IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulled over in your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 10:09 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotten pulled over to many times so I'd rather not share my stories as my "annoyance" with CHP has reached an all time high, but I've only gotten one speeding ticket in my IS250 and it cost me $350.00 and they called it "unsafe speed for prevailing conditions." Let's just say I'm trying to go without talking to my "pals" at CHP for a couple years right now.
Old 02-11-13, 11:45 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Probably got pulled over like 8 times in my life. 7 for tint and 1 for exhaust. All in my IS. Only got warning once. Airport police trying to give me a ticket in a unmarked cruiser.
Old 02-12-13, 05:54 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I once was approached by an undercover cop with his gun drawn while I was at a gas station pumping gas. Take it I'm normally polite to cops as I have three brother in-laws who are LEO's. However this cop was a total *******. I was dressed in business attire clothing as I had just gotten off work.

this is how it went down, take it I was driving slow as this area is near the MIA airport and always has cops around the area. I also did not notice him until he got close to me with his gun drawn.

COP: what are you doing?

ME: I look at him with a WTF face.......ummmm I'm paying for gas

COP: where are you coming from is this your car, this car fits the description of one that was involved in a robbery.

Me. Yes it's my car, and I going from work.

COP: you're **** are too dark, I'm going to test them and if they are dark ticket you for them( by this time I'm pissed and this fgt is profiling me (Young Latin male in a nice car with a bad neighborhood not too far away)

ME. I tell him what....do I look like a thug to you am I dressed like a thug......It can’t be that I went to school and got a good job right? Luckily I had my phone in my hand and I start calling my brother in-law (He's also a detective for a Narc Unit).

COP: Who are you calling.

ME: My brother in-law whom is also a detective (By this time my brother in-law has picked up and he's hearing what’s happening and I proceed to tell him what he's doing and how he says he's going to give me a ticket for my tints) The cop comes back and he ask me to open my car which I do not I put my windows just enough to get his meter on the window and clearly tell him I do not give him consent to go inside my car. (By this time my brother in law is telling to calm down and he says he's just being an @$$ whole and let him do what he wants to do and that he'll take care of it.

COP: your tints are too dark I can give you a ticket for it but I'm going to let you go with a warning, I'm patrolling this area now and I will remember your car.

ME: (being that smart *** that I am I ask him) once question (my brother in law still on the phone) what type of car was the one involved in the accident. (Cop is still next to me)

COP: ohh a Silver Chevy Impala on big wheels like this one.

ME. I tell him well this is a Lexus IS and last time I checked I did not pay almost 30K for a POS American car. (He's American so decided to take a jab at him).

COP: GET THOSE TINTS FIXED!

ME: Have a nice day officer (with a grin on my face).

Now take it had my brother in-law had not picked up I would have probably gotten either my *** kicked or arrested so I don’t recommend every one do what I did.

One other time I got followed by a cop from a subway (nearest subway to my parents house is in a bad area). Cop followed to my parents driveway to ask me what I was buying. I said (Subway) with it in my hands, he says you sure it was not drugs, I raise my bag of subway and say subway way sir and you're welcome to search me and my car if you like. He says no need and drives off.

Now my integra I've owned for 13 years so I have a couple of stories on that car but I don't think any one wants to hear them.
Old 02-12-13, 07:00 AM
DGNY2009
Driver

I've got all the normal tickets that come along with a moding your car in the past. Was stopped two weeks ago i was merging on the highway at night and accelerated around the car in front of me to the middle lane when the car that was coming up kinda fast in the middle lane gets up my azz i look down at the speedo was going 80 when i looked in the rear view the lights came on i immediately pulled over.

Convo went like this
Off: Do you know why i stopped you Me: I was kinda moving.
Off: Yup you where going 76... do you know the speed limit Me:65?
Off: its 55 here were you going in such a rush.Me: I'm running late for work.
Off: where do you work. Me: Raffertys (its a Bar)
Off: Ok sit tight.
Off: runs my papers etc. comes back... I'm gonna cut you a break SLOW DOWN!
Me: Thank You have a safe night.

