2011 IS350 Drivers Side Vent Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 10:43 PM
illicit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS350 Drivers Side Vent Rattle

Hey Guys,

I just got my IS about 3 weeks ago, and a rattle in my driver's side vent started about a week and a half ago. I've googled and searched the CL forums, and found a bunch of creek and rattle threads but they were kind of general and couldn't really figure out what mine was specifically. It went away for about a day this past weekend, and came back yesterday, and today seems like it's gotten worse. Not louder, just more consistent. I used to only hear it on lightly bumpy roads. Today I was driving on a newly paved road and could hear it the whole way.

Wanted to get your guy's opinion before I brought it into Lexus to have them fix it. Figure if it was an easy fix I could just save the time and hassle and do it myself.

It basically sounds like there's a tiny piece of metal rattling around inside my vent, on the driver's side (i think).

I recorded a video today. You have to turn it up a bit to hear the rattle.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Last edited by illicit; 08-04-14 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Video link change
Old 08-04-14, 10:57 PM
Kd0t
Driver

Is it only apparent with ac/fan blowing?

If so, check out robdog's thread regarding dash removal. Refer to post #8 on driver side vent removal

Link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-process.html

On my IS350, I had a speedometer/cluster rattle that drove me insane especially on hot days.
Old 08-05-14, 06:44 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I took the vent out and added some felt tape around the edges. It made it better but still no fix. Let us know if you find a solution.
Old 09-13-14, 12:41 AM
illicit
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE

Hey guys. The sound was bugging me for quite a bit, but I was due for an oil change a couple weeks ago, so I gave in and took it into Lexus of Steven's Creek and had them take a look. Drove around with the tech for about 20 minutes and he couldn't reproduce the sound. Had me drive it and I was able to get it to make noise again.

Turns out my hearing was a bit off, and it wasn't coming from the driver's side vent. The sound was actually coming from the dash itself. It was the piece underneath the dash, just above the Tach, on the top right corner. on the paper work its called the "Cluster Bezel". I guess at certain temps the rubbing would create the creaking/metal rattle sound. They insulated it and did fixed the issue and the sounds all gone! Woo!

Thanks for the suggestions above, hope this helps other people who have a similar noise issue.
Old 09-13-14, 03:08 AM
JusticeK
Rookie

I have the exact same issue. When you say "insulated", they took the entire thing apart? How long did the process take?

Thanks!

Jay
Old 09-13-14, 01:11 PM
saturdays
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 2011 IS 350 in 2 weeks ago to get the same issue fixed. They said they took apart the dash and added felt tape in places wherever two pieces of plastic may be touching. Took around 30 minutes and most of the noise went away. If I listen VERY closely, I can sorta hear it still, but it's not nearly as annoying anymore.
Old 09-13-14, 02:09 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this exact same problem on my 2011 IS350 and yes, it was from the dash. I wedged something in the gap and it stopped for now. If it comes up again I'll have to bring it to the dealership.
Old 09-13-14, 11:37 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wunko
I have this exact same problem on my 2011 IS350 and yes, it was from the dash. I wedged something in the gap and it stopped for now. If it comes up again I'll have to bring it to the dealership.
I tore up tiny pieces of tissue papers and stuffed them between the bezel and the dash lol
Old 09-14-14, 09:42 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have rattles right by my left ear from where the window meets the rubber piece on the side. It turns out that the rubber hitting the window glass generates some tapping noise. Very annoying. I added some felt tap to make it stop.
Old 09-14-14, 10:26 AM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem on my IS250. All I did was remove the two plastic screws that hold up the plastic piece and voila, no noise. It's not a fix but it worked for me. I figured removing the two plastic screws won't damage anything.
Old 09-14-14, 11:12 PM
illicit
Driver School Candidate

Glad you all figured out your own fixes. The noise was driving me crazy. I was about to take apart the dash and pull out the vent. Good thing I didn't since that wasn't where it was coming from after all.

JusticeK - I'm not 100% sure to be honest. When we took it for a test drive, he said he was going to add some "insulation" to it. So I assume he took it apart and added something to prevent the rubbing/movement of that upper bezel. As as time, It didn't sound like it would take long, but I don't know the actual time of labor since it was covered under warranty, the paper work just says 0. I brought it in to Lexus for that and an oil change, so I took it early morning, and got a Loaner to get to work. I dropped it off at about 8AM and they called me to tell me it was done at around 3:30 PM. I'm sure they weren't working on it the whole time, obviously.