Transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 04:33 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission cooler

Hello All,

Have any one of us installing transmission cooler on either IS2 and IS3? I was thinking of putting one on mine. I did have one on my GS. Most transmission failure is due to heat. There is no DIY when I looked at it. If any one here have done one, pls post some pics. I will post some pic when I do it on mine, but it won't be any time soon.

Thank you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-installed.jpg
Old 04-04-14, 12:30 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I cannot remember, is there a factory trans cooler line that run externally on the 2IS? If so, you should easily be able to tap into that to run the aftermarket cooler. Just remember that adding all of that additional line AND the cooler itself will require you add MORE trans fluid into the system.
Old 04-07-14, 07:51 PM
GMech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS2 has a sealed transmission unit that uses coolant flow to bring heat away, unless you can find a flush kit which adds cooler lines to redirect the fluid outside for more cooling, I don't think it's possible.
Old 04-08-14, 05:23 PM
Gville350

Seems to me that my '06 IS350 trans would have the trans cooler and lines listed within the link below :

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S350-2006.html
Old 12-17-16, 12:09 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

Does anybody know if it was possible to add a transmission cooler to the second generation IS350 which has a 'sealed' transmission box.

I find my transmission is going into 'protection mode' after a few laps when tracking the car on days where the temperature is above >80 fahrenheit.

I did find this manual, and I am of the understanding that our IS350 uses the A760E model transmission. It notes there is the option of a 'tow pack', which then includes an Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Cooler in addition to the Warmer.

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...logs/A760E.pdf ... It is a PDF so takes between 45secs and 1minute to load.

On page 114 the comparisons diagrams between the ATF Warmer & Cooler looks as though you could potentially upgrade to the cooler, however I note on the following page (115) those transmissions with a ATM Cooler have an oil thermostat that switches the ATF passages ... so maybe the upgrade is not so simple.

Has anybody done this or used an aftermarket ATF Cooler?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Matthew
Old 12-17-16, 04:48 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I suppose it can be done. It would require a lot of work. You would need to put the cooler lines into a loop (so they don't go to the transmission) and then put a sump in and the right connectors to the transmission to pump and circulate fluid to a cooler rad mounted up front (is there room in front of the Radiator?).

You could also/instead try using a coolant wetter that will help remove more heat from the transmission.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10
Old 12-17-16, 06:21 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Hi Mrfix,

Many thanks for your prompt response!

Whilst there is room in front of the radiator, this sounds like more work than I would like to take on.

I will definitely add the wetter water you recommended and flush the transmission fluid fully.

Regards,

Matthew
Old 12-17-16, 07:23 PM
Gville350

If the "ATF warmer" is a unit that can be bolted on and off, you could potentially remove the unit w/o cooler lines and bolt-on one WITH the cooler lines. Then that way you have a OEM-like setup. But that's assuming the cooler lines are part of this unit that can be removed as a whole and the lines are not part of the trans case. Diagram pics (pg 114) were not too specific on that.

Edit : after looking at pics online of an IS350 trans vs the diagram pics in the PDF, they're not the same.

Last edited by Gville350; 12-17-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-17-16, 07:44 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Hi Gville350,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

I was hoping it could be relatively easily swapped, but alas it looks unlikely.

I will call Lexus on Monday and see whether this is feasible ... if it is I will post an update.

Regards,

Matthew
Old 12-19-16, 06:33 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SydneyAust
I find my transmission is going into 'protection mode' after a few laps when tracking the car on days where the temperature is above >80 fahrenheit.
Did you receive a notification on the display screen indicating that the transmission was in limp mode and were your RPMs being restricted to the low/mid range?

I've been curious on what the built-in safety measures are when the transmission is overloaded or if oil temps on the engine get too high (since we don't have an oil temp gauge like the IS-F folks).
Old 12-19-16, 11:45 AM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Hi Redspencer,

No message on dash, however the 'protection mode' is as exactly as you describe I.e. Limits revs to mid-range and changes up gears early.

I say 'protection mode' as I read somewhere true 'limp mode' was limited to 1st gear and 35km / 22m per hour, but I could be wrong on this point.