I have never been stopped by a Trooper and let off so i was in shock idk why he let me off could have been a customer at the bar or he really didn't clock me just went by what this speedo said or was in a good mood you never know but i was real happy i pay enough in insurance already lol
Old 02-12-13, 07:06 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lysis250
It was finals week for me at college and i drove out a little late from home. While I was trying to get to class on time i was hitting 55 in a 45 zone and chasing a guy on a bike for the fun of it. I ended up cutting a car off and there happened to be a cop right around the corner. When he pulled me over asked me the regular questions they ask and took my papers, just like the guy that started this thread my insurance card was expired he fined me for that and unsafe lane change. My TOTAL FINE IS COSTING ME $1,095.00. That's how stupid the CA police are.
I love the last line in this story. "That's how stupid CA police are." Do you realize the story you just told....I'm not gonna call you stupid but you're in the wrong. What so many people fail to realize is that there laws and laws need to be enforced. We are ALL guilty of breaking them. Police just choose to pick at which to give tickets to. Most don't want to give a jay walking ticket, but it is illegal. Petty to most of us but there are so many laws we break and think its no big deal. Just remember, it's their job to enforce the laws. It's the cities or counties that set the price on the tickets.
Old 02-12-13, 07:38 AM
B16da9
Racer

Just an FYI as I see a lot of people that have posted do it.

When a cop asks you "Do you know how fast you were going" Do not answer with a number as you are admitting guilt. Instead reply with " I believe I was going to speed limit or I don’t believe I do".

You can also record the conversation on your smart phone as where you are being pulled over is a public place and you can use it in court.

BTW: I am not an attorney and I only say this from my personal experience so use it at your own digression.
Old 02-12-13, 07:41 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eff the police ur car is cocaine sexXx
Old 02-12-13, 10:27 AM
dong888
Pole Position

As much as I dont like being issued a ticket, I do believe that police are necessary. They are to here enfornce the law, despite how petty it is.

Without law enforcement, we would not have to enjoyed the neighborhood. if you dont want police, just imagin living in a neighborhood where police normally do not patrol. It is called a ghetto.

Lets try to have a positive attitude toward police officer and for those of us who got away without a ticket, let's think of it as being lucky and not calling names.
Old 02-12-13, 10:57 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by dong888
As much as I dont like being issued a ticket, I do believe that police are necessary. They are to here enfornce the law, despite how petty it is.

Without law enforcement, we would not have to enjoyed the neighborhood. if you dont want police, just imagin living in a neighborhood where police normally do not patrol. It is called a ghetto.

Lets try to have a positive attitude toward police officer and for those of us who got away without a ticket, let's think of it as being lucky and not calling names.
I'm sorry but the @SShole that did what he did to me at a gas station is just that an @*******. Even my brother inlaws agreed that he was being just that and was profiling me so he deserved to called just that.
Old 02-12-13, 11:25 AM
EGIS250
Driver School Candidate

I got an exhibition speed ticket in September in my 68 AMC Javelin. Roasted the tires at a stoplight. Cop pulled me over, I'm very courteous and explained I got on it a little too heavy. Wrote me for 23109(c) - Misdemeanor, 2 point violation, about $1200.

Ticket never has been filed. I show up on my court date, ticket not in system and get a stamp showing I appeared. Ticket was lost or cop decided not to file. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me - driving record still 100% clean.

Other tickets I've had - (2) for speeding - went to traffic school, off my record and (1) speeding - fought the ticket and the officer never appeared.
Old 02-12-13, 11:30 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll share too.
California Highway Patrol..

