07silverIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In For The Pics!
Old 03-12-14, 02:16 PM
Travis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how does this sub get powered with no external amp? I know the ML package has a external amp factory in the trunk, I guess that supplies it? The reason I ask is because I will do this with an aftermarket 8" slim subwoofer, I just won't use this polk one due ot personal experience with using their subwoofers, let alone a cheap one like the one OP provided. Can you use the existing wire harness or what will need to be done?

I'm assuming I'll have to cut and splice it from the original plug. I guess no aftermarket external amp will be added.

I'll be using something like a rockford, JL, or JBL.
Old 03-12-14, 02:29 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis
So how does this sub get powered with no external amp? I know the ML package has a external amp factory in the trunk, I guess that supplies it? The reason I ask is because I will do this with an aftermarket 8" slim subwoofer, I just won't use this polk one due ot personal experience with using their subwoofers, let alone a cheap one like the one OP provided. Can you use the existing wire harness or what will need to be done?

I'm assuming I'll have to cut and splice it from the original plug. I guess no aftermarket external amp will be added.

I'll be using something like a rockford, JL, or JBL.
The Pioneer one OP posted might be cheap in price, but I've had the 10" version of that shallow mount woofer in a box in my truck and have been abusing it for 7 (almost 8) years now and it is still as good if not better then when I got it. I think all they were doing with it is using the existing system (wires and all) and just connecting this sub in place of the ML sub. Unplug the harness and hook the wires to the new sub. Therefore it is powered by the existing amplifier.
Old 03-12-14, 03:17 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know why you guys go through all this. The ML sub is actually accurate in producing low frequency and have good quality. Even though it is not that crazy loud like others but it accurately produce low frequency. For loudness, you should add an external subwoofer + amplifier. I think the amplifier is what limit the power of the ML sub.
Old 03-12-14, 03:34 PM
Travis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
The Pioneer one OP posted might be cheap in price, but I've had the 10" version of that shallow mount woofer in a box in my truck and have been abusing it for 7 (almost 8) years now and it is still as good if not better then when I got it. I think all they were doing with it is using the existing system (wires and all) and just connecting this sub in place of the ML sub. Unplug the harness and hook the wires to the new sub. Therefore it is powered by the existing amplifier.
Hmm. I'm gonna think about it see what I want to do. I'll shop around a bit

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I don't know why you guys go through all this. The ML sub is actually accurate in producing low frequency and have good quality. Even though it is not that crazy loud like others but it accurately produce low frequency. For loudness, you should add an external subwoofer + amplifier. I think the amplifier is what limit the power of the ML sub.
I just got my IS about a month ago and I love the system minus the subwoofer. That said, since I'm new to the ML system, I'm not sure if it is supposed to sound the way it does. No one to compare to. The p/o informed me that they had the sub replaced at lexus because it blew up on them. I'm not sure if it's blown again or not. Some songs that are more bass intensive that I listen to, the sub just sounds very hollow I suppose. It doesn't vibrate, it just sounds like it can't produce the deep enough tones.
Old 03-13-14, 02:48 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Okay so i got my car from the shop today..
and uhm they put a lot of dynamat... which the OP didnt mention..
i know dynamat is optional but @#$% it i wanna put one just cause i want it LOOL
here are the pics

and the wiring..

and it fits in the rear deck

okay my review/opinion...
it sounds better but not 100 times as op stated. maybe 1.5 times better but not 100.
i can now play loud music without the bass distorting.
there are still rattle sounds but not much . the bass is so strong that the seatbelt assembly rattles but thats it. even if i play it max, the window will not shatter ...

question is ... is it worth it?

YES but only if you could do it yourself. you dont have to put dynamat as long as you have a thick speaker foam.
you will also need to drill it yourself but if ever you do bring it to a shop to have them do it for you, its not so worth it....

but im happy with it and its my car

edit: less rattles when i put the panels and maybe even less rattles when i put the seats on

Last edited by metaleckz; 03-13-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-13-14, 03:16 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for DIY, this is def a big help for all of us that want to do this
Old 03-13-14, 05:43 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder how is this compared to an external amp + sub. I thought the OEM amp is the bottleneck that is weak.
Old 03-13-14, 05:47 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just ordered the sub on amazon. From day one I was really disappointed with the subwoofer's performance. Once I discovered people have had issues with them it became clear they were being overdriven by the factory amplifier. I Hope to put it in next week and will provide my thoughts once I install it. The ML sub is accurate at low volumes but looses it composure as the volume increases. The other speakers have no problem keeping up but the sub in my opinion is the weak link of the ML system.

Now this in no way will compare to a JL 12W7 being fed 1kw at 3 ohms ( I had this in my SC400) but I am confident it will be a welcomed upgrade.

Last edited by wmjeffreyw; 03-13-14 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-13-14, 08:40 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
Just ordered the sub on amazon. From day one I was really disappointed with the subwoofer's performance. Once I discovered people have had issues with them it became clear they were being overdriven by the factory amplifier. I Hope to put it in next week and will provide my thoughts once I install it. The ML sub is accurate at low volumes but looses it composure as the volume increases. The other speakers have no problem keeping up but the sub in my opinion is the weak link of the ML system. Now this in no way will compare to a JL 12W7 being fed 1kw at 3 ohms ( I had this in my SC400) but I am confident it will be a welcomed upgrade.
Jeff let me know when it comes in ill give you a hand on doing this mod, I want to do it to mine but going to wait till my sub gives out completely next on the list for me is a CF lip
Old 03-13-14, 10:30 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

What if we change the amp instead of the subwoofer ?
Old 03-14-14, 06:26 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

I think in that case you would need to change both. Once I get the new subwoofer installed I will have a better idea whether or not the distortion was due to the factory sub not being able to handle the power the amp was providing or that the amp began to clip causing the speaker to heat up and fail. I have always had aftermarket stereo's in all my previous cars but With the exception of the subwoofer, I am very happy with the ML system. Since the sub woofer was only $70 and I plan to do the work myself I consider this a small investment to upgrade the existing sub woofer. There is a CL member SMD who in my opinion is the best of the best when it comes to car audio. His stuff is insane. He installed a system in his F that is AMAZING!!! He actually ran the sub for a short period of time with the factory door speakers and although it was not up to his standards they actually seemed to do a acceptable job of keeping up with his monster subwoofer. In the future I may install a class D amp in with a HQ sub but for now I will settle with this upgrade.
Old 03-14-14, 07:16 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dannyboy26
Jeff let me know when it comes in ill give you a hand on doing this mod, I want to do it to mine but going to wait till my sub gives out completely next on the list for me is a CF lip
sounds good hopefully I will install it sometime next week. In terms of the CF lip for you ride I kick myself Every day, I could've gotten the full Tom's kit with my car for $2000 and I passed on it!!!! dumb dumb!!!!!!'
Old 03-14-14, 07:37 AM
Jesse350IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best kind of aftermarket you could buy? I want to replace mine for the same reason as most people. My crackles once i hit in the 25+ volume range, Which kind of sucks because ML sounds really good at lower volume. I was thinking maybe JL audio replacement? any thoughts on that?
Old 03-14-14, 09:56 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jesse350IS
What is the best kind of aftermarket you could buy? I want to replace mine for the same reason as most people. My crackles once i hit in the 25+ volume range, Which kind of sucks because ML sounds really good at lower volume. I was thinking maybe JL audio replacement? any thoughts on that?
You know I run my system sometimes up to 40 on the volume and never heard any distortion... Why im thinking of waiting till my sub completely gives out before replacing it...

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson SUB replacement DIY