Regards,

Matthew
Old 12-19-16, 11:54 AM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Re the possible upgrade from the ATF Warmer to the ATF Cooler, I have sent the below query to Lexus Australia and will let you know how I go;

.....Query sent to Lexus Australia-----

Hi,

NB: Feel free to respond to this query in the New Year ... no doubt you are flat out this week with the lead up to Christmas.

I have a 2011 Lexus IS350 and are interested in upgrading the ATF Warmer to the ATF Cooler, due to the transmission 'protection mode' I experience when tracking the car after about 4 to 5 laps.

I am of the understanding that the 2011 Lexus IS350 uses the A760E transmission, which is also used in the Toyota Tundra.

In the below link, the manual on page 114 appears to show the ATF Warmer can be upgraded to the ATF Cooler.

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...logs/A760E.pdf

The ATF Cooler part number: 32971-34030

I have found this thread posted on one of the Toyota Tundra forums explaining how one owner has successfully completed this ATF Warmer to Cooler upgrade.

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/vbc...l-cooling.html (I have also copied and pasted the notes below)

As such, would it possible to upgrade the ATF Warmer to a Cooler and if so how much would it cost?

Regards,

Matthew
0466 776 556

Toyota Tundra Forum - Installing transmission oil cooling on non OEM tow package Tundra
I thought I might share a mod I have done to my '08 Tundra 4.7, adding an auto transmission oil cooler radiator to our non OEM tow package vehicle, bringing the towing capacity to max available for the Tundra.
When we purchased our Tundra 2nd hand, it did not have a tow hitch, so it also did not come with the transmission oil cooler. We had the dealer add a tow hitch as part of our purchase package, but to add the oil cooling was way too expensive. Without the transmission oil cooling though, recommended towing capacity of the Tundra is about 70% of full capacity when OEM towing package is installed.
So I did a bit of research and worked out that it really is not that difficult to fit an oil cooler. If you've done a bit of mechanical work on your truck, this should be pretty easy for you.

The parts you need are mostly OEM parts and can be purchased quite reasonable from Toyota Parts Zone.
The radiator I bought is a non OEM, as it is way cheaper, I bought mine from Makco Transmission Parts, a Derale Series 8000 cooler.
OK, here are the OEM parts you need to buy in order to cool the transmission oil.
- Transmission Oil Thermostat, part # 32971-34020 "A" in attached drawing
- O Ring, x2, part # 90301-19020 "D" in attached drawing
- Oil Cooler Tube assembly, part # 32910-0C010 "C" in attached drawing
- 3/8" hydraulic flexible hose
- clamps to suit 3/8" hose

Now, the oil cooler tube assembly is not really important, but I got it to make sure that all is neat next to the engine block and to try and keep it as close as possible to OEM standards.

You will need to remove the existing Transmission Oil Cooler assembly from the passenger side of the gearbox, accessed from under the truck. This is quite straight forward, I think you need to remove 4x bolts, the heater hoses and oil cooler hose, refer to attached drawing.
Be aware that water from the engine radiator/heater as well as about a pint of transmission oil will flow out when you remove the assembly and hoses.

Completely remove the transmission oil cooler assembly and proceed to disassemble it, by removing the Transmission Oil Cooler Spacer, "B" in attached drawing, held on by 3x bolts, also take out the 2x O rings and discard them, again, refer to attached drawing.
Now, install the two new O rings, then assemble the Transmission Oil Thermostat you bought, to the Transmission Oil Cooler. You will see a removable pin on the Thermostat, DO NOT remove that was yet!
Re-install the complete Transmission Oil Cooler assembly to the side of the gearbox.
If you have bought the Oil Cooler Tube assembly, bolt that to the passenger side engine block, this takes a bit of maneuvering to get it into place.
Now, cut 2 pieces of suitable length of your 3/8" hydraulic hose and attach one end to the new Transmission Oil Thermostat and the other ends to the Oil Cooler Tube.

