IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Not another Springs question. H&R, F-sport, Swift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 10:28 AM
booey23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not another Springs question. H&R, F-sport, Swift?

Fellow Clublexus IS people!

Wanted a quick and easy response, so I recently had to get rid of my D2 Coils because of how stiff and bouncy it was. It provided a great drop but didn't deliver me the firm, comfortable, and smooth ride that I was looking for. So i'm in the market for some springs and I'm looking for a small drop like 1" all around or somewhere around there. I heard that the F-sports and Swift drop around that height while the H&R Drops more (Which i kinda like the drop). My question is, with these springs, Which of the 3 (If any else) can give me the smooth, comfortable, and NOT BOUNCY ride? I don't mind abit more stiff but I want to keep that Lexus OEM ride at the same time lower and ride comfortably. Also, please list of the pro and cons! THANKS!
Old 05-12-16, 01:07 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

hey dude.. i can't help ya cuz i'm in same boat, but please try to remember to hit me back when u make a change letting me know what you bought and how the ride is.. i gotta get shocks in my ride, stat... it rides like a dogs *** right now.
Old 05-12-16, 01:14 PM
Itsdub
Driver School Candidate

I had a set of H&R springs on my old IS300 paired with some koni shocks and the ride was great. Not bumpy and not overly stiff. Loved how it rose. Not sure how much difference it would make on an ISx50, but just my experience
Old 05-12-16, 01:32 PM
02camryle
Rookie

d2 coils dampening cant adjust?
Old 05-12-16, 02:01 PM
booey23
Rookie

Originally Posted by 02camryle
d2 coils dampening cant adjust?
The D2's i can adjust them but no matter which way i went, it was very bouncy. It was smooth but every small hump or uneven road, i would make a small bounce and i wanted to keep a smooth and firm ride I am currently leaning towards the F-sport or Swift springs, but people are recommending the H&Rs. Just need 2nd opinions on them, I just oem like ride that doesnt have a bouncy to it. My last cars i had all had springs and never let me down, but my 2 exp with coils have been nothing but a disappoint. Low life ain't for me haha.
Old 05-12-16, 11:08 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer your question, ive heard good things about the H&R springs. Both for the drop it provides and not much change in ride comfort ( I think). It was the choice I was going for until a local fellow IS350 owner convinced me to get coils instead. So I saved up and saved up and got myself a nice set of BC Coils

I dont regret buying the coils one bit. I have my car lowered to have virtually no gap at all and I love it. Yeah the ride is stiff but hey I have it fully dampened to stiff anyway so thats to be expected lol. That being sad, when I first has them installed my car sat higher than it is now. About a 2 finger gap up front, 1 finger rear. And with the settings set to a soft setting my car felt like stock to me honestly. All that with the benefit of knowing I can adjust my height whenever I feel like it makes getting Coilovers the better option every time. No question about it.

So basically to sum it all up , I recommend just getting some BC's as they are very decent coils for the money ($1k). Or getting the H&R springs if your 100% sure you dont want or care for the benefits of coils. However Ive never personally ridden in an IS with just those springs on so I cant say for sure how they are, just telling you what I remember from the top of my head when I was researching the same question. Good luck my friend!
Old 05-12-16, 11:16 PM
booey23
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tro209
To answer your question, ive heard good things about the H&R springs. Both for the drop it provides and not much change in ride comfort ( I think). It was the choice I was going for until a local fellow IS350 owner convinced me to get coils instead. So I saved up and saved up and got myself a nice set of BC Coils

I dont regret buying the coils one bit. I have my car lowered to have virtually no gap at all and I love it. Yeah the ride is stiff but hey I have it fully dampened to stiff anyway so thats to be expected lol. That being sad, when I first has them installed my car sat higher than it is now. About a 2 finger gap up front, 1 finger rear. And with the settings set to a soft setting my car felt like stock to me honestly. All that with the benefit of knowing I can adjust my height whenever I feel like it makes getting Coilovers the better option every time. No question about it.

So basically to sum it all up , I recommend just getting some BC's as they are very decent coils for the money ($1k). Or getting the H&R springs if your 100% sure you dont want or care for the benefits of coils. However Ive never personally ridden in an IS with just those springs on so I cant say for sure how they are, just telling you what I remember from the top of my head when I was researching the same question. Good luck my friend!

