IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Roll front fenders or shave?? Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 08:48 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Roll front fenders or shave?? Advice needed

Hi everyone, So after having dropped my car on BC's for a few days now, ive been kind of tired of the rake my car has. In other words my rear sits lower than my front and i was told by my installer that a lot of cars have this problem because of how much space the front fender gives vs the rear. (Or something like that)

So anyway, now i've decided to get some fender work done to my car and my friend told me i should get my front fenders rolled and that he has a buddy that can help me out. However i dont really wanna make my cars body look any wider than it is, (which i assume is what rolling fenders does) especailly since im on stock 18's. But maybe in the future when i buy wheels ill be more willing to.

What exactly is the difference (roll vs shaving), which is the better option for getting my car to sit more level without rubbing and what did you guys do??

Please forgive me if it sounds like i dont know what im talking about (because i dont lol) All advice is appreciated and if someone could explain exactly what rolling and shaving is that is also appreciated. Thanks

Edit: In other words, What must I do in order for my car to sit at an even level with my BC's since I prefer both front and back to sit at same height?

Last edited by Tro209; 12-13-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 08:57 PM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Hi everyone, So after having dropped my car on BC's for a few days now, ive been kind of tired of the rake my car has. In other words my rear sits lower than my front and i was told by my installer that a lot of cars have this problem because of how much space the front fender gives vs the rear. (Or something like that)

So anyway, now i've decided to get some fender work done to my car and my friend told me i should get my front fenders rolled and that he has a buddy that can help me out. However i dont really wanna make my cars body look any wider than it is, (which i assume is what rolling fenders does) especailly since im on stock 18's. But maybe in the future when i buy wheels ill be more willing to.

So ive researched to the best of my ability and dont quite understand the differences between rolling my fenders or shaving them. What exactly is the difference, which is the better option for getting my car to sit more level without rubbing and what did you guys do??

Please forgive me if it sounds like i dont know what im talking about (because i dont lol) All advice is appreciated and if someone could explain exactly what rolling and shaving is that is also appreciated. Thanks

Edit: In other words, What must I do in order for my car to sit at an even level with my BC's since I prefer both front and back to sit at same height?

on stock wheels? you dont need to roll bro. i tore out the front fender liner

Old 12-13-15, 08:59 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by markjustus
on stock wheels? you dont need to roll bro. i tore out the front fender liner

Wow quick response, Thanks!

So all i need to do is remove the front fender liner? Thats the rubber attached to the fender correct? How would one go about doing this? Also your drop is exactly what im going for lol.
Old 12-13-15, 09:08 PM
markjustus
Driver

Wow quick response, Thanks!

So all i need to do is remove the front fender liner? Thats the rubber attached to the fender correct? How would one go about doing this?
lol just signed on to see whats good on clublexus lol but yeah, you will need a jack, 10mm socket, a flathead screwdriver and some snips.

before you get started, i recommend you remove all the fender liner EXCEPT the part behind the fog light.
once you get the wheel off, start unbolting from the back of the wheel and work your way forward. I cut the fender liner off right above behind the fog lights, that way you can still keep that wiring dry. then repeat for the other side.

From the on its up to you on how low you want to go and adjust the rears accordingly. you may need another alignment though
Old 12-13-15, 09:10 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

lol just signed on to see whats good on clublexus lol but yeah, you will need a jack, 10mm socket, a flathead screwdriver and some snips.

before you get started, i recommend you remove all the fender liner EXCEPT the part behind the fog light.
once you get the wheel off, start unbolting from the back of the wheel and work your way forward. I cut the fender liner off right above behind the fog lights, that way you can still keep that wiring dry. then repeat for the other side.

From the on its up to you on how low you want to go and adjust the rears accordingly. you may need another alignment though
Perfect timing then haha. Thanks buddy , appreciate your help. I will definitely be doing this.
Old 12-13-15, 09:12 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Oh and another question, when i do buy aftermarket wheels , either 18's or 19's, will I need to roll the fenders then or only if i go aggressive enough?
Old 12-13-15, 09:18 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are going to run stock wheels, you dont have to roll or shave your fenders. You might have to do a tab relocate mod.
Old 12-13-15, 09:25 PM
markjustus
Driver

Perfect timing then haha. Thanks buddy , appreciate your help. I will definitely be doing this.
yuuuup you can go surprisingly low before you start rubbing fenders