Cut another 2 pieces of suitably long 3/8" hydraulic hose, attach one end to the Oil Cooler Tube assembly and suitably route the two hoses so they come out the passenger side in front of the engine radiator, see attached photo.
Install the transmission radiator you bought, see photo, and attach the two hydraulic hoses, one to the top and one to the bottom of the radiator, again see attached photo.
A side note, there are arrows marked on the Transmission Oil Thermostat, indicating which connection is in-flow and which is out-flow, so make sure you note that when connecting the hoses to the transmission radiator!
You will need to add about a pint and a half of transmission oil back to the gearbox, the extra half pint is for the hoses and radiator, and top up your engine radiator water.

Thats pretty much it for the installation, of course, each hose connection requires a suitable 3/8" hose clamp.
Start engine and allow to get to operating temperature.
Now, back to that removable pin on the Thermostat you installed. Once the engine is up to operating temperature, remove the pin. What this pin does is its keeping the valve open to allow transmission oil to flow to the newly installed radiator and for one of the better words, priming the whole oil cooling system. By removing it, the valve actually closes and prevents oil from circulating through the radiator until the oil gets warm enough to require cooling, usually only when towing.
Thats it, you're done. Your Tundra now has the full OEM towing package and you can now tow to full capacity!

I did go to the next step and wanted to keep an eye on the oil temperature whilst towing. I thought about buying an aftermarket transmission oil temp gauge, but I really did not want to add a gauge if I can get away with it. If you like the idea of extra gauges, then thats a good option. If you do go this way, you will either need to buy a mechanical oil gauge, or and electrical one with a suitable electrical sender.

Again I did some research and found that Toyota have mostly pre wired for most OEM add ons/extras and worked out that the wiring harness is already wired for the OEM transmission oil temp gauge located under the tacho. However, since our truck was not fitted with the OEM tow package, that gauge was not present.
So I started looking around for a used dash with that oil temp gauge fitted under the tacho. I found one on eBay and bought it. I installed the 'new' dash and voila!....it works..'plug and play', no extra wiring required!

Hope this DIY will come in handy with those who bought a Tundra without the OEM tow package.

-----End Query-----
Old 02-17-17, 12:53 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

Just an update to the above message.

Unfortunately the part numbers do not match ... I have noted through some other photos I have found on our ATF Warmer that there are some marginal differences with the 'hockey puck' design compared to the Toyota Tundra.

The recommendation was to increase the size of the radiator, which obviously makes sense.

As an interim measure I have 'changed' the ATF fluid ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9726262 ) and removed the plastic protective cover beneath the transmission, so as to let a lot more air flow around it.

I have another couple of track days over the next two months and temperatures are likely to be > 30C / 86F ... so hopefully this will solve the problem!
Old 06-10-19, 06:39 PM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SydneyAust
Hi All,

Just an update to the above message.

Unfortunately the part numbers do not match ... I have noted through some other photos I have found on our ATF Warmer that there are some marginal differences with the 'hockey puck' design compared to the Toyota Tundra.

The recommendation was to increase the size of the radiator, which obviously makes sense.

As an interim measure I have 'changed' the ATF fluid ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9726262 ) and removed the plastic protective cover beneath the transmission, so as to let a lot more air flow around it.

I have another couple of track days over the next two months and temperatures are likely to be > 30C / 86F ... so hopefully this will solve the problem!
Going to necro this post but I'm looking for a solution. I see just two options, adapter plates meant for flushes from the g-tec store to detour trans fluid to a typical external cooler (and bypass the coolant lines) OR re-route the OEM coolant feed line to a cooler then back to the tranny so that at least the coolant is cooler before then cooling the trans. Any progress on the trans cooling front for the ISx50?
Old 06-11-19, 02:40 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Token1
Going to necro this post but I'm looking for a solution. I see just two options, adapter plates meant for flushes from the g-tec store to detour trans fluid to a typical external cooler (and bypass the coolant lines) OR re-route the OEM coolant feed line to a cooler then back to the tranny so that at least the coolant is cooler before then cooling the trans. Any progress on the trans cooling front for the ISx50?
Good timing as we actually just had another CL member test out a transmission fluid cooler on his Lexus IS last week:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler