IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Strange smell during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 05:42 PM
bucs1985
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange smell during acceleration

How is it going fellow CLers? I have a problem with my 07 IS350 with 205,000 miles. During medium to hard acceleration their is a smell that I can't seem to figure out. When I told the dealership about it they could not replicate the smell. They replaced the cap of the coolant thinking it might be coolant spilling onto a hot engine but that wasn't the problem as it still exists. I will be telling them to check again but I wanted to see if anybody here has any experience with this problem or any ideas of what it could be. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 11-11-13, 06:50 PM
genaos11
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had same issue it was coolant was spilling n after I look into it did pressure test n I found out my water pump was going bad changed it problem fixed .... Hopefully help out
Old 11-11-13, 07:44 PM
bucs1985
Driver School Candidate

I had the water pump changed out about 5,000 miles ago. Maybe it's something else linked to the water pump or coolant. Preciate your help though.
Old 11-11-13, 08:49 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it a bad smell, like sulfur/rotten eggs?

If it is, its just your catalytic converter working. A search will yield multiple threads on this.
Old 11-12-13, 12:12 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry, but you have to be more specific abou the smell itself. Does it have a sweet coolant-type aroma, rotten egg-like smell, or burnt oil/fluid smell, or even an electrical burning-type smell?

Last edited by Gville350; 11-12-13 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 01:12 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If it smells like rotten eggs then your battery is kaputz.
Old 11-12-13, 01:57 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also there is a EGR line under your intake between the engine and the strut tower. I accidentally unplugged mine the other day and I got a weird smell through out the cabin with the vents open. Check those lines, maybe it maybe unplugged or a hole in the line that emmits these gasses and makes your cabin smell.

Also test one is when was the last time you changed your cabin filter?
Old 11-12-13, 05:48 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by MEAHT
WTF?
Old 11-12-13, 06:25 PM
P Rock
Driver

Your cats may be going bad. At that mileage it's certainly a possibility. Bad cats produce a rotten smell.
Old 11-12-13, 08:46 PM
bucs1985
Driver School Candidate

It is hard to describe the smell but the closest description would be slightly rotten. I will have the cats checked out and also look into the EGR line. Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 11-13-13, 12:35 PM
Gville350

Alotta mis-information on the cats around here; the cats are actually working FINE when you smell the odd eggish odor. Here's the first intelligent posting I found online quickly that explains it :

"On some vehicles, a sulfur smell or 'rotten egg' odor may be noticed coming from the exhaust system. The odor
is usually noticed after a cold start, fast idle, extended periods of idling and full throttle acceleration. Sulfur smell
is not an indication of an engine concern and will not cause reduced driveability or durability of the engine or
any of its emission components.
The sulfur smell or 'rotten egg' odor is caused by high amounts of sulfur in the gasoline being used in the vehicle.
Sulfur is normally eliminated during the refining process, but the EPA regulation of sulfur in gasoline differs
from state to state. Vehicles using fuel containing high amounts of sulfur will most likely emit sulfur smell from
the exhaust system.
When high sulfur fuel is burned, there is a chemical reaction in the catalytic converter causing the sulfur to oxidize.
As the vehicle is driven, the oxidizing reaction odor in the converter will decrease with mileage and age."

My '06 IS350 still has this odor when I outright flog it at WOT for at least 5 seconds.
Old 11-13-13, 01:14 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
WTF?

Just tryin to help.
Sorry if my answer wasn't up to par.

Thought I had the same problem during acceleration since I always got a big whiff of the smell right after but it was just the battery.
Old 11-13-13, 08:11 PM
bucs1985
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Alotta mis-information on the cats around here; the cats are actually working FINE when you smell the odd eggish odor. Here's the first intelligent posting I found online quickly that explains it :

"On some vehicles, a sulfur smell or 'rotten egg' odor may be noticed coming from the exhaust system. The odor
is usually noticed after a cold start, fast idle, extended periods of idling and full throttle acceleration. Sulfur smell
is not an indication of an engine concern and will not cause reduced driveability or durability of the engine or
any of its emission components.
The sulfur smell or 'rotten egg' odor is caused by high amounts of sulfur in the gasoline being used in the vehicle.
Sulfur is normally eliminated during the refining process, but the EPA regulation of sulfur in gasoline differs
from state to state. Vehicles using fuel containing high amounts of sulfur will most likely emit sulfur smell from
the exhaust system.
When high sulfur fuel is burned, there is a chemical reaction in the catalytic converter causing the sulfur to oxidize.
As the vehicle is driven, the oxidizing reaction odor in the converter will decrease with mileage and age."

My '06 IS350 still has this odor when I outright flog it at WOT for at least 5 seconds.
Would it be normal for it to happen all of a sudden? I usually use the same gas stations now as I did when I bought the car new. I never had this problem the first 195,000 miles or so, so I'm thinking something is messed up somewhere in the car.
Old 11-13-13, 08:43 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

the battery? how does this even correlate at all?
Old 11-13-13, 09:33 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
the battery? how does this even correlate at all?
At over 200k I assumed the OP knew that rotten egg smell on acceleration was normal on some cars.

Like mentioned above I thought he was experience the same symptoms as mine.

Just tryin to help :|

Quick Reply: Strange smell during acceleration