IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HomeLink Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 03:05 PM
JTremain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HomeLink Question

I live in the city and have to park my car in my building's parking garage. As residents we have a key fob with 3 buttons on it. Each one opens different gates within the parking garage. I was wondering if HomeLink is able to connect to the signals on my key fob, so that I can use the HomeLink buttons instead. It's a small inconvenience but a pain that I have to keep my keys out just so that I can get in and out of the garage.
Old 10-09-14, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hello:

How to set up Homelink

Non Rolling Code Garage Doors:
1. Park the car in the driveway.
2. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button you want to program.
3. Press and hold both the garage door remote and the Homelink button until the red light rapidly flashes then release both buttons.
4. Test your newly programed Homelink button to ensure it opens the garage door. If door opens congrats! If not proceed to step 5.
5. Wipe out your Homelink system to start clean slate. Hold the first and third Homelink buttons until the red light rapidly flashes.
6. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button and press and hold. While holding the Homelink button, press and release the garage door remote in full one second intervals until the garage door opens or closes depending on whether the garage door were already opened or closed.

Rolling Code Garage Doors:
1. Park the car in the driveway
2. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button you want to program.
3. Press and hold both the garage door remote and the Homelink button until the red light rapidly flashes then release both buttons.
4. Grab a step stool or ladder and locate the trainer/testing button on the garage door motor (the unit on the ceiling). Press this button once. You have 30 seconds to get back to the car
5. On the Homelink button you programmed earlier, press and release, press and release and press and hold on the third time. (For each press and release, do so for full one second intervals).
6. The light on the garage door motor should go off/on and then immediately open or close the garage door depending on whether the garage door were already opened or closed.
7. Congrats, you Homelink should now be set. If the Homelink button does not open/close the garage. Press the tester/training button once more on the garage door motor and “Press and Release” the Homelink button until the garage door opens or closes.

If you still can't get it to work, because you have the latest garage door motor, you may need a $30 'Repeater'
Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit - Garage Door Hardware - Amazon.com Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit - Garage Door Hardware - Amazon.com

Also I note you said gates. You'll have to gain access (landlord) to the gate motors tester or learn button hiding behind the motor panel. Note some gates don't work.
Old 10-10-14, 05:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You probably don't have access to the controls on the garage door for your community to be able to program the HomeLink.
Old 10-10-14, 07:27 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You probably don't have access to the controls on the garage door for your community to be able to program the HomeLink.
That what I am thinking as well. Most likely the garage opener has Rolling Code but it doesn't hurt to try the no rolling code merhod and hopefully it will work.
Old 10-10-14, 08:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Google may be able to help. Look at the manufacturer and model number of the transmitter on your key fob, and then search for it.

I live in a gated community, and used this method to determine that our entry gates use a DKS system that is not homelink compatible.
Old 10-10-14, 10:24 AM
JTremain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Yeah I'll try to see if I can tell what company produced the machine that operates the gate. I hastily tried to do the non-rolling method this morning but that didn't seem to work.