IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Multiple codes ---- Help!! 06 is250awd

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 11:25 AM
Dalvarez78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Multiple codes ---- Help!! 06 is250awd

So, me and these codes have reached our point of being enemies! I hate my CEL and the infamous VSC light being on... I love my car don't get me wrong, but she has been quite a headache with the dang lights since I got her her in 2014. I've taken her in for 2 recalls so far and just got another one in that I need to schedule. The last time the VSC and CEL kept coming on we thought it had to do with the gas cap. Bought one at the Lexus Dealer and they stayed off for a long time. Now however they're back with a vengeance. Lights came back on and have stayed on. We're pulling codes: P0138, P0717, P0014, and P0136. I know that both P0138 and P0136 supposedly have to do with O2 (bank 1, sensor 2). The P0717 is turbine/input shaft speed sensor circuit, no signal. And the P0014 is exhaust camshaft position timing - over - advanced (bank 1). I've read where both 138 & 136 could be caused from faulty fuel injectors, air leaks, exhaust gas leaks, besides the actual sensors being bad. (Have noticed the extra smoke from exhaust.) The 0014, I saw where it could be caused from dirty oil or faulty VVT, OCV, etc. Not really sure what those are though... As far as the symptoms we have noticed a lack of power or a tad of a rough start or hesitation sometimes. It's intermittent though... The 717 all I know is that it could have something to do with the transmission sensor. I really haven't found much out about it.
My questions would start by asking if all of these could have something to do with the same issue? Or are all of these separate problems? Are these serious or could it be caused from something minimal?
Trying to backtrack to when the lights came on and stayed on was when my husband ran the gas to empty. (Grrrr!) Since then the lights have stayed on. Also, because currently we are in my small hometown helping to get my mother's home sold and get her moved, the nearest Lexus Dealer is 2 hours away, so we've had to use a small oil change shop to do our oil changes. (Maybe something to do with the oil? Not sure...) We ran a little over on getting our last oil change as well....and we always have to remind them to make sure to put extra oil as they try to only add 6qts most of the time.
Other then that, that's pretty much it...
We do suffer the initial startup rattle, but Lexus won't fix it as the initial factory warning is up and they said there's no active recall or TSP (?) on it. (Oh and our GPS decided to do the famous "no external connection" error or whatever too...) Ugh, seems like we have been hit with every single glitch that this model can have.... Heartbreaking since this is my first Lexus.

Do you all have any opinions or suggestions? I am scared to death this is fixing to run me into the thousands and thousands to fix. 😞 Help!!!
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-16, 06:18 PM
Dalvarez78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have been continuing to read and try to find out what the heck these problems could be... Could there be a possibility that all of this could stem from a faulty ESM or even the ESM having a bad connection??? From what I've read, the ESM is the one common denominator in regards to all of these different codes...

Could I have possibly located my problem??? Or am I just grasping at straws as they say? Haha

Help??? Anyone??! Please???
Old 01-10-16, 09:47 PM
KIS350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey,

So did the car begin running poorly the same time as these codes came up? (Is the poor running linked to the codes?)Did all the codes come up at the same time? What codes did you have before that cleared with the gas cap...how many miles do you have on her?

Have you tried resetting all the codes and seeing which ones or if all come back?

I'm no expert but I've had a very recent incident where I had several codes come up and engine failure. I had to replace my battery to get it to turn over. When I did it still wouldn't start and it kicked a pile of new error codes...everyone I spoke with said check the grounds, battery and alternator including alternator connections. Turns out my alternator seized while I was driving it.

I don't know if it helps but I have read a lot of issues such as yours turn out be in faulty grounds, faulty batteries, faulty alternator, or wiring looms that have come apart at connectors, become brittle or become loose.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-16, 09:51 PM
KIS350
Driver

Do you mean faulty ECM? If so it's very unlikely but possible. I would think it would be the last thing to suspect. Tho capacitors on electronics can see a life expectancy of 10 years...and yours is ten years old.

Honestly I wouldn't even look into the ECM until you've checked the more common, and thankfully less expensive, issues that you could be having.

VVT is your "variable valve timing" mechanism. It's mounted on the end of the camshafts. It uses oil from your engine to adjust the camshaft timing under certain operating conditions. You have two oil control valves (ocv) on each valve cover to actuate the VVT hubs. They could be dirty... and the oil changes at the little shop may have something to do with it. The rattle some people hear is that VVT hub before pressure builds in the system. From my understanding that same rattle breaks the locking pin inside or causes the bolts to loosen in the sprocket assembly of the VVT which can lead to serious engine failure as the bolts fall inside the engine. I thought the '06 IS250's were in line for that recall. Perhaps not. Mine is an '08 IS350 and mine has been recalled.
Anyway, you would know if your engine had that failure I would think.

Just trying to help out until others can chime in. I would really start with checking your batteries, grounds and alternator.

Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0138
A code P0138 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty O2 sensor Short to battery voltage in O2 sensor signal circuit High fuel pressure (not as likely)

Possible causes of OBD code P0136
A code P0136 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty O2 sensor leak in exhaust close to O2 sensor Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit Open in circuit resistance caused by corrosion in connector
Possible causes of OBD code P0717
- Transmission speed sensor circuit is open or shorted. - Poor transmission speed sensor circuit connection - Faulty transmission speed sensor The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0717 is detected when TCM or ECM receives no signal from the sensor.

Last edited by KIS350; 01-10-16 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 09:58 AM
KIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by Dalvarez78
So I have been continuing to read and try to find out what the heck these problems could be... Could there be a possibility that all of this could stem from a faulty ESM or even the ESM having a bad connection??? From what I've read, the ESM is the one common denominator in regards to all of these different codes...

Could I have possibly located my problem??? Or am I just grasping at straws as they say? Haha

Help??? Anyone??! Please???
Any update??