Oh and another question, when i do buy aftermarket wheels , either 18's or 19's, will I need to roll the fenders then or only if i go aggressive enough?
i believe it will depend on the offset and how wide you go. im shooting for 19x9.5 in the front and at least 19x10 in the back. i believe the offset will have to sit around 35 with a high disk setup in the front and low disk in the back, but possibly some of the VIP guys can chime in on this.
Old 12-13-15, 09:48 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What exactly is the difference (roll vs shaving), which is the better option for getting my car to sit more level without rubbing and what did you guys do??

shave = basically cutting your fender so there's less of it
rolling = pushing it out so your wheels have more room to clear the fender

I don't know of many people who have actually shaved their fenders; a simple roll will usually suffice depending on your wheels.
if you're running on stocks, you usually won't have a problem a fender but instead will be the bumper tab&fender liner.
you will usually rub completely through your fender liner when you first lower your car and since it's mostly plastic whose only purpose is to keep your car a little cleaner, it shouldn't matter too much
if you're still rubbing though, you might want to take a look at shaving your bumper tab which you can find here: http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1.../bumpertab.jpg

to be honest, a good roll and the bumper tab relocate will go a long way! I try not to shave my fenders since it kinda destroys the structural integrity. plus if you ever want to sell your car, I'm sure shaving will drive the price down!
Old 12-14-15, 05:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good questions and answers. First off if you're on stocks and you want to level your car you'll need to either lower the front more or raise the rear more to make it level. If you lower the front more you will rub the inner liner more at the center top most portion. I cut mine out since the wheel will be moving up and down (so I tried to save as much of my liner as I could because on my last car that I removed it, the rain and rocks would get in my door jamb). As far as rolling vs. shaving, rolling is moving the lip around the edge of the fender flatter and shaving is actually cutting your fender (does weaken the metal and can develop rust if you don't paint it). I rolled mine and I recommend doing that to the fronts (I've seen people do it in the rear). Don't confuse rolling with pulling. Pulling is what will make it look a bit wider because you're actually pulling the fender out and away from the body. With stocks you have time to start slow and dial it all in. You can look on you tube to see examples. Good luck.
Old 12-14-15, 08:40 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Good questions and answers. First off if you're on stocks and you want to level your car you'll need to either lower the front more or raise the rear more to make it level. If you lower the front more you will rub the inner liner more at the center top most portion. I cut mine out since the wheel will be moving up and down (so I tried to save as much of my liner as I could because on my last car that I removed it, the rain and rocks would get in my door jamb). As far as rolling vs. shaving, rolling is moving the lip around the edge of the fender flatter and shaving is actually cutting your fender (does weaken the metal and can develop rust if you don't paint it). I rolled mine and I recommend doing that to the fronts (I've seen people do it in the rear). Don't confuse rolling with pulling. Pulling is what will make it look a bit wider because you're actually pulling the fender out and away from the body. With stocks you have time to start slow and dial it all in. You can look on you tube to see examples. Good luck.
So what your saying is Rolling wont make the front look any bigger? Interesting..

Im sure ill just cut the liner out and work from there. Maybe once i have wheels ill roll the fender if necessary (or whatever is needed lol) Thanks. Oh and yeah i know i need to lower the front lol, i was just trying ask how to prevent the tires from rubbing or causing whatever damage my coil installer told me about.
Old 12-15-15, 10:14 AM
markjustus
Driver

So what your saying is Rolling wont make the front look any bigger? Interesting..

Im sure ill just cut the liner out and work from there. Maybe once i have wheels ill roll the fender if necessary (or whatever is needed lol) Thanks. Oh and yeah i know i need to lower the front lol, i was just trying ask how to prevent the tires from rubbing or causing whatever damage my coil installer told me about.
Oh, OP I also ripped out the rear fender liner. All you need are 10mm socket and flathead. It's like 10 bolts and nothing underneath to worry about,
Old 12-15-15, 04:44 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Oh, OP I also ripped out the rear fender liner. All you need are 10mm socket and flathead. It's like 10 bolts and nothing underneath to worry about,
Thanks, but how necessary is that to do?
Old 12-15-15, 08:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Just remove the front wheel liners (the plastic part inside the wheel wells) and drop to the desired level. You'll have no issues on stock 18s...besides not being able to make it up driveways or slight inclines. LOL! Been there, got tired of beating up my GFX front lip.