IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3IS Style Tail Light Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 05:41 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=heyarms;9301496]Judging by when 78works debuted the tail lights wayyy back over a year ago, leads me to think they may have designed them first.

As for quality differences, I haven't found anyone in Houston with any of the aftermarket tails, although the other styles have nearly all the styling cues to say they have the same build quality most likely. I have 78works and love them, I wanted them because they are the only ones with the white in the tails and because they seemed to be the source of the tail design. The black surround on the tails was a oddity to get used to but on a white car, I like the contrast. It adds to the black and carbon accents I already have on the car.

heyarms,
They are growing on me, I have to put the factory I-SF outers for sale first to muster the funds for these. Where did you get them, aren't they made in Japan? I will go with the smoked ones they show on their website.
Old 12-28-15, 06:02 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

78works is my favorite 3IS tail lights. I like the white outline. Not sure how they will look on colors other than GFM
Old 12-29-15, 09:01 AM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
I haven't found anyone in Houston with any of the aftermarket tails,
Funnily enough I just spotted one on the road the other day. I think they're 78works ones?

Old 12-29-15, 11:00 AM
noudles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing comparison write up! i am undecided on which one i like more. both look good in my opinion in regards to the OEM look. im leaning more towards Nigel's set though. future mod for sure!
Old 02-03-16, 10:00 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, incredible write up! Thank you. This helps immensely, but I'm still so torn... as SFFD said, huge fan of Nigels outers because of the white corner area like on my 2011s OEM tail lights, they break up the sea of red as opposed to Spec-d's, except dislike the amber turn signals and I really dislike that rectangular back up light on Nigels. It's just blah.... the price is also most notably a huge plus between the 2 and the fact Spec-d are local to So Cal, I'd get it in less than a month unlike Nigels stuff unfortunately. I really like my OEM tail lights unilluminated appearance, but at night they're bland and boring. I actually like the 06-08 tail lights at night better. They look meaner. So torn. I'm really leaning towards 78 works because they incorporate most all the gripes I've addressed aside from the fact those white lines. The lines are hit and miss, I like them because they stand out and really make it pop, but is it too much and ricey? No offense HeyArms, your car is bada$$ and being highly modified it really speaks volumes on your car. My car not so much as modified as yours. Just is it right for me is what I'm saying. I'm still dwelling.... those 78works lights though are so hard to get my hands on....
Old 02-03-16, 10:01 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Old 02-03-16, 12:22 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Judging by when 78works debuted the tail lights wayyy back over a year ago, leads me to think they may have designed them first.

As for quality differences, I haven't found anyone in Houston with any of the aftermarket tails, although the other styles have nearly all the styling cues to say they have the same build quality most likely. I have 78works and love them, I wanted them because they are the only ones with the white in the tails and because they seemed to be the source of the tail design. The black surround on the tails was a oddity to get used to but on a white car, I like the contrast. It adds to the black and carbon accents I already have on the car.

Wow...I like the finish on these...it looks great on your car.
Old 02-10-16, 12:51 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Judging by when 78works debuted the tail lights wayyy back over a year ago, leads me to think they may have designed them first.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0g5qnoye.png
Where do you get this set? My fav so far

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 06-08-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 12:47 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
Where do you get this set? My fav so far
Those are 78works. They're straight from Japan. Check 'em out. They're also my favorite, still contemplating on whether I should go for the ones heyarms has or all red.
Old 02-11-16, 06:35 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

My girl bought me a set of tail lights for our anniversary and she let me choose. After much deliberation I chose Spec-D. Here's why:

I attempted contacting 78works via Instagram a few times. You can only buy if you setup a shipping account of some sort, which I couldn't figure out to save my life. I liked the red with the white L's, but also wasn't too keen on them because of how flashy they were.

Then I though about Nigel's. I like the OEM look with the clear corner lens, but I dislike the shape. Instead of the square corner found on my 2011 an beyond its just curved. Also don't care for the amber turn signal and that awkwardly placed reverse light. Couldnt get past it.

After much debate, I thought maybe the spec-d was too red, judging by pictures I've seen posted by others and online. But as everyone else has said, the pictures do them NO justice. The camera can't capture the true colors of the lens and lights when illuminated. And holy smokes they're bright! As some have mentioned, fitment is like a 8.5 out of 10. Inner right side trunk lamp isn't perfectly flush but barely noticeable.

Install wasnt too bad. The instructions are worthless. Spec-d even has a YouTube video to show you how and install them. Not accurate. Someone else on this forum posted a YouTube video too which was the real help. Here's why, the lights come with 8 capacitor looking things you have to wire into each light. The instructions only show and mention the 1 large one. They're all color coded but self explanatory.... I guess...understand though why it's sold by K2 motoring, is suppose to be Spec-D brand but the box says Junyan. Huh? Okay. Oh, someone asked about the resistors getting hot. I turned all the lights on and tested them for about a full 60 seconds. The only one I found to get hot was the reverse light resistor. So....don't drive in reverse for too long I guess.

Anyhow. I love them right now. They look amazing and incredibly bright. The price is right, paid $380 with tax, shipped and got them via UPS in 2 days.

Really freshens up the rear end and makes it look more up to date.

Old 02-12-16, 07:06 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
The price is right, paid $380 with tax, shipped and got them via UPS in 2 days.

Really freshens up the rear end and makes it look more up to date.
That's a really good price, where did you get that deal from?

It sounds like you had the exact same thought process on which set to chose. Just curious, what did you decide for the brake light option? I have mine just illuminating on the outer sections, partly to keep the stock concept and partly due to laziness. Just curious if you found the smaller brake light section a cause for concern, I'm on the fence since the extra lighting would be the safer option.
Old 02-12-16, 08:42 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAizz
That's a really good price, where did you get that deal from?

It sounds like you had the exact same thought process on which set to chose. Just curious, what did you decide for the brake light option? I have mine just illuminating on the outer sections, partly to keep the stock concept and partly due to laziness. Just curious if you found the smaller brake light section a cause for concern, I'm on the fence since the extra lighting would be the safer option.
I got the deal on Ebay. Seemed to be the cheapest around. Checked amazon and several other online sellers. Came straight from K2 motorsports in So Cal.

One of my pictures is of the brake lights only on. I opted to do the full brake lights, both inner and outer. It is really easy to do. The plastic covers that go over the trunk hinge is a pain to pry apart, but once you get it off, just run that wire down and behind the trunk covers and done. In my opinion totally worth it, it's there and makes it look way better. My inspiration though was my girlfriends RC. see below.

Now it looks similar to hers when I brake. The stock concept original look wasn't appealing to me, another reason why I did not go with Nigels.
Old 02-13-16, 03:56 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Honestly my only gripe if at all about my Nigel taillights vs. Others was the reverse... I fixed that with some overlay and I am still feeling then more than the other. Not really into the white line for no reason... but not hating

Name:  2016-01-12%2005.21.14.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  424.1 KB
Old 02-13-16, 05:40 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Honestly my only gripe if at all about my Nigel taillights vs. Others was the reverse... I fixed that with some overlay and I am still feeling then more than the other. Not really into the white line for no reason... but not hating

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...2005.21.14.jpg
Those look great! Great idea. I'm also impatient. Last time my girl bought me illuminated door sills from Nigel they took forever to get.

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 06-08-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 11:11 PM
Leowaxx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine 78works V2 taillights
Attached Thumbnails 3IS Style Tail Light Comparison-image-2551494906.jpg  

Quick Reply: 3IS Style Tail Light Comparison