IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Timing Cover Leak, but no visible oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 12:26 PM
chattanett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Timing Cover Leak, but no visible oil?

I've seen this topic discussed on this forum and other sites as well, so I know that my diagnosed timing cover leak on my 2006 IS350 is a legitimate problem that is gonna cost me $$$ to fix (I've been quoted $2000). BUT, I am confused because I don't see any external evidence of a leak??? No oil underneath my car and no evidence of low oil, even though my mechanic has now told me at the last two oil changes that I need to get this fix scheduled. "Once a leak, always a leak", he says! Still, why don't I see oil under my car? Is it puddling somewhere in the engine? If I'm not seeing evidence of the leak, how bad can it be? (I'm no mechanic, guys, and I try to never open the hood. I know when to depend on those who know more than I do about engines...and oil leaks!)
Old 07-09-13, 01:33 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

im in the same boat. went to lexus dealership for recall services, i come and they say timing cover leak also but will cost $5500
i ignored them because i didnt see any oil in my parkin spot
i went somewherre else for exhaust work and they told me same thing...
what to do... what to do................
Old 07-09-13, 01:36 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chattanett
I've seen this topic discussed on this forum and other sites as well, so I know that my diagnosed timing cover leak on my 2006 IS350 is a legitimate problem that is gonna cost me $$$ to fix (I've been quoted $2000). BUT, I am confused because I don't see any external evidence of a leak??? No oil underneath my car and no evidence of low oil, even though my mechanic has now told me at the last two oil changes that I need to get this fix scheduled. "Once a leak, always a leak", he says! Still, why don't I see oil under my car? Is it puddling somewhere in the engine? If I'm not seeing evidence of the leak, how bad can it be? (I'm no mechanic, guys, and I try to never open the hood. I know when to depend on those who know more than I do about engines...and oil leaks!)
You don't see oil because 1) it's usually not a large leak that results in quarts of oil being dripped, and 2) it's because there is a cover underneath that's absorbing the leaked oil regardless.

If you have your car on a rack and look underneath, through the oil change cover, you'll see that there is oil residue coming from the timing chain cover.
Old 07-09-13, 01:54 PM
chattanett
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Uda880
You don't see oil because 1) it's usually not a large leak that results in quarts of oil being dripped, and 2) it's because there is a cover underneath that's absorbing the leaked oil regardless.

If you have your car on a rack and look underneath, through the oil change cover, you'll see that there is oil residue coming from the timing chain cover.
OK, so how long can I / should I go without getting this fixed? Its a 2006 with 160,000 miles on it -- I LOVE the car, there are not other mechanical issues, and its paid for, so I'm leaning toward the fix (especially since I drive a lot of highway miles, so anything I might replace it with will rack up the mileage very quickly)... but someone has told me that there are oil additives that I can purchase that will help to seal the leak without the expensive fix. Does anyone out there actually recommend this as a short-term fix?
Old 07-09-13, 02:11 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chattanett
OK, so how long can I / should I go without getting this fixed? Its a 2006 with 160,000 miles on it -- I LOVE the car, there are not other mechanical issues, and its paid for, so I'm leaning toward the fix (especially since I drive a lot of highway miles, so anything I might replace it with will rack up the mileage very quickly)... but someone has told me that there are oil additives that I can purchase that will help to seal the leak without the expensive fix. Does anyone out there actually recommend this as a short-term fix?
  • Oil Additives: this has been discussed before. You're just gunking up your engine with excess metals and sealants. Don't do this.
  • How long before fix: Typically it can be technically driven for quite a while. Most people don't notice the leak until you're noticing having to deal with a low oil light all the time. But don't take my word for it - I'd suggest you getting it fixed when your finances allow. (Also, if your engine ever malfunctions due to oil starvation or any other problem, no one on the forums will care. Take care of your engine/car.)
Old 07-09-13, 02:19 PM
chattanett
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Uda880
  • Oil Additives: this has been discussed before. You're just gunking up your engine with excess metals and sealants. Don't do this.
  • How long before fix: Typically it can be technically driven for quite a while. Most people don't notice the leak until you're noticing having to deal with a low oil light all the time. But don't take my word for it - I'd suggest you getting it fixed when your finances allow. (Also, if your engine ever malfunctions due to oil starvation or any other problem, no one on the forums will care. Take care of your engine/car.)
Thanks. I had not looked up any posts on the oil additives, but I'm not surprised that they're not entirely healthy for my car. And, I'm absolutely not interested in starving my car for oil, either! I do like it way too much for that.
Old 07-10-13, 12:28 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

It's now a high mileage car and seals will tend to leak more. It's a fact of vehicle life. But if it were me, I'd say F it and continue on my business; just closely monitor the oil levels on longer trips.
Old 04-18-17, 10:17 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

So, 4 years later do you still have the car? Still just a slow leak?
Old 08-14-18, 08:17 PM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

On the subject of timing cover leak, when looking to buy a used GX, can this leak be seen without taking half the stuff in the engine bay out? I mean can it be detected just by looking in the right spot? And if so, where to look for it?

Thanks