IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350 Trunk Fitment Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 06:15 AM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS350 Trunk Fitment Off

Hey guys, I recently acquired my new to me 2IS. I love it to death, but there are some aesthetic issues I'm about to try and fix. The one I'd like your input on first is the trunk lid.

When it's closed and I look at it, there's a much bigger panel gap on the left side, on top (compared to the other side). It seems as though some bolts or something are loose on the left arm that holds it and that it won't go to its original position, all the way down, when closed. If I push it, it'll go to where it's supposed to be. I'll put up pics when I get a chance. It still shuts and seals the water out, so its not a big deal, its just messing with my OCD. haha

Have any of you experienced anything like this before? Figured I'd see if anyone has had to do this previously before I tear everything apart to diagnose it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by brauski; 06-25-15 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 08:58 AM
Awd250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take off the truck trim and realign the bolts and adjust the rear body striker to get it to align.
Do you know if the car has been in a accident?
Old 06-23-15, 10:07 AM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Awd250
You can take off the truck trim and realign the bolts and adjust the rear body striker to get it to align.
Do you know if the car has been in a accident?

Thanks! Glad to hear it could be as easy I was imagining.

The carfax is clean, but who knows. The front bumper has an aftermarket lip, and feeling under it, it seems like the guy hit a curb and messed up the OEM bumper pretty bad and just used the lip to cover it. Also, the right headlight is a little off kilter, making me think that possibly someone removed the headlight and/or bumper and didn't put it back on perfectly. At the price I got it for, I don't mind. But there's no evidence to show anything happened to the back.

I'm gonna go thru the service history on the Lexus website and see if there's anything about either.
Old 06-24-15, 08:30 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brauski
Hey guys, I recently acquired my new to me 2IS. I love it to death, but there are some aesthetic issues I'm about to try and fix. The one I'd like your input on first is the trunk lid.

When it's closed and I look at it, there's a much bigger panel gap on the left side, on top (compared to the other side). It seems as though some bolts or something are loose on the left arm that holds it and that it won't go to its original position, all the way down, when closed. If I push it, it'll go to where it's supposed to be. I'll put up pics when I get a chance. It still shuts and seals the water out, so its not a big deal, its just messing with my OCD. haha

Have any of you experienced anything like this before? Figured I'd see if anyone has had to do this previously before I tear everything apart to diagnose it. Thanks in advance!
Omg mines have the same trunk issue! It's higher up on the left hand side I thought it's been in a accident or something but it hasn't. No issues with my trunk either no water in it just bother me that both side aren't level the same.

I will take a pic once I get off work.
Old 06-25-15, 07:43 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
Omg mines have the same trunk issue! It's higher up on the left hand side I thought it's been in a accident or something but it hasn't. No issues with my trunk either no water in it just bother me that both side aren't level the same.

I will take a pic once I get off work.
Uploaded pics, is that what yours looks like?
Old 06-25-15, 07:50 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would loosen the trunk hinge bolts and move it slightly to the side with the largest gap. Should be a simple fix. If not, I'm sure a body shop can straighten this out for you pretty quickly if not.
Old 06-26-15, 05:43 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brauski
Uploaded pics, is that what yours looks like?
That's exactly what my trunks looks like 😐. I thought the car got rear ended but it just seems to be something some of our trunks do.

Could it be to how the owner opens the trunk over time ?
Old 06-26-15, 06:58 AM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
That's exactly what my trunks looks like 😐. I thought the car got rear ended but it just seems to be something some of our trunks do.

Could it be to how the owner opens the trunk over time ?
Possible, but doubtful since most people are right handed. lol Maybe our cars both previously had left handed owners and that's why this issue is so rare.
Old 06-26-15, 12:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

My 2IS was a Sept '05 built model, and to this day the trunk alignment is still factory tight after all this time.

Cannot say the same thing about the hood though. LOL!
Old 06-26-15, 10:01 PM
leftyjohn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt loosen up anything before checking/adjusting the stops that at the bottom/inside of the trunk. It appears the gaps may be equal but drivers side of trunk is higher making gap larger
Old 06-27-15, 10:34 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

My gap doesn't seem as big as yours. But here's mine tried the best to capture it in the pic.

Old 06-28-15, 10:53 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Mine is slightly off as well. Just like your picks. Any luck fixing it?
Old 06-28-15, 11:18 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Haven't had time. I did finally check the service history, and there was nothing involving the trunk.

I'll update if / when I figure it out