced tire, but, it is not primarily in the seat or the steering wheel, it really is just through the whole car. My father is a mechanic but does not want to do any experimenting to it since it is under warranty.

I have had my car in at the dealership about 6 times this month for the vibration, service techs have driven it and said there definitely is a vibration. They advised me to resurface my warped brake rotors. This didn't really seem like a solution since it wasn't while braking, but it was free so I did it. Then I went back and said it was still the same, then they balanced my tires.. No change. Again I went back and they found 2 bent rims on my front tires, they straightened them and rebalanced the tires.. No change. I Got in touch with the manager who I had dealt with a while back, assured me if I brought it back in, they would swap different wheels on and go for a test drive. When I went back, they sent me on my way, no test drive. They said they balanced my tires again, but admitted the vibration is still there.

So, does this sound odd to you that only thing they are doing is balancing the tires when it clearly is not the issue? What are some other potential causes, my father believes something in the drivetrain? Also, my warranty expires in about 2500 miles and October, what are the chances this is costly issue (one of the techs asked when my warranty expired and I can't figure out why)?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-16, 06:24 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

have they bothered to look at the drive shafts or axels? perhaps those rotating assemblies are causing the vibration or possibly an engine or tranny mount.
Old 05-30-16, 07:49 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It may depend on how long you were driving with bent rims. Driving on 2 bent rims could damage the hubs fairly quickly, if the rim is bent by the center bore. Test if the hub is good by jacking up on wheel, then lightly pull it forwards then backwards. It shouldn't have any play. If it does, your hub is damaged.

On another note, I knew a guy that had a GS400. He had a buddy that worked at the tire shop. Being his buddy, while he was rotating/balancing the wheels he slapped a good 36 ounces of wheel weights onto the driveshaft. He took a bit to find out what was causing the vibration...
Old 05-30-16, 08:31 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would bring it back to the dealer and leave it there till they figure it out. It's still under warranty so I wouldn't even touch it. Swapping wheels would be a good place for them to start.

There was a member on here who had a similar issue on his F. Turned out to be a bad tire.
Old 05-30-16, 11:00 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Seeing how many members end up posting up about their half shafts leaking or making noise, I'd start there. But like was mentioned, the bent wheels "could" cause additional damage to the hubs, but not too likely on such a new vehicle.
Old 05-30-16, 01:21 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
I would bring it back to the dealer and leave it there till they figure it out. It's still under warranty so I wouldn't even touch it. Swapping wheels would be a good place for them to start.

There was a member on here who had a similar issue on his F. Turned out to be a bad tire.
I'm with J3ff man, leave the car there and grab one of their rentals. There's no reason they should be handing it back over without resolution. Let them figure it out.
Old 05-30-16, 04:44 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Thanks for the insight and advise, at this stage would this remain a dealership issue or should I contact corporate with the recent track record of the dealership
Old 05-30-16, 04:55 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MAizz
Thanks for the insight and advise, at this stage would this remain a dealership issue or should I contact corporate with the recent track record of the dealership
Well I think it's strange that they've acknowledged the vibration is still present and still sent you along. I'd bring it back one more time and would tell them to find a resolution otherwise you'll contact corporate. I'd also make clear that you've visited the dealership far too many times already for the same issue. It's really up to them to find the cause and fix it since it's under warranty. The last thing you want is for this to drag on past warranty; after that it gets messy. Good luck!
Old 05-30-16, 06:29 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have back up car? Don't drive it over 2500 miles until it's fixed.
Old 05-30-16, 06:52 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MWIS350
You have back up car? Don't drive it over 2500 miles until it's fixed.
I don't but I walk to work, the time will expire before the mileage. I will update soon
Old 05-31-16, 04:46 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you had the car there 6 times already. Speak to the head of service and tell them you want a factory rep come out and look at the car. By now they should have had their best tech on it. Being its still not fixed is telling me the issue is beyond their comprehension. Or they need to start thinking outside of the box. I also would call corporate already. Im a service tech myself, not on cars though. This is unacceptable

Last edited by flektone; 05-31-16 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 07:25 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

So just an update, tried to get in touch with the manager this morning, left a voicemail. Got a call back about 7 hours later with no voicemail, immediately called back and no answer/response, I'm assuming they left for the day. Immediately called corporate and started a dispute/complaint and had it listed under warranty. Waiting to hear back either tomorrow or the day after.. Seems like they are making little to no effort. Also the total count is 9 trips for this instance since I went to a different dealership a few times. This is the same dealership that took about 5-6 trips to get the bubbling headlight TSB correct, I even went in there with the TSB for them.
Old 06-01-16, 02:08 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Hope Corporate can help you get your car setup right and quick.
Old 06-01-16, 02:49 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I work at a Lexus dealer, and our dealer wouldn't let the vehicle leave until you are 100% satisfied with the vibration, especially after the problem is still present after the fist visit.

My suggestion, get involved with the service manager(as you have begun to do), and ride with someone (manager/foreman/tech) to make sure that the issue is 100% solved before you leave the dealer. If they don't fix it, bomb them on the survey, that way it will make it higher to someone who will be willing to help.
Old 06-03-16, 03:58 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Update

Talked to a corporate case manager.. She said they cannot do anything without me going back to the dealership and going for a road test. I asked why I have to go back and do another test when we already have done that multiple times, she insisted they could not do anything at this time. My concern is going on a road test they will say they don't feel anything beyond normal. Any advise? I'm waiting to hear back from the manager now.

On a side note, my neighbor is a Toyota mechanic, he said he used to work in a Lexus service center and would recommend new tires, say your rims are bent and then say tires again before actually investigating to make money.. May not be true but he seemed to know my story before I told him.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibrations -mechanic needed!