CHP: Good morning sir
Me: Good Morning
CHP: Know why I pull you over?
Me: No, im sure I wasnt speeding
CHP: Your windows are too dark
CHP: License, Reg. and proof of Ins. please
Me: Handed over to him.
CHP: You know the Toyota behind you?
Me: No, why?
CHP: He was following too close
Me: Then why didnt you pull him over? thats worst than my windows
CHP: Because your windows are darker than his
Me: ok...
*got a "fix it" ticket..*
CHP: Did you buy the car new?
Me: Im late for work
CHP: have a nice day..

Pulled over in your IS?-photo.jpg
Old 02-12-13, 11:41 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

this was when i still had my IS350.

was driving back to the office after taking care of a work-related errand some time in the early afternoon when i passed a gas station w/ a CHP cruiser gassing up. next thing i know, mr. CHP peeled out of the gas station and lined up right behind me. i wasn't speeding, and my V1 didn't light up, so i didn't pay him much attention until he lit me up and pulled me over. it was a narrow three-lane street, so i pulled into a parking lot... of a supermarket/shopping center.

i rolled down my front windows and waited for him to walk over.

CHP: do you know why i pulled you over?
me: no, i don't.
CHP: your front license plate is missing.
me: (taking it out of the front door pocket) no, it's right here.
CHP: well, it needs to be secured to the bumper...
me: (cutting him off) ... i bought this car brand new in 2006, and the front bumper was never drilled for the front license plate. came that way from the dealership.
CHP: that's not my problem.
me: well, i can zip-tie it. i've got a few zip-ties in the trunk, so...
CHP: too late, son.
me: you're kidding me, right?
CHP: no, i'm not. license, registration, and proof of insurance.
me: (muttering) ***hole.

the next day, i went online and ordered a rho-plate.
Old 02-12-13, 01:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna

was driving back to the office after taking care of a work-related errand some time in the early afternoon when i passed a gas station w/ a CHP cruiser gassing up. next thing i know, mr. CHP peeled out of the gas station and lined up right behind me. i wasn't speeding, and my V1 didn't light up, so i didn't pay him much attention until he lit me up and pulled me over. it was a narrow three-lane street, so i pulled into a parking lot... of a supermarket/shopping center.

me: (cutting him off) ... i bought this car brand new in 2006, and the front bumper was never drilled for the front license plate. came that way from the dealership.

He was just doing his job....

If you didn't cut him off or argue with the CHP officer, he might've let you go with a warning. I'm sure you already knew the front plate has to be actually mounted to the front of the car and not inside your front door pocket It really isn't his problem if the dealer didn't mount it for you, its your problem lol.

Hell, I don't like the front plate either, I never put it on. Dealer didn't drill holes for it either, but I drove around fully expecting to get pulled over for it.. Got pulled over a few times, no ticket cuz I didn't argue. Usually it just ends with something like "Alright i'll let you off with a warning, but I need you put that plate back on for me." And that's it, I go on with my day without a ticket.

A couple months ago though, I actually got a ticket for it. Can't expect an officer to let you slide for it all the time. Put it back on without drilling it, got it signed off, and i'm riding around with it on for now. But i'm sure i'll get sick of it, take it off again, and then see how long I can ride out my luck again. Took me 2 years to finally get a ticket for it the first time lol
Old 02-12-13, 01:33 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna

Got that one too... Tried the same excuse... CHP just doesn't care, had to order the grimmspeed tow hitch mount... Hate that stupid law in CA, ruins the front lines of the car just so they can get a flat surface to Radar/Lidar off of.
Old 02-12-13, 02:31 PM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an entertaining thread!

I just got my first ticket a couple months ago. A CHP officer followed me out of a gas station and pulled me over because my exhaust was too loud (Fsport + Invidia Midpipe) and gave me a correctable violation for modified exhaust, no front plate, & tinted front windows.

I got the rho-plate and mounted my plate on the front bumper, used a fabric steamer to peel my front tint off, and did the PITA DIY of putting my stock midpipe back on. When I went to the Police Department to get the ticket signed off, the officer just glanced out the window at my car and signed off my violations.

Exciting story, I know.

Quick Reply: Pulled over in your IS?