IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS350 Gentex Frameless 50-GENK80A Rearview Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 03:10 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 IS350 Gentex Frameless 50-GENK80A Rearview Install

I have been posting in another thread and it's buried an getting no love so I thought a fresh thread might get the villagers to notice. I could really use some help.

I have a 2008 IS350 and the factory mirror needs to be replaced.

Original mirror is out and I see a white harness coming out of headliner with FIVE wires (SEE PICTURE). Wires are PINK BLACK RED ORANGE BLK/WHITE

I have been Googling and found what I think is the right diagram but I am not certain.

I want to think the diagram attached and my photo correspond in that the diagram listing P W-B B near "garage door opener" correspond to my P W/B and B in harness. Same for the R and O at the other side which goes to EC+ and EC- which look to go to the side mirrors.

QUESTION. Am I on the right track and do I now need to find out which wires on the Gentex 50-GENK80A will match up? I have no problem cutting off the white clip that came with the factory mirror and soldering/heat shrinking the Gentex wires onto the Lexus clip.

NO DEALER WILL ASSIST, AT ALL.

The following users liked this post:
firelikeiy (01-16-20)
Old 04-18-16, 03:34 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

And here is link to the GENTEX manual for the mirror

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...xuniversal.pdf

Page 5 has the main pin outs but I'm not seeing EC+ and EC-
Old 04-19-16, 09:12 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

LOL. Well, I'm glad I didn't sit around waiting for replies. =)

For posterity and "future helping" anyone else looking to do this, I got it to work.

This would cover any 2008 IS350 with the stock factory mirror that has the 3 Homelink buttons and the auto button on it. My mirror looked bad and had old version of Homelink so I bought the new Gentex Frameless with HomelinkV5 and the auto dim. I bought the one without compass for $249, the one with compass is $349 which I didn't wanna chuck cash on. The wiring is the same for compass vs. non compass version.

Those new frameless Gentex do NOT have EC+ and EC- so I only used 3 wires as opposed to 5. This means the mirror will not send auto dim signal to the side mirrors which is fine with me. If you must have that feature, these bad *** frameless Gentex do not do it, but the "framed" ones will.

I left the male clip coming out of the headliner undisturbed just as you see in the picture and then I cut the female plug off of the factory mirror. From the clip that I cut off I heat shrunk the EC+ separately and EC- separately and then heat shrunk them together tucked them to the backside of clip/out of the circuit.

I don't have my master translation sheet here, but needless to say the colors coming out of the headliner harness are different from the colors that came out of the old factory mirror.

I mapped the P for PINK (battery/constant 12V), W/B for WHITE/BLACK (earth/ground) and B for BROWN (switched 12V) from the headliner clip to the colors that they came out of the plug of old mirror. So yes, that diagram is 100% accurate for the clip that comes out of factory headliner, saving anyone the time from having to probe and found out what is what.

I then soldered 3 of the clip leads from the female clip I cut off of the old mirror directly onto the 3 wires of the new Gentex (black, yellow, red), plugged the Gentex is and everything works perfectly - beautiful mirror. Also, since it is Homelink V5 it supports 2 way communication from garage to mirror so the mirror can tell me is the door is up or down, too. It supports the newest Security+ 2.0 protocol on the newest generation garage openers that do MyQ and battery backup without having to use that stupid "bridge" device they want to sell you which defeats the whole purpose of battery backup!

Hopefully this helps someone because this kicked my *** for about 2 days and it does not seem that many people are swapping mirrors. Most people are buying refurb direct replacements on ebay or sending their mirrors to radar-mirror to get fixed for $100.

OK.. bye bye.
The following 4 users liked this post by SwedeMetal:
bazzle01 (01-13-22), Donitwrong (12-29-19), jtran00 (12-21-18), PACO5092 (06-17-20)
Old 04-19-16, 09:19 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

BTW - An independent shop wanted $100 to do this wiring and the dealer literally told me "if it doesn't come in a Lexus box we wont touch it".

I have not had this car very long and came from a Honda Accord. It is VERY obvious to me that Lexus dealers are the epitome and very definition of STEALERSHIP. It's mind blowing... I feel for those who take their out of warranty cars to an actual dealership for ANYTHING.

Just for fun, I'm going to call a dealer to ask how much they would charge for a cabin filter, engine air filter and a synthetic OFC. =)
Old 04-19-16, 09:42 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

You don't happen to have a picture of the mirror installed do you? Mine is starting to get that marbled pattern to it and was considering replacing it with the mirror the TSB calls for.
Old 04-19-16, 11:29 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

I can take one - it looks awesome!!

I replaced my mirror for two reasons: 1) Stock mirror looked like crap and 2) it had very old and outdated Homelink version which was not compatible with my Chamerblian MyQ garage opener.

This new mirror killed both birds with the same stone by looking sexy as hell and for having Homelink V5. I fought for HOURS trying to program the original mirror... HOURS. Got the new mirror in, had Homelink working in less than a minute!

Basically you have 3 options if your mirror looks like crap:

1) Send your current mirror to radar mirror to have new glass put in for $100
2) Buy the same unit as a used/pull off of eBay for $150-$200'ish?
3) Buy a Gentex (any model you like) and wire that bad boy in there

I can tell you with 100% confidence the schematic I attached is valid if you have a 2008 IS350 and your headline harness clip follows same color code as my photo has because I just did this last night.

You WILL lose the side view mirror dimming if you go with same Gentex I used. If you want to keep the side dimming mirrors then you need to try and find the same mirror you have now or have yours repaired. I did not care about the side dimming mirrors so I put in the Frameless. Gentex does make EC+/EC- mirrors but it's the FRAMED type with the backup camera in the mirror which I did not need.

Here is where I bought my mirror.

http://www.autodax.com/product_p/50-genk80a.htm

Please let me know if you have ANY questions about mirror wiring, I love to help!!
Old 04-19-16, 11:36 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

BTW - For fun, I called a random dealer and asked:

CABIN FILTER: $80 plus tax. (Me: $9 on Amazon, 1 minute "labor")
ENGINE AIR FILTER $50 plus tax. (Me: $14 on Amazon, 10 minutes "labor")
OFC / Synth $95 plus tax. (Me: Filter $4, 7q of Mobile 1 $32, 20 minutes "labor")

Dealer = $260. DIY = $60.

$200 delta. Almost paid for the mirror. =)
Old 04-25-17, 02:36 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would this be the same wiring wise for an upgrade into a 2007 IS250 if I am trying to upgrade to the 2016+ frameless mirrors on all the new Lexus models?
Attached Thumbnails 2008 IS350 Gentex Frameless 50-GENK80A Rearview Install-capture.png  
Old 04-25-17, 04:29 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by chriso5573
Would this be the same wiring wise for an upgrade into a 2007 IS250 if I am trying to upgrade to the 2016+ frameless mirrors on all the new Lexus models?
You'll need a 10 pin harness. Someone on eBay sells them, you need to contact them/comment in the checkout that the mirror is from a Toyota/Lexus vehicle so they can change the pinout. (This is the one I bought for the 10 GS350 mirror I ended up grabbing). You'll just need to use the t-taps they provide to give power to the mirror, and find a ground to wire it up iirc, I routed the ground down the passenger A-pillar and found a ground down there. As for power, I used the T-taps on the existing mirror harness.
The following users liked this post:
chriso5573 (04-25-17)
Old 12-21-18, 10:44 PM
jtran00
Power Overwhelming

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shout out to SwedeMetal whose write-up I followed to install the same Gentex Frameless 50-GENK80A rearview into my '06 IS350. No more black dots!

I just pulled the pins out of each harness then realigned the pins from the gentex mirror into the old 5-pin harness. ground(green), switched(white), constant 12v(black) as shown. , These align with the headliner connector to provide power. No soldering required. Plug in and go!

The following 2 users liked this post by jtran00:
eyw8888 (07-10-21), ISFerr (02-27-19)
Old 10-14-21, 09:08 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jtran00
Shout out to SwedeMetal whose write-up I followed to install the same Gentex Frameless 50-GENK80A rearview into my '06 IS350. No more black dots!

I just pulled the pins out of each harness then realigned the pins from the gentex mirror into the old 5-pin harness. ground(green), switched(white), constant 12v(black) as shown. , These align with the headliner connector to provide power. No soldering required. Plug in and go!

Sorry to bump an old thread. I updated this write up to show the auto-diming side mirrors in addition to showing all the correct pins and how to repin things over.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11145115