IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Good riddance, 2011 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 06:00 AM
catsnmusic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good riddance, 2011 IS250

In February of this year I purchased a white 2011 IS250 AWD automatic with 25K miles on it.
It had a clean Car Fax and was so beautiful. It had the luxury value package which had the sunshade, nav/backup camera, etc.
My previous car had been a 2006 Infiniti G35X (AWD).
I am happy to say that on Saturday I traded this heap of junk for a 2012 fully loaded Maxima with 27K miles on it.
Why did I trade such a pretty AWD car for a Maxima?

Here is the list of things that were wrong with the IS250 just in the 3 months I owned it:

-Car vibrates with a nauseating "flutter" in the entire cabin when idling (like when sitting at a red light). I had to put it into neutral at every red light just to stop the annoying vibration. Even my passengers felt it so I know it’s not just me. Even my driver's seat was vibrating my private parts to the point of numbing them. I had it to the Lexus dealer twice, the answer I got is “This is normal, it’s the way they run.” Nice, real nice. I had not noticed this when I test drove it because honestly, we had the worst winter on record in Boston and I bought it in the middle of a blizzard, and the roads were so messed up and snow packed and it was so cold, I did not notice the poor idling. I was too focused on getting myself safely around without spinning out due ot all the ice. It probably went unnoticed because driving here was abysmal and the roads were rough due to ice. Once the nice weather hit, I started noticing how badly it fluttered at red lights and was really disappointed. Interestingly, I test drove two 2012 GS350's a couple weeks ago and they both vibrated even worse than my IS250.

-Windshield was rattling badlky and Lexus found the windshield clips had to be tightened (covered under warranty)

-Driver’s side window was rattling over bumps, Lexus replaced the entire window motor assembly (replaced under warranty)
- 3rd brake light in back window came completely loose for no reason, would not stay clipped down into the cheap rear shelf area. I had to Velcro it down to keep it from going lopsided every time I took a turn

- Driver’s side door mirror intermittently tilts up to the sky when it returns from being down in reverse mode. Brought it to Lexus, they couldn’t duplicate it and said bring it back when you can get it to do it. I gave up and put the slider in the middle of the L/R switch to bypass the tilt. Disappointment

- Annoying noise on driver’s door at the ear level which sounded like the rubber door weather stripping but all was tight. I tried to figure out a fix from searching the threads on this site. Never did find a solution and it was really, really bad. Took all the enjoyment out of the car.

- Finally, (have to laugh about this one) when I went to trade the Lexus in on Saturday, I pulled in to the dealership and there is the plastic panel under the glove compartment, literally hanging off the dash. All the glue somehow came undone and the panel was hanging off. Had to laugh. What poor quality.

So, I now have another Nissan product which I LOVE and should have bought to begin with but I had my mind SET on an AWD vehicle. I don’t like the newer Infiniti interiors so I wanted to try an AWD Lexus. After all, aren’t Lexus cars supposed to be top notch? My fully loaded Maxima does not have AWD but I LOVE my car. It’s fast (290 HP) and beautiful and SOLID!! It feels like a tank yet it’s a 6 cylinder. It has a growl that lets me know its power is there, but yet my car is not vibrating. It’s humming along and idling smoothly at red lights. Feels just like the old G35X sans the AWD. I was concerned I wouldn’t like the CVT but this tranny shifts easily and smooth and does not bother me in the least. The car MOVES when I hit the gas. I will add, I will likely NEVER buy a Lexus ever again. I don’t know whether I just got a bad car but my 3 month experience was aggravating enough to last 3 years’ worth of headaches, time missed at work, etc.
I took a financial hit trading the overpriced Lexus in for the Maxima but I don’t regret it for one second. Good riddance, IS250. You were all steak, no sizzle. Never again and I will not recommend a Lexus to anyone else. I don't expect a used car to be PERFECT, but pretty darn headache free for a little while at 25K miles. I know my Maxima will not be perect, because no car is. I do have faith in it though because I've owned 3 Infinitis.

Thank you to all of you who replied with very helpful posts to my threads trying to help me fix some of these issues. It was great knowing you all for 3 months.

Mary in Boston
Old 05-18-15, 08:01 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds you might have had a car that was messed with before you bought it. I have one and no issues at all or vibrations. Well Good luck. and Congratulations.
Old 05-18-15, 12:28 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like the prior person whom traded in the vehicle had all those pre-existing issues. Like any other car, there are some with issues. I am a Sales Manager at a NISSAN dealership and we have PLENTY brand new Pathfinders, Rogues and Muranos that Nissan buys back due to CVT(transmission) issues. Good luck, Maximas are a great choice. Especially the SV Premium optioned out ones.
Old 05-18-15, 12:33 PM
catsnmusic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sv

Thank you! I got the SV sport package with nav, backup camera, heated steering wheel.

Last edited by catsnmusic; 05-18-15 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 02:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean car fax, and I assume it was not a Lexus CPO car. No doubt that car had unaccceptable issues, problems. Maxima should be better than old car, even with a CVT.
Old 05-18-15, 02:08 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Good luck with the new car, Mary. I had a 4th generation Maxima back in the late 90's, and it was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 05-18-15, 05:57 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife have 2007 Is250 and so far so good.

Should've trade it in for 2014 Is350 or Rc350. If you like more power. J/k

Last edited by MWIS350; 05-18-15 at 06:01 PM.