Looking at a few rims, need some feedback/advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 03:14 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at a few rims, need some feedback/advice

Hello CL,

So I've ventured off into the many Wheel threads across the forum and have decided on a set of Varrstoen ES7 for my IS250.

I recently upgraded my brakes to the OEM factory IS350 and have found it some what difficult to find the proper wheel style to fit without going too crazy with the offset/tire stretch game.

So I've come across the following sizes and I'm kind of in a perdicament and would like some guidance. I've been interested in 18x9.5 +22 and 18x10.5+22 for this set of wheel (don't ask me why, but it just seems like a conservative offset and width, correct me if I'm wrong). I've been told by the vendor that in order for the fronts to fit properly I will need atleast a 3mm spacer to clear the factory brakes OR I can get an even more aggressive offset like +12 which I don't really want to do because I want very minimal stretch when i get new tires.

My fendors are already rolled and pulled so I'm not afraid of doing more work as needed. From what I understand I'll need to also shave or mod my bumper tabs which is also fine. My main concern is stretching a tire as I DD this car about 70 miles a day and want something to fit reasonably speaking.

I'm open to any other style of rim that will clear the IS350 front brakes with conservative offsets as well, so I'm not really stuck on this particular rim but the price is mainly why I've been eye balling these rims. Any guidance would be appreciated.

With my coils on I'm currently about 1 finger gap in front and no finger gap in rear on the OEM 18's, just FYI.

Last edited by Deegee; 01-28-14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 03:28 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
Hello CL,

So I've ventured off into the many Wheel threads across the forum and have decided on a set of Varrstoen ES7 for my IS250.

I recently upgraded my brakes to the OEM factory IS350 and have found it some what difficult to find the proper wheel style to fit without going too crazy with the offset/tire stretch game.

So I've come across the following sizes and I'm kind of in a perdicament and would like some guidance. I've been interested in 18x9.5 +22 and 18x10.5+22 for this set of wheel. I've been told by the vendor that in order for the fronts to fit properly I will need atleast a 3mm spacer to clear the factory brakes OR I can get an even more aggressive offset like +12 which I don't really want to do because I want very minimal stretch when i get new tires.

My fendors are already rolled and pulled so I'm not afraid of doing more work as needed. From what I understand I'll need to also shave or mod my bumper tabs which is also fine. My main concern is stretching a tire as I DD this car about 70 miles a day and want something to fit reasonably speaking.

I'm open to any other style of rim that will clear the IS350 front brakes with conservative offsets as well, so I'm not really stuck on this particular rim but the price is mainly why I've been eye balling these rims. Any guidance would be appreciated.
There's really no way around it besides for stretching tires, at least for those kind of offsets. All the fender work and tab relocations are necessary in addition with stretching tires.

The only thing you could do to not stretch tires (much) would be too add camber, with arms, or to widebody/pull fenders a lot. None of which are really good for a daily driver either.
Old 01-28-14, 04:22 PM
cr3ativ3x
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea with that set of rims your not looking too good for dd... depending where you live is also another factor. I live in socal and the streets here are really ****ty so my rims take a brutal beating everyday. But i got HREs so they are made to last.
Old 01-28-14, 05:09 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

IDK...I've seen others rolling on +22 offsets w/o spacers. I guess it depends on the spoke design. Since the Varrstoen ES7s are not concave, they just might not clear like they said though. But 3mm really much.
Old 01-28-14, 07:03 PM
static250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly do not recommend stretching for daily driving. For that particular setup you would want to do a 225 and 255 setup. That is by no means a huge stretch but it is still stretched. Maybe take a look at linea corse wheels at wheeldude.com. Nice wheels with decent offsets to run the proper tire.
Old 01-28-14, 08:31 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am now running the ES2s with +22 offset, my question is how do you do a fender pull? And for my set up I have 235/35 F and 245/40 R and even with my coils the ride is pretty comfortable
Old 01-29-14, 07:09 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
There's really no way around it besides for stretching tires, at least for those kind of offsets. All the fender work and tab relocations are necessary in addition with stretching tires.

The only thing you could do to not stretch tires (much) would be too add camber, with arms, or to widebody/pull fenders a lot. None of which are really good for a daily driver either.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that with these offsets I'll need to stretch a tire to have some clearance from the fenders. I'm ok with a little stretch maybe a few millimeters but I'm more concerned with the rim poking out of the tire by about an inch for example. I'm just not trying to have the rim abdundantly poking out of the tire side walls, I love the look but the practicality is whats the deal breaker for me as this is my DD.

Originally Posted by cr3ativ3x
yea with that set of rims your not looking too good for dd... depending where you live is also another factor. I live in socal and the streets here are really ****ty so my rims take a brutal beating everyday. But i got HREs so they are made to last.
I live in San Antonio Texas, There roads here aren't the greatest either but managable. What size rims would you recommend if these are too aggressive?

Originally Posted by Gville350
IDK...I've seen others rolling on +22 offsets w/o spacers. I guess it depends on the spoke design. Since the Varrstoen ES7s are not concave, they just might not clear like they said though. But 3mm really much.
From what I understand the spoke design of the rim does play a huge factor in clearing the factory IS350 big brakes. Unfortunately most of the styles that Varrstoen offers will need atleast a 3-5mm spacer in the size I'm looking at (+22) with the exception of the ES3 style according to the vendor. The vendor mentioned if I got the lower offsets (+12) they'd clear fine but of course would require much more fender work (Which again I dont mind) but mainly an even more stretched tire for front clearance.

Originally Posted by static250
I highly do not recommend stretching for daily driving. For that particular setup you would want to do a 225 and 255 setup. That is by no means a huge stretch but it is still stretched. Maybe take a look at linea corse wheels at wheeldude.com. Nice wheels with decent offsets to run the proper tire.
I'm familiar with WheelDude so I'll check the site again and see what I can find. Does anybody know of any other brand wheel or style that would comfortably fit over my IS350 front brakes with still good looking offsets? Any recommendations is appreciated.

EDIT: The vendor recommended me go with +30 offset in the rear instead of +22. Would this look weird as my fronts will be +22 (more like +17 when I get the 3MM spacer to clear brakes)? It would seem the fronts would be more aggressive than the backs which I was under the impression the backs are typically more aggressive due to more room to work vs the front. Thanks.

Last edited by Deegee; 01-31-14 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 10:16 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by static250
I've been recommended by another forum user saying that for these specs

18x9.5 +22F
18x10.5+22R

the following tire sizes would be ideal;

225/40F
245/40R

Would the 245 in the rear be considered to be noticeably more stretch than the 255 you recommended?

I've heard a lot about tire side wall (narrow vs wide) what does this exactly mean and what brands of tires are best suited for stretching? Again, I'm trying to make my rims look like theres not much stretch to begin with.

EDIT: I plan on being low maybe a finger gap or less all around.

Last edited by Deegee; 01-31-14 at 10:25 AM.