IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PPE owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 07:52 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PPE owners

Quick question for you PPE header owners. Do you guys actually feel a difference in power in the car? And have any of you ran the 1/4 to see if it actually even improves the cars trap speed and time?

I'm trying to see if I should get a 7200rpm tune from one of the tuning companies on here, or if I should just get headers instead. They both make roughly the same amount of power with the headers making about an an extra 2whp at best. Right now I'm leaning towards the tune since it is cheaper and I don't have to worry about doing SMOG with it here (California).

But at the same time I'm considering the headers so that way I can have the last bolt on I'm missing on the car, since I already have exhaust and intake. That way I can just tune later in the future with all mods on for max gains. BUT the headers do cost $800 or so which is a good bit more than the tune AND I have to uninstall them when I smog every 2 years...

What do you guys think? Are the PPE headers worth it or should I just get a tune and be done with it?
Old 03-03-16, 11:59 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I noticed a difference when I had the headers on with no cats in the system. But that rasp was just ungodly, so I had to throw some HF cats on. As far as the tune goes, its relatively new, and I'd prefer to wait for them to refine it a bit more, maybe throw something in for making our "manual" mode more manual.

As far as price goes , granted both pieces might cost the same, but unless you're installing the headers yourself, that's going to run you much more . my $.02
Old 03-03-16, 12:02 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaXxJaPxX
I feel like I noticed a difference when I had the headers on with no cats in the system. But that rasp was just ungodly, so I had to throw some HF cats on. As far as the tune goes, its relatively new, and I'd prefer to wait for them to refine it a bit more, maybe throw something in for making our "manual" mode more manual.

As far as price goes , granted both pieces might cost the same, but unless you're installing the headers yourself, that's going to run you much more . my $.02
I will be having some one else install them for me. So yeah that would be more expensive... Maybe I will just wait for the tune to be a little more "optimized" then I can jump on that train. I guess I'm just waiting for the transmission to be tuned to allow for a higher redline at all times instead of just manual mode. Or better yet make the gear shifter actually shift the car like an ISF does. That would be great lol
Old 03-03-16, 12:52 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I want to share my opinion guys since I never believed in dyno numbers and I like to test my car on the street with an other car that I know.I install last week LMS supercharger which I believe it's the best way to get power for our cars(I have an IS250 and live in Europe).I bought it from my friend Elias who had install everything that there is for our car including Juntw full exchast (6000$)light flywheel and much much more.Before I buy this kit I wanted to race my buddy's Ford Focus 200hp which was ahead of me almost 15 cars when I was stock.My friends Elias car which I drove was ahead by one car.I was very glad because I noticed how much gain the car had so I bought the supercharger set up .I have 19is and I didn't install any exchast on my set up.I went with my buddy's focus to see the difference and to my surprise I was infront again by half car this time.That makes me wonder if those horshepower that headers and exchast give worth the money!That was just my observation guys.I dont mean anything guys don't get me wrong.I could get my buddy's exchast if I wanted to but I just don't see why!To gain half a car?I talked to an exchast house about it and told me that it would be better for the car to have an exchast but if I m satisfied with it I should keep it like that.
Old 03-03-16, 01:09 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Noticeable gains on my is250, same with fiancee's 350. I prefer headers over the tune (if i had the option) because of the extra exhaust noise. For a comparison between the two, i personally would get more enjoyment out of the sound of headers + whp, compared to just +whp.

If its a hassle with smog, thats just up to you how big a deal it is.
Old 03-03-16, 02:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PAVGR
I want to share my opinion guys since I never believed in dyno numbers and I like to test my car on the street with an other car that I know.I install last week LMS supercharger which I believe it's the best way to get power for our cars(I have an IS250 and live in Europe).I bought it from my friend Elias who had install everything that there is for our car including Juntw full exchast (6000$)light flywheel and much much more.Before I buy this kit I wanted to race my buddy's Ford Focus 200hp which was ahead of me almost 15 cars when I was stock.My friends Elias car which I drove was ahead by one car.I was very glad because I noticed how much gain the car had so I bought the supercharger set up .I have 19is and I didn't install any exchast on my set up.I went with my buddy's focus to see the difference and to my surprise I was infront again by half car this time.That makes me wonder if those horshepower that headers and exchast give worth the money!That was just my observation guys.I dont mean anything guys don't get me wrong.I could get my buddy's exchast if I wanted to but I just don't see why!To gain half a car?I talked to an exchast house about it and told me that it would be better for the car to have an exchast but if I m satisfied with it I should keep it like that.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. Too bad I can't afford a supercharger though lol.
Old 03-03-16, 02:06 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyarms
Noticeable gains on my is250, same with fiancee's 350. I prefer headers over the tune (if i had the option) because of the extra exhaust noise. For a comparison between the two, i personally would get more enjoyment out of the sound of headers + whp, compared to just +whp.

If its a hassle with smog, thats just up to you how big a deal it is.
Well I already have a good sound coming from my car. However I wouldn't mind louder although most on this forum prefer quieter. A compelling reason for the tune is the fact that I can pass smog, I can install it myself , and pay less for the tune itself. Oh and I can rev all the way up to 7200rpm . Which is a big plus because it also increases how far each of our gears can go.

However my reason for the headers is that if I get the headers first and then tune the car afterwards, I'll have a full bolt on IS350 with tune and maximize my gains vs just having intake/exhaust with tune. I really want the headers but now I'm just wondering if their worth all the money and effort required to get them on and run them in California, Since I'd have to remove them every 2 years.
Old 03-03-16, 05:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

With Cali laws, do you have to have factory headers and cats OR will they pass you with an aftermarket set of headers as long as you have HF cats?

Anyways, I definitely noticed an increase in power on the 'ol butt dyno on my '06 IS350. The motor breathes so much more freely, which if you get the 7200 rev limit/tune, you'll have a NICE pkg! I'd recommend getting the headers first; this give the tune suppliers time to finalize a tune for us PPE header owners. Not sure if they've got one yet.

FYI, I've got a stock exhaust still.
Old 03-03-16, 09:03 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
With Cali laws, do you have to have factory headers and cats OR will they pass you with an aftermarket set of headers as long as you have HF cats?

Anyways, I definitely noticed an increase in power on the 'ol butt dyno on my '06 IS350. The motor breathes so much more freely, which if you get the 7200 rev limit/tune, you'll have a NICE pkg! I'd recommend getting the headers first; this give the tune suppliers time to finalize a tune for us PPE header owners. Not sure if they've got one yet.

FYI, I've got a stock exhaust still.
Yeah I really want them but ughhhh California

To pass smog I'm sure you can pass with HF cars but headers are almost always illegal unless there short us and have a carb sticker I think.

Also I find it a little weird that you got headers before exhaust. Any reason why?
Old 03-04-16, 05:08 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Headers = more hp than a FULL exhaust. AND cost less! Plus there was wasn't a out-of-the-box exhaust setup that I like that I'd not have to sale my right nut for. LOL!
Old 03-06-16, 08:30 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Headers = more hp than a FULL exhaust. AND cost less! Plus there was wasn't a out-of-the-box exhaust setup that I like that I'd not have to sale my right nut for. LOL!
That's a good way to put it honestly. But when you factor in the cost for the part and labor on headers it winds up costing more than an exhaust. Especially in my case where I bought my exhaust for $350 and then my Megan mid pipe for another $350. Still only $700 (minus install) and it's much louder than stock , which makes it funner too

How does the headers sound like with a stock exhaust anyway? You got any sound clips?
Old 03-06-16, 11:23 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
That's a good way to put it honestly. But when you factor in the cost for the part and labor on headers it winds up costing more than an exhaust. Especially in my case where I bought my exhaust for $350 and then my Megan mid pipe for another $350. Still only $700 (minus install) and it's much louder than stock , which makes it funner too

How does the headers sound like with a stock exhaust anyway? You got any sound clips?
If you are going to do headers, don't keep the stock exhaust. Your stock header primaries are only 1 1/4" (please correct me if I'm wrong), however the PPE are larger and designed to flow more air. You're going to need to get that air all the way back, not just to mid section. By spending a few extra dollars, you'll get the full potential out of the exhaust, then tune.
1-855-998-8726
Old 03-06-16, 11:26 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
If you are going to do headers, don't keep the stock exhaust. Your stock header primaries are only 1 1/4" (please correct me if I'm wrong), however the PPE are larger and designed to flow more air. You're going to need to get that air all the way back, not just to mid section. By spending a few extra dollars, you'll get the full potential out of the exhaust, then tune.
I think you misunderstood my reply. I meant that I already have midpipe and exhaust and the only thing missing for my car is the headers. My question for the thread was if it was worth getting the headers and having to deal with smog here in California before getting my tune done.

Unless of course you were replying to Gville350 since he has a stock exhaust still.
Old 03-06-16, 11:31 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry I read that wrong. I was referring to Gville350.

But Gville3350, you are from South Carolina which doesn't have smog testing like California does.

Tro209, you are faced with a dilema due to how strict CA laws are. Headers would be great but the hassle of taking them off every two years, especially when you get to the 4 year point, may be not worth it. Unless you are doing this yourself, your going to be paying for them to take it off and put it back on, and god forbid they break a bolt (especially when the parts become older), the gains may not be worth the hassle.
1-855-998-8726
Old 03-06-16, 11:36 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
Sorry I read that wrong. I was referring to Gville350.

But Gville3350, you are from South Carolina which doesn't have smog testing like California does.

Tro209, you are faced with a dilema due to how strict CA laws are. Headers would be great but the hassle of taking them off every two years, especially when you get to the 4 year point, may be not worth it. Unless you are doing this yourself, your going to be paying for them to take it off and put it back on, and god forbid they break a bolt (especially when the parts become older), the gains may not be worth the hassle.
It's all good.

Anyway yeah the whole strict California law is annoying. I really wanna have the full potential of the car by having the headers along with the tune, but I don't wanna have to go through all that removing and re installing that goes with the headers. Way to go California..

I think the only way to make this work is by finding "other ways" to get these on and not have to remove them every 2 years. But I'd rather not deal with that honestly..

Quick Reply: PPE owners