Yeah, I originally was going to save up for BC coils but I found a good deal that was too good to pass so i bought D2s. Yeah i love that i can adjust the height and dampening but the ride was tooooooo bouncy. Most of the people who have all sorts of coils told me that its normal for coils to have some bounce and from what i'm asking (firm, smooth, and comfortable) they told me to just stick to springs so i sold my coils.
Many have told me to get H&Rs but i am looking for more opinions on them, I basically don't want any bounciness. I've had eibachs in the past and they're the best but i want a more even drop or less drop. Eibachs i love them but sometimes i feel they drop more than advertised so i want to try something else.
My debate now is still swift, f-sport, and H&R. So far, no clue what i want, the H&Rs have the best drop of the 3 but i want to know if it bounces, im planning on changing my struts/shocks to KYBs for more comfort on either springs. So its more like which should I get.
Old 05-12-16, 11:24 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by booey23
Yeah, I originally was going to save up for BC coils but I found a good deal that was too good to pass so i bought D2s. Yeah i love that i can adjust the height and dampening but the ride was tooooooo bouncy. Most of the people who have all sorts of coils told me that its normal for coils to have some bounce and from what i'm asking (firm, smooth, and comfortable) they told me to just stick to springs so i sold my coils.
Many have told me to get H&Rs but i am looking for more opinions on them, I basically don't want any bounciness. I've had eibachs in the past and they're the best but i want a more even drop or less drop. Eibachs i love them but sometimes i feel they drop more than advertised so i want to try something else.
My debate now is still swift, f-sport, and H&R. So far, no clue what i want, the H&Rs have the best drop of the 3 but i want to know if it bounces, im planning on changing my struts/shocks to KYBs for more comfort on either springs. So its more like which should I get.
Hmmm yeah there is bounce still with the BC's but with the softer setting its definitely a comfortable ride. But I guess if you really hate bouncing, then maybe you should just get springs then (if that really even does eliminate that trait). Ive also heard of people getting different spring rates on BC's Coils for a stiffer ride, which id imagine has less bounce than with the standard springs that I have. BUT then again, you'd probably lose the softness Id imagine...

Hmm.. maybe some one else with more knowledge in this area can chime in. Since im not completely sure on what spring rates and all that stuff do to be honest.

Also are you open to the idea of saving up for a nice set of coils or are you dead set on springs?
Old 05-12-16, 11:24 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any comments on springs for awd? f-sport springs with stock shocks?
Old 05-14-16, 10:27 AM
booey23
Rookie

Anyone else?
Old 05-14-16, 01:10 PM
top5
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an OEM ride youd have to choose F sport.

When I used to use springs in my accord I had teins. Closest thing to OEM. I have also run H&R in a rsx.. little bumpy.
Old 05-14-16, 03:27 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I had f sport springs and shocks on an 08 IS250 AWD and absolutely loved the ride

I now have a 10' IS350 that has f sport springs on stock shocks installed by the previous owner and this setup has treated me well so far. I'm gonna purchase f sport shocks eventually to complete the setup.
Old 05-14-16, 03:31 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
I had f sport springs and shocks on an 08 IS250 AWD and absolutely loved the ride

I now have a 10' IS350 that has f sport springs on stock shocks installed by the previous owner and this setup has treated me well so far. I'm gonna purchase f sport shocks eventually to complete the setup.

Not the best pic.. but this was my 08 awd on f sport springs and shocks
Old 05-14-16, 10:49 PM
gt500tony
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by booey23
Fellow Clublexus IS people!

Wanted a quick and easy response, so I recently had to get rid of my D2 Coils because of how stiff and bouncy it was. It provided a great drop but didn't deliver me the firm, comfortable, and smooth ride that I was looking for. So i'm in the market for some springs and I'm looking for a small drop like 1" all around or somewhere around there. I heard that the F-sports and Swift drop around that height while the H&R Drops more (Which i kinda like the drop). My question is, with these springs, Which of the 3 (If any else) can give me the smooth, comfortable, and NOT BOUNCY ride? I don't mind abit more stiff but I want to keep that Lexus OEM ride at the same time lower and ride comfortably. Also, please list of the pro and cons! THANKS!

If the coilovers weren't for you hands down go f sport.
Old 05-15-16, 10:44 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

HKS hipermax gt iv coilovers. ive read many good reviews. theres also a member on here that runs them on his 2IS. Great quality and a very smooth ride is the